Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of warranty concerns about Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I'm approaching 36,000 miles in 10 months, I'm also concerned about out of pocket expenses, when out of warranty. I will probably hit the 50K mark before November. Since the 'extended warranty' hardly mimics the 4 yr, 50K new car warranty, I'm 'tortured' about what to do. I think it's more important to have options when a part fails. Having Tesla reflash the car when necessary, is ok, as long as it's cost-reasonable, and Tesla will do so. Access to parts and service manuals is more of a concern.

I am thinking about buying a salvage Tesla, for parts. I know. certain parts will have to be flashed, but a bumper, and alot of other parts won't be. Besides, I'm more interested in the non-destructive dismantling and reassembly of the vehicle. I also would like to get into a drivetrain, and see what can be done. Sure, Tesla has far more capital and resources than I do, but understanding the specifics would make me far more comfortable. I'm not ready to dismantle mine (yet), but if this appeals to anyone else, let me know. I'm in California. The salvage MS would need to be in a reasonable condition. I'd prefer a 85 kW, with complete drivetrain, center console, and HVAC. Finally, I have commented on buying the entire replacement part for a certain price, but exchange prices have to be reasonable. If I have to cough up $2700 for a center console, I expect to keep the old one. Otherwise, it should be a reasonable fraction of that cost.

BTW, I have the experience working on motive EV's.

Scotty

As I understand it (in my dealings with Tesla in another capacity), they will NOT sell parts with the express intent of fixing a salvage/totaled vehicle. Their mentality behind this is to help maintain the residual of the current clean-titled cars. Someone should definitely correct me if I am wrong here...

Edit: misread your intent, but left my post body for education/objections.

Last edited:
Except in Southern California, several different agencies control the toll lanes/roads. With the Tesla and HOV stickers, one can drive for free on I-110 and I-10 express lanes, but this requires a transponder with a three position switch. The switch must be in the third position to avoid tolls.

And, of course, there are no external transponders that have the switches...

Same in VA, but I was able to get a license plate mounted transponder, but I have to call them to activate HOV mode. It's a PITA, but it's a workaround. (it's 2015 why can't this **** be done online?)

As I understand it (in my dealings with Tesla in another capacity), they will NOT sell parts with the express intent of fixing a salvage/totaled vehicle. Their mentality behind this is to help maintain the residual of the current clean-titled cars. Someone should definitely correct me if I am wrong here...

I think you misread my intent (or I was unclear). I would not be trying to purchase parts for fixing a salvage title Tesla. I would be purchasing a Salvage Titled Tesla, and then documenting procedures to remove and replace parts, as well as having the parts on the Salvage titled tesla as a spare parts 'bin'.
Back in the early 70's, a boyfriend of my sister had a 1953 Jaguar, with a dash plaque denoting a speed record. He then showed me the parts car he had in his barn, so if he needed a part, it was hopefully available off his parts car.

Maybe it's not cost effective, but I have made it more of a rule than an exception, to purchase tools, programmers, etc for infrequent use, but more for the independence that having them give me.

Scotty

I think you misread my intent (or I was unclear). I would not be trying to purchase parts for fixing a salvage title Tesla. I would be purchasing a Salvage Titled Tesla, and then documenting procedures to remove and replace parts, as well as having the parts on the Salvage titled tesla as a spare parts 'bin'.
Back in the early 70's, a boyfriend of my sister had a 1953 Jaguar, with a dash plaque denoting a speed record. He then showed me the parts car he had in his barn, so if he needed a part, it was hopefully available off his parts car.

Maybe it's not cost effective, but I have made it more of a rule than an exception, to purchase tools, programmers, etc for infrequent use, but more for the independence that having them give me.

Scotty

Yeah, sorry... you replied as I edited. Misread your intent. Although I will say that Tesla makes minor revisions to parts and things, or so I understand it. Hence you'd need to find one within your "legacy". But who knows if thats true or just SC not letting people retrofit

Although I will say that Tesla makes minor revisions to parts and things, or so I understand it. Hence you'd need to find one within your "legacy". But who knows if thats true or just SC not letting people retrofit

i have first hand experience on this I think. The airbag control module (the cover of the steering wheel with the big tesla symbol) is already different and a different revision does not function at all even (not even the honk) when all plugs mate together.

Remember that the Extended Service Agreement is a contract between you and TMC. This is the document that contains the provision that all maintenance visits (12.5K miles/1 year) must have been performed (within +/-1000 miles or 1 month of schedule, respectively). The factory warranty, in contrast, is subject to several consumer protection laws that indeed prohibit TMC from denying WARRANTY coverage simply because you didn't do a maintenance as scheduled (12.5K miles or 1 year, whichever comes first*).

*As a lawyer, I do note that the recommended service is 12.5K miles or 1 year, and that the "whichever comes first" isn't specified. I believe it would be a novel case to test this with someone who has the "4 year" pre-paid service to actually elect a yearly schedule.

I'll let you know what happens in my case. I am doing once a year service intervals. I bought the prepaid service plan. I drive more than 12.5k miles per year.
I get the service done at the same time I put my winter tires on in November. Last November I had 26000km on my car, and as of today, I have 52000km...so will have over 60000km by this November.

I certainly hope that by the time a significant number of Model S's are out of warranty Tesla gets their act together, or at least is more considerate to 3rd party repair shops. As it stands now not only will it cost a fortune to own a Tesla past 50k miles but the resale values are going to tank as well to compensate.

Perfectly said.

I am looking at buying a CPO MS in the next 6 months, but if my resell value will be shot in 2-3 years because I'm out of warranty (I drive about 25k miles/yr.), why should I even consider buying a MS, until they get a better system for dealing with issues that arise with out of warranty MS repairs. My second thought was to buy a brand new one, but Im in the same boat, seeing as how the extended warranty doesn't seem to be worth the costs....

I love(d) this car and the company in general, but this thread has me second guessing them all together. I just assume that they will HAVE to figure out a way to remedy this "situation." The bad press that will come from these issues in the next couple years would be too much for any company to handle, let alone a brand new company that is still trying to make a name for themselves.

A lot more publicized post warranty work would help. A lot of people are scared to death about what post warranty Tesla ownership is all about. Having more examples of what things cost, refurb vs. new, and Tesla's repair behavior vs. warranty work (i.e. drive unit replacement vs. just fixing it). I am doing you all a favor by being one of those who is now in post warranty life. I will post my experiences.

BTW, it would sure be nice if Tesla opened up it's repair manuals to those outside of Massachusetts. That might allay some of these fears.

I think from now on I will only be buying post warranty Teslas, as the new car buying experience is just too costly. No offense to those who prefer the "peace of mind" of an in-warranty Tesla.

Lets start a new thread with a listing of all the issues and how they were resolved.

I too am out of warranty for the S, but so far no issues.

For the roadster I git the extended warranty (another 3 years from now), but only for the vehicle, not for the battery (too expensive, waiting for the roadster upgrade).

Lets start a new thread with a listing of all the issues and how they were resolved.

For the roadster I git the extended warranty (another 3 years from now), but only for the vehicle, not for the battery (too expensive, waiting for the roadster upgrade).

Great idea, I think it would be important to list the production number of your vehicle in your post so we can try to see if Tesla has fixed the issues in later production runs.

I think this is a great idea and perhaps Cyclone's existing thread where others have chimed in about out of warranty repairs is a good place to start. I think Yogi Bear talked about his repair on that thread also :)

Has anyone ever looked into third-party warranty providers instead of Tesla's extended warranty, such as Pay My Repair? There are plans that cover everything the original factory warranty covered with no deductibles.

I would be really weary about third party warranty options for a Model S, given the car's drivetrain, battery, and electronics are completely different to components found in ICE cars that their coverage is typically based on. For example I bet many of the extended warranties by third parties have an exclusion for the 12V battery as that is considered a wear are tear type item and they may extend that notion to the battery pack and related components.

Also there are many stories of insurance companies writing a bunch of policies and then going out of business so any policy needs to be from a reputed company you know will be around.

I think what you need to look for something called an "Exclusionary Policy" where everything other than what is explicitly excluded is covered. Obviously this means the battery is not excluded :)

You probably need to get written confirmation that the warranty will cover the EV drivetrain, battery, and all electronics and LCDs screes in the car. If you do find such a plan, please let us know. I would not want to own a Model S out of warranty either but unless Tesla changes some of their policies, I am increasingly coming to the realization that their Extended Warranty (ESA) is a really bad deal when combined with the $4,000 cost, the $600 required for each annual service, and then the $200 deductible for every single thing they fix.

I would be really weary about third party warranty options for a Model S, given the car's drivetrain, battery, and electronics are completely different to components found in ICE cars that their coverage is typically based on. For example I bet many of the extended warranties by third parties have an exclusion for the 12V battery as that is considered a wear are tear type item and they may extend that notion to the battery pack and related components.

Also there are many stories of insurance companies writing a bunch of policies and then going out of business so any policy needs to be from a reputed company you know will be around.

I think what you need to look for something called an "Exclusionary Policy" where everything other than what is explicitly excluded is covered. Obviously this means the battery is not excluded :)

You probably need to get written confirmation that the warranty will cover the EV drivetrain, battery, and all electronics and LCDs screes in the car. If you do find such a plan, please let us know. I would not want to own a Model S out of warranty either but unless Tesla changes some of their policies, I am increasingly coming to the realization that their Extended Warranty (ESA) is a really bad deal when combined with the $4,000 cost, the $600 required for each annual service, and then the $200 deductible for every single thing they fix.

Like I had said before, they have policies which cover everything the original factory warranty covered, which includes 12v batteries and such. But yes, looking into what they include and exclude would definitely be a major part of whether you would get one or not. I did notice though that a couple of them specifically mentioned Tesla when trying to choose the make and model, so they seem to not be completely ignorant on the car. Consumer reports has a bunch of information on the companies that offer them.

Like I had said before, they have policies which cover everything the original factory warranty covered, which includes 12v batteries and such. But yes, looking into what they include and exclude would definitely be a major part of whether you would get one or not. I did notice though that a couple of them specifically mentioned Tesla when trying to choose the make and model, so they seem to not be completely ignorant on the car. Consumer reports has a bunch of information on the companies that offer them.

I just looked into PayMyRepair and you are right in that they have Tesla as a selection criteria but what disturbs me when digging further is that they are not a warranty company. They seem to be a front that takes your information and gives it to warranty companies. Not that there is anything wrong with that per se but you are going to end up most likely dealing with a company you may not have heard before and I've ready articles about these companies that pop up, sign up people for warranty coverage and then disappear. I highly recommend that you only consider a company that is well known and has been around for a while for warranty coverage.

I've looked around and have not found any warranty companies that I thought I could trust. I think the Tesla extended warranty market is better addressed by Tesla themselves and with a few changes they can offer Tesla customers a more reasonable and compelling extended warranty coverage option.

If you do come across a more viable Tesla warranty option for full coverage with a $0 deductible, please let us know...