Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OVMS v3.1 install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My OVMS module just spiked to 8mb per day; charged me another $20; I was using 130kb per avg daily for a month straight since I received the unit.

all of a sudden 5/30/2019 I didn't receive any push notifications via mobile app that my car was charging; I went to my garage to see and sure enough it did charge so I didn't think anything of it. The next day is when I noticed the $20 recurring charge and decided to check the data usage.

I tried connecting to the ovms wifi and it wasn't showing up on my networks so perhaps something could of been looping or trying to connect with the ovms and the server so I unplugged it from the car; Reconnected and now I have access connection via wifi to the unit.

@markwj why did this happen; is there a way to limit the data usage say 1mb per day in case this error happens again? I don't want each session to use 7-8mb multiple times in a single day if the ovms has a fault or issue. There are other users who have had data spike and issues with data usage where hologram has charge them more than what the ovms is specifying if there are issues.

I spoke with someone today that his data spiked and was charged $300 through his ovms data usage. Perhaps this is something to look into? is there a command that would limit or alert me if data passes 1mb per day?

I did not apply the command config set vehicle stream 1
Sounds like what happened to me in early April.

Edit: I think you need to "Change Plan" to cap data
Screenshot_20200601-145730.png

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: markwj
Please… could somebody type out the commands to activate cooldown with the latest version of ovms. How do you get an entry into the parameters #15 block. I tried “1” to enable cooldown mode… failed….tried 31:60 …… failed…. Help

Easiest is to PM me directly. I can pre-configure a module for you, and setup all the accounts prior to shipping. Then, when you get the module all you have to do is physically install it in the car.
Please help me get cooldown working. The first ovms ani I were in sync and I could easily set cooldown to different settings depending on season… really great BUT the new module needs a command I don’t know….
help

The best reference is here:

User Guide — Open Vehicles documentation

There is also a Tesla Roadster specific guide (for the hardware installation part) here:

Tesla Roadster — Open Vehicles documentation

v3.1 is setup over wifi (from a phone/tablet/pc) and should be relatively straightforward (certainly simpler than v2.x). The "Installation" section of the above referenced manual should guide you through it. You can just plug the OVMS USB port into your laptop and do it from the comfort of your own home - then when all setup, go down and physically install it in the car.
I opened my OVMS unit and the board says OVMS BASE V2 (see attachment). Can someone please point me to the v2 user guide and installation instructions?

Attachments

• 20211105_170712.jpg
    20211105_170712.jpg
    467.7 KB · Views: 46
I opened my OVMS unit and the board says OVMS BASE V2 (see attachment). Can someone please point me to the v2 user guide and installation instructions?
See here:

But note that is a 2G unit, so you might have trouble finding 2G connectivity in the modern world.

Reactions: drewski