Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owner Frustrated with Tesla Depreciation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The worst Teslas for depreciation are the highest dollar ones.

2 years ago, the P90DL was the fastest practical sedan available (I think). People were willing (you for example) to pay top dollar for that. And then Tesla came out with a faster car. I can't remember the exact delta in speed but either way the P90DL was not top dog anymore.

There are lots of people waiting to pay $140k for the latest and greatest. Hopefully, they go in with eyes open that Tesla may up the ante the day after they purchase it and they lose a lot of money if they want to sell.

The average Tesla does very well in the depreciation department. I have a 70D that has done quite well. Still above the 50% mark at almost 4 years.

Why would Tesla dump their P90DL's? They want top dollar for them since that makes them money. If they don't have buyers - whether it is AP1 or the 90 battery or whatever, they lower the price. That is supply and demand.

Yes - you got unlucky. So unlucky that you are driving one of the fastest cars available. I feel for you a little but you had to know that your car was a splurge. My suggestion would be to not sell. Your depreciation curve at this point is probably really good.

Wrong again that isn't true at all cause the P100D will take the biggest hit of them all in the matter of a few more months. The problem again is with Tesla not understanding how the auto business works or the tech business for all that matters. Basically anyone that bought a late 2015 P85DL or 2015 P90DL and a 2016-2016.5 P90DL and even worse a 2016.5- early 2018, mainly the 2017 P100D will actually see the most depreciation. Why cause you don't lower the price of your highest model car. You increase the price every year and at worst leave it the same. For example if you bought a 2017 P100D you spent close to $170K with all the upgrades besides jump seats let's say. Well today you can buy that exact car for $145K, the same as my P90DL. So being a 2017 P100D owner just off the bat you lost 20K by simply buying it too early. Not cause it got worse in fact it could only get better. So just wait till the market gets flooded with people who paid $135K for a 2018-2019 P100D. They keep it a year and turn around and sell it for $100-$110K max. Not bad for them, not great but still not bad. So now everyone that paid $165K lets say just lost an extra $20K for nothing and 2 years in age. Like I said even Tech companies know not to do this, does Apple release a new iphone and drop the price, never.
See what your not understanding nor is anyone is that the models you bought 4, 5, 6, 7 years ago didn't have this issue cause they kept going up in price, like every car manufacture that builds a car understands to do this simple rule, primary based on inflation of course. If Tesla is still around in 2-3 years which I doubt, hopefully they at least get to the point of releasing the roadster, you will see Tesla's become the most depreciating car of all time specifically the P100D. So until you can understand that this model spells complete disaster and does not relate to any car basically past 2016, nothing I say will ever make sense to the fan club.

Screenshot 2019-01-24 at 3.41.14 AM.png

• Disagree
Reactions: JamesBrown
EVs, in the US, in general have worse depreciation than other cars. A good portion of that is to the Fed rebate.
On the Leaf, for example, a $30k car, rolls off the lot, it has immediately lost $7500 in value. While less than 10% on a Model X, that's 25% of the cost of the Leaf. Add a just 40% over 3 years and the car is now at 35% of the original value, a lousy investment when you look at the standard calculations, but not too bad if you use the original REAL value of $22.5k

Status
Not open for further replies.