Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owner shoots Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given how many times people accidentally shoot themselves and their loves ones, I bet this was an accident.

I am hypothesizing here and could be wrong but perhaps it was an accidental discharge and then an attempt was made to get Tesla to cover the loss.

I bet statically speaking, families without a gun in the house have a much less chance of having a family member be injured or killed due to a gun.

Gun violence in the United States - Wikipedia

Last edited:
I'm not raising the question of gun ownership, I was just intrigued by the possible sequence of events.

You've just collected your new car, so naturally you, or one of your passengers thinks "what a great time to check my gun."

Is it kinda like checking your phone?

• Funny
Reactions: Krugerrand
I bet statically speaking, families without a gun in the house have a much less chance of having a family member be injured or killed due to a gun.

Much like how families without a vehicle in the house have much lower incidents of a family member being injured or killed due to a vehicle.

Irresponsible owners/users of potentially life-threatening tools are a problem. This minority does not represent the responsible owner/user majority.

Given how many times people accidentally shoot themselves and their loves ones, I bet this was an accident.
Maybe. We don’t know.

What we do know, based on the court documents, is that Tesla immediately started an investigation, had the owner sign a confidentiality agreement (perhaps to give Tesla time to investigate), gave the owner a loaner car, and then once the cause of the fire was determined (a bullet fired from inside the car into the battery pack in the rear seat area) Tesla told the owner that the damage was not covered by the vehicle warranty, took back the loaner car, and returned the burned up car to the owner minus the bullet and the section of the battery where the bullet was found, keeping those as evidence.

Then the owner apparently sued Tesla. Which is incredible, but somehow not surprising. We don’t know the terms of the court settlement of that lawsuit. I hope that Tesla gave the owner nothing. If the bullet fired into the battery pack was an accident, Tesla owes the owner nothing. If it wasn’t an accident but was done deliberately for some reason, Tesla owes the owner nothing. Firing a bullet into a battery pack is like firing a bullet into a gas tank; bad things will happen.

• Love
Reactions: Krugerrand
If it wasn’t an accident but was done deliberately for some reason, Tesla owes the owner nothing. Firing a bullet into a battery pack is like firing a bullet into a gas tank; bad things will happen.

Make it like a combination class action settlement / price is right spot. Allow him to apply up to $500 towards the purchase of his next Tesla and give him a free container of Turtle Wax. Of course he'll have to pay attorney's fees, court cost, and the price of the new car so Tesla comes out ahead on that.

Then the owner apparently sued Tesla. Which is incredible, but somehow not surprising. We don’t know the terms of the court settlement of that lawsuit. I hope that Tesla gave the owner nothing. If the bullet fired into the battery pack was an accident, Tesla owes the owner nothing. If it wasn’t an accident but was done deliberately for some reason, Tesla owes the owner nothing. Firing a bullet into a battery pack is like firing a bullet into a gas tank; bad things will happen.

The third possibility is the fire did start in the battery and then subsequently set the firearm off once the flames spread. Not sure how hard it would be to determine if the bullet entered the battery before it was on fire or afterwards.

The third possibility is the fire did start in the battery and then subsequently set the firearm off once the flames spread. Not sure how hard it would be to determine if the bullet entered the battery before it was on fire or afterwards.

At it's simplest, I'd imagine that the probability that the bullet went through the exact same battery module that was (already) on fire would be pretty low.... (1 in 14 ?). Not conclusive proof, obviously, but enough for "on balance of probabilities" I'd have thought....

At it's simplest, I'd imagine that the probability that the bullet went through the exact same battery module that was (already) on fire would be pretty low.... (1 in 14 ?). Not conclusive proof, obviously, but enough for "on balance of probabilities" I'd have thought....

True. I assumed the whole battery had gone up in flames, but maybe that wasn't the case