Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OWNING A MODEL X: Mark Templeton's impressions!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for posting this. First substantive comments and photos by a real owner that I have seen. The car looks even better than I expected! I had not expected to be interested in one, but now...maybe when the Model S lease runs out!

Thanks David!

I know what you mean ... every Tesla products are better and better ... and many of us are ready to die to get the latest!

- - - Updated - - -

What colour are you going to get? I really LOVE that blue myself.

The blue is the color I LOVE! But since it's a Founder I was wondering if it would be wise to get the signature red ...

Anyway, I'm still waiting to get access to the Studio to make my mind (I'm in Canada and I won't get access to it until Canadian princing is unveiled ... and I can't even know when it will be!).

That's a good point, but do many people truly require AWD? I know a lot of people want it, but given that AWD is we know it today is a fairly recent invention and people mostly got by fine in the many decades before, it doesn't seem like it would actually be a hard requirement.

I live in a hilly (locally called the Pocono Mountains) area with snow and ice a problem (though none this year as of yet, but there is no climate change, sure ;-), so AWD has been a requirement since we realized that regular cars don't cut it the first winter we moved here 23 years ago. I considered getting a Model S when they added D, but my wife insisted I wait for the X as it is bigger. I think she was hoping I'd give up and cancel. No way. I want my Model X! :)

Congrats to Mark and a big thank you for sharing your ownership experience with TMC.

IMG_4063.JPG

That's a good point, but do many people truly require AWD? I know a lot of people want it, but given that AWD is we know it today is a fairly recent invention and people mostly got by fine in the many decades before, it doesn't seem like it would actually be a hard requirement.

For myself living in Texas the answer to do I really need AWD would be a resounding no. I've never owned a 4 wheel or all wheel drive vehicle and when it ices/snows I don't go anywhere. But something that is very important to remember is that the Tesla Model ??D are the only all wheel drive vehicles that are actually more efficient than their RWD counterparts. The efficiency is what sells me. Plus having power on all 4 wheels does help in the rain which we've had a ton of lately.

I thought when we bought the Tahoe/Yukon with the cylinder management that we would see some real MPG gains, but it only really goes from V8 to V4 when you take your foot completely off the gas. I expected it to be able to cruise the flat west Texas highways at 4 cylinder mode...it never did. At least with torque sleep people are seeing some real world gains.