Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out with the ICE and in with the EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NewTMSMan

Aug 21, 2017
USA
Picked up my new P100DL today, amazing car. Traded my Panamera 4S.

Porsche and Tesla.jpg

Thanks guys, love the car so far. So quick comparatives with the Panamera 4S:

1. Seating - Tesla front seats are much more comfortable and have better fit and bolstering (Porsche had 14 way seats). Will miss front seat cooling, but not the biggest loss. Rear seats on Porsche are much better that Tesla, but again not a huge deal for me as we rarely use them.
2. Powertrain - I never likes the tuning of the PDK in the Panamera. Always felt soft and lagging to me, so comparatively the Telsa drivetrain is light years better, no comparison. The Porsche was quick (0-60 in 4.2s), but the P100D is ridicufast. I also have a 2016 Corvette Z06 with an intake and the Tesla makes it feel sluggish and no way I can get anywhere near the power down with the Vette that I can with the Model S.
3. Handling - The Porsche has very good handling and in Sport+ mode nice turn in and nice transition to slight oversteer on powering out the exit of corners. The Tesla really turns in crisply and handles well. I haven't really pushed it, but the impression I have of the Model S so far is up to 7/10 it handles great, but after that physics comes in to play and the heavy car does not like late braking and seems to understeer into corners if you enter too quickly and it doesn't really rotate under power the way the Porsche did. Again have not driven it enough to really judge yet, but feels that way initially.
4. Electronics - Porsche had a nice package and I actually ended up liking all the buttons once you get used to it. Again no comparison though the Tesla is another animal in this space, including the sound system, which sounds better to me. The Porsche had adaptive cruise control, but nothing like what the Model S has.
5. Pricing - To be honest not a fair comparison the Panamera, when it was new stickered at $125k as I bought it, and my new Model S sitckers over $160k, but after rebate and price adjustment for inventory car I ended up paying a little under $135k, so close, but comparatively the Tesla is still more in line with the Panamera Turbo S with respect to pricing.
6. Buying Experience - The Tesla buying experience is really not great to be honest. My DS rarely, if ever responded to emails, the first set of financing numbers that the sales person swore by were completely wrong, the My Tesla site was never updated properly until the evening before I was to take delivery after I asked for 2 weeks to have it updated properly. Everyone was very nice at the Telsa SC, but no where near a Porsche buying experience. To be honest when I just recently bought the Z06, the Chevy dealer experience was much better than the Tesla experience. Somehow I was left with the feeling throughout the purchase process that Tesla was allowing me to purchase one of their cars.

Overall really like the P100D a lot, it is definitely a better overall car compared to the Porsche. If anyone has anything in particular they are interested in I would be happy to comment.

I am sorry that you didn't have a better buying experience. I custom ordered my Model X and there was plenty of time for the web site (laggy) to be updated. The folks at the store that I ordered from were excellent. However, I took delivery at a service center. The delivery could have been better and the delivery personnel were not as good responding to emails.

I still preferred the Tesla experience because Tesla didn't try to sell me any after-market services. I wouldn't mind having a tire and wheel policy. I've only owned one Porsche and that dealership is excellent. I still stop by a few times a year and visit with friends.

I hope you love your Model S.

I grew up in Germany so, the Panamera was going to be my first grown-up car, then, along came Tesla. Welcome and thanks for the camparo between the cars. I've heard that the buying experience is a little sketchy. My service center was Costa Mesa in SoCal and we were all treated quite special. I know Tesla is lagging on service. Hopefully, they'll get pass these growing pains quickly.