Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners with No AP - Thoughts/Plans/Speculation on What Happens Next

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's hurting the company is all the price changes.

It shows basic instability and lack of leadership.

I have never seen any other car company put out a new model / drop the price / raise the price / drop the price / give free accessories / etc / etc the way Tesla has.

What would you be driving if Tesla wasn’t around and would you be happier?

There should be limits to the amount of bitching we throw at Tesla.

What's hurting the company is all the price changes.

It shows basic instability and lack of leadership.

I have never seen any other car company put out a new model / drop the price / raise the price / drop the price / give free accessories / etc / etc the way Tesla has.
You haven't been paying attention to other companies like the press has to Tesla. Every single deal from conventional dealers is like that: "I'll through in a ( you name it ) to close the deal ". Tesla Model 3 prices after accounting for the changes in tax credit have generally trended down. Making AP standard for a $2K price increase is the same as a package change. You should compare Teslas changes to every single negotiation detail change of every single dealer sale. The difference is Tesla's "negotiations" are online for all to see.

I’m fine with giving AP to everyone. But leave FSD as the $3K option indefinitely on my software upgrade page. I’ll buy it when I’m ready.

I like I imagine most people make budgets and plans on multi thousand dollar purchases.

First of all. They aren't giving EAP away....however they are slick in their way of dropping the price of EAP. The price of each MODEL 3 is going up by the exact price of EAP. Sneaky for some, but totally obvious to me. I suppose they did this so that those who purchased EAP at a price $1K more than what they are forcing people to buy it won't see the price decrease or at least make it as least obvious as possible.

First of all. They aren't giving EAP away....however they are slick in their way of dropping the price of EAP. The price of each MODEL 3 is going up by the exact price of EAP. Sneaky for some, but totally obvious to me. I suppose they did this so that those who purchased EAP at a price $1K more than what they are forcing people to buy it won't see the price decrease or at least make it as least obvious as possible.

They are giving away AP for the time being.

35K car with AP is 35K.

Reactions: Leafdriver333
I believe I understand what Elon may be thinking.

This is what I believe might be Elons priority list.

1. Tesla
2. Future Customers
3. Tesla
4. Competition
5. Tesla
6. Current owners
7. Tesla.

It all adds up to what I see Tesla doing concerning their pricing of features as well as the Model 3 itself.

Tesla wants to display ( show off ) their features as much as possible to draw new customers. That's what I would like to do if I was in Tesla's shoes.
Tesla will sell cars based on what non-owners see.

Lately I have been running into a TON of people at SuperChargers that have no clue as to what a TESLA is. Then when I show them something like summon......they are shocked. That's a lot to take in...especially for someone who doesn't even know what a Tesla is.

So...how does a car company with no advertising and now only a few stores ( closed on the weekends ) sell their cars?
Answer? Current owners and the features they have to show off.
Its like Tesla is saying....hey...give every new customer as many features as we can....and let our new customers show them off. Current owners and the price they paid for the features are not as high of a priority on the list as "new customers" , however we should find a way to hide the price decrease in a sneaky way.

Reactions: Perry
Where do you see that?

I’m not a bull *sugar* ter

B1D4DFF8-46A8-4C28-99D5-230533D18EC6.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: GregRF
You can count me in the camp that Tesla ran a train on.

;)

You are welcome for Q3 Elon!

View attachment 396533

Indeed - I'm in the $8k camp as well. My receipt is exactly the same as yours.

FSD is going to be free next. We haven't even used that feature yet.....
I wonder if FSD owners will really get HW3 ( or whatever they call it now ) for free.....or will EVERYONE get HW3 for free.
It makes absolutely no sense to install HW2 in any new cars if HW3 is available now.

We should start a new club - YGS club. ( you got screed ) LOL.

Still waiting on my line waiter gift? I wonder if that's in the mail yet.
Has anyone seen my free spoiler anywhere?

AP has always been a tough sell for me. When I bought my car last July it was billed as a partial FSD option. Something that clearly didn't exist then and still doesn't exist now.

However it also include basic TACC. A feature which comes standard on virtually any car that costs 40k or more. By charging 5k for what essentially is TACC+ its a really poor value proposition. I personally opted out of it because I didn't see the point in paying 5k more such a basic feature.

If Tesla is truly focused on safety they should give everyone TACC for free. Roll the rest of the useless AP features into FSD and continue to charge customers 3k for the vaporware. Everyone wins!

Isn't this exactly what they're doing for NEW customers?

They took the basic parts of EAP, and put them into a lower cost packaged simply called AP. Where they initially tried to sell it for $3K, and then within a couple months decided to simply include it in the price of the car. So it's essentially a $40K car that has TACC, and Lane-steering. A much better lane steering-system then practically all the other $40K+ cars.

I completely agree with you in that TACC is a safety feature, and I'm glad that it's being included now.

But, they're not getting it for free. It raised the price of the vehicle by $2K so why can't you pony up the $2K for it instead of asking for it for free?

You had a chance last month to get it for $2K, but you didn't take it.
You had a chance to get it for $2.5K, but you didn't take it.
Now you'd have to pay $3K.

Personally I think they should just stop changing things, and make it $2K for existing owners who don't already have the package. Doing constant changes gives people the impression that if they wait they can jump on a better deal.

Or they could make it go down in price as a function of how old the vehicle was since that's exactly what would happen had the customer bought the package with the car.

The tax credit isn't from Tesla. Its from the Govt.

The Govt set the parameters on that.

How is that relevant?

The price changes were in response to the tax credits expiring.

Having the old prices wasn't sustainable so I question the logic I used when buying the car at the price I did. I thought the price would go up because the tax credit was going to expire. That's why I was one of many who wanted to get it before 2019.

Oops. I didn't realize Tesla would lower the price to compensate for most of the expiration of the tax credit.