Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OVMS v3.1 install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I opened my module and checked that the SIM card and board were properly seated. I don’t see anything obvious. This seems to say that I’m not registered. I visited my Hologram acct and it says all is in order and the sim is ready. I tried reactivating the sim after double checking the number and Hologram complained saying the card was already activated. I use Consumer Cellular for my service but they just buy slots from AT&T which works fine here. Obviously I don’t know what I’m doing and have missed something.

View attachment 546078

once hologram was activated it took 20-30 minutes for it to sync with the sim card. Try to start modem again in 10-20 minutes and see if it connects.

Did you manage to complete all 5/5 steps? Did you have to cancel / skip last step because you couldn't register or connect the modem?

Last edited:
I activated the sim last fall so it has been a bit over 30 minutes. I’m not sure about the 5 steps. I set up the OVMS at my main HQ last fall and the wifi has worked since then. I have just now gotten HQ2 connected to wireless and that seems to be fine. Still no cellular... the car was parked all winter which in my case is pretty long.

BTW big fan of yours

• Love
Reactions: jason.tv
I activated the sim last fall so it has been a bit over 30 minutes. I’m not sure about the 5 steps. I set up the OVMS at my main HQ last fall and the wifi has worked since then. I have just now gotten HQ2 connected to wireless and that seems to be fine. Still no cellular... the car was parked all winter which in my case is pretty long.

BTW big fan of yours

I would say reset the ovms and start the installation over; somewhere the credentials is probably not correct since it required ovms module pw, ovms server pw, and hologram pw; connection to your wifi; so something is not setup or connecting correctly to even get to the point of activating modem; one of the 5 steps will login and check credentials with hologram to see if it registers or connects to the sim.

Moreover; there could be a fw update if you have not already applied; this is prior to doing any steps which the installation will prompt you to update. Not sure how to do a reset; i'm sure there are instructions in the forum.

I appreciate your kind words; I like to be a over achiever at things I love :)

So Start modem doesn't work? Never initializes?

Skip to 10:44

Last edited:
it doesn't look like you are connected to the ovms server; prob the issue. look at 20:25 in video do you see "server" OVMS login successful, and crypto channel establisheD? This is why during setup it's best / easiest to make the ovms module pw and the ovms server pw the same.

it doesn't look like you are connected to the ovms server; prob the issue. look at 20:25 in video do you see "server" OVMS login successful, and crypto channel establisheD? This is why during setup it's best / easiest to make the ovms module pw and the ovms server pw the same.
Looks like I am connected over WiFi just fine. My phone app shows good data
F4D6DF89-A258-4540-A01F-25AF1DF15DAD.png

I performed a factory reset and went through all 5 steps of the wizard again. The modem does not appear to work. The ICCID number never populates on the configuration screen. WiFi is working fine. In status I just see modem powering on... I’m using the same antenna as I had for V2. Any further suggestions??? I have not tried removing the modem board from the module but a visual inspection of the pins looks Ok.

I performed a factory reset and went through all 5 steps of the wizard again. The modem does not appear to work. The ICCID number never populates on the configuration screen. WiFi is working fine. In status I just see modem powering on... I’m using the same antenna as I had for V2. Any further suggestions??? I have not tried removing the modem board from the module but a visual inspection of the pins looks Ok.

i'm wondering about the antenna - 2G v 3G. i'm no EE so don't know if the old antenna will work with the 3G frequencies needed.

new antenna is <$3 including shipping from FastTech :eek: that doesn't sound profitable or break-even, but that's why i'm in analysis and not logistics!

hopefully @markwj will chime in with other ideas . . .

Best to get 'module summary' output and send in to support. From your screenshot, it does not seem the modem is powered on (so anything else like 'not registered' is irrelevant). Also, make sure that you running the latest firmware (3.2.012).

Reactions: drewski
My OVMS module just spiked to 8mb per day; charged me another $20; I was using 130kb per avg daily for a month straight since I received the unit.

all of a sudden 5/30/2019 I didn't receive any push notifications via mobile app that my car was charging; I went to my garage to see and sure enough it did charge so I didn't think anything of it. The next day is when I noticed the $20 recurring charge and decided to check the data usage.

I tried connecting to the ovms wifi and it wasn't showing up on my networks so perhaps something could of been looping or trying to connect with the ovms and the server so I unplugged it from the car; Reconnected and now I have access connection via wifi to the unit.

@markwj why did this happen; is there a way to limit the data usage say 1mb per day in case this error happens again? I don't want each session to use 7-8mb multiple times in a single day if the ovms has a fault or issue. There are other users who have had data spike and issues with data usage where hologram has charge them more than what the ovms is specifying if there are issues.

I spoke with someone today that his data spiked and was charged $300 through his ovms data usage. Perhaps this is something to look into? is there a command that would limit or alert me if data passes 1mb per day?

I did not apply the command config set vehicle stream 1

You can set a data cap limit for the SIM on the Hologram dashboard directly. Unfortunately, no way to control this from OVMS as the issue is on the cellular side (and sometimes not even visible to the module).

thats weird; it's not connecting any more;

v2 server just keeps looping.

• erver.v2.waitreconnect
  • [11:41:03 PM]server.v2.waitreconnect
  • [11:41:21 PM]server.v2.connecting
  • [11:41:22 PM]server.v2.waitreconnect
  • [11:41:22 PM]server.v2.waitreconnect

Starting last night I lost connection. I unchecked the tls Box in WiFi? (Maybe it’s in network) settings and then it reconnected. I’m guessing something to do with the certificates.

There was a problem over the weekend with the AddTrust/UserTrust root CA certificate. If you have TLS enabled (default is disabled), that could be your issue. There is an update 3.2.013 in edge release that has a replacement trusted cert for AddTrust/UserTrust.

As the TLS work is experimental at the moment, I wouldn't recommend it unless you are on edge release (to get updates).

P.S. TLS box is in server.v2 settings.