Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D 1/4 Mile at PBIR vs Huracan...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see the Tesla crossed the end well ahead of the Hellcat so why did the Hellcat show a lower 10.6 time vs the Tesla 10.8?
because any ET time in drag strip (or from time slip) is with the reaction time subtracted. Meaning Tesla could have give Hellcat a 10 minutes head start while Tesla is just sitting on the starting line. 10 minutes later, Tesla starts the run, the clock would still show up as 10.8 second ET.

I am actually quite surprised a lot of people don't know that reaction time doesn't matter at all in a drag race. (if your definition of winning is ET, and not who is crossing the line first)

because any ET time in drag strip (or from time slip) is with the reaction time subtracted. Meaning Tesla could have give Hellcat a 10 minutes head start while Tesla is just sitting on the starting line. 10 minutes later, Tesla starts the run, the clock would still show up as 10.8 second ET.

I am actually quite surprised a lot of people don't know that reaction time doesn't matter at all in a drag race. (if your definition of winning is ET, and not who is crossing the line first)

Well, reaction time is actually the combination of human reaction and car reaction time.

Let's say both cars do the quarter-mile in exactly the same time (ET) and both drivers have exactly the same reaction time. If one car is a Tesla and the other car is an ICE, then the Tesla would always win (crossing line first) since all ICE cars have a longer response time then Tesla (I think that is true even for ICE cars with launch control).

• Helpful
Reactions: EinSV
Maybe let me put it in more simple terms. For ET times in drag strip, it is essentially that the clock won't start ticking until your car starts moving (a more technical explanation is that it starts ticking once the green light is ON, then the system get your time once your car reach the finish line, and then your reaction time is subtracted out of that finish line time)

More video from TRC:
10.79 second at 124.24 mph 1/4 mile confirmed. But that's with a very bad launch and bad track surface. By the way, why do any drag strip want to put "water box" (pool of water) right before your car roll into the launch area?? It just sound crazily stupid that reduce traction.

It's for cars running slicks. You pull into the box, roast your tires and as you're spinning them the water comes off. The heat from the burnout makes the tires stickier. Since slicks don't have tread they don't really hold on to liquid like a traditional tire would. Cars like the Tesla (or basically any car running street tires) generally just pull around the box.

• Informative
Reactions: ggnykk
A new kid in town ... Rimac Concept One beats Porsche 918 Spyder in quarter mile, the era of ICE supercars is over

With the release of the Tesla Model S P100D in August, and deliveries last month I knew it was time to RIP combustion engines on the supercar circuit. The P100D hits 60mph in 2.5 seconds and hits a quarter mile in just over 10 seconds. The Model S also seats as many people (7) as a minivan, is very street smart and it part of a large and growing production line vs. the typical supercar which are only hand made in batches of 100 or so. Imagine if you built a limited production electric car optimized just for speed and not carrying a whole family. Enter the Rimac Concept One.

We’ve discussed Rimac quite a bit in the past. They are a Croation startup by namesake Mate Rimac that provide parts for other high end vehicles. They even make this insane Greyp bike. But they’ve also showcased their incredible 2-seat Concept One Supercar which was developed in-house. Recently Rimac started shipping these and the one in the video below was delivered to the US last month. This thing has 1088hp delivered to 4 motors that drive the wheels through 2-speed transmissions allowing for much higher top speed than Tesla’s Model S. Youtuber Salomondrin got to take the Rimac Concept One against a Porsche 918 Spyder, officially the fastest production supercar in the world in the 0-60 and no slouch at the quarter mile either.

I’ve queued the video, below, up to the 5 minute mark where the race actually happens. As you can imagine, the Rimac wins handily with a sub-9.9 second time. While the Spyder is officially listed slightly faster at a 9.8 second quarter mile and a few other vehicles actually beat the 918 in the quarter, it is pretty much game over when a small Croatian startup is taking on the Porsche’s of the world. There is so much left for electric vehicles to optimize while we’ve seen the biggest companies in the world eaking out ever smaller improvements out of internal combustion.

Think about how far electric has come just in the past four years. The original Model S P85 was at 4.6 seconds 0-60. Folks are making 1968 Mustangs 0-60 in under 2 seconds and others are already hitting 1MW and beyond. Imagine what will happen in another 4 years.

Reactions: ggnykk
..... then your reaction time is subtracted out of that finish line time)

No, it is (your reaction time + car reaction time to move) that is subtracted. The point is that just like no human has a zero response time, no car has a zero response time from the pedal press or launch enabled. I think (but I can't claim proof) that an ICE car has a slower response time than Tesla's response time.

Of course a perfect driver might be able to know his response time and the car response time well enough to punch it early enough to have near zero time subtracted out of the finish line time.

No, it is (your reaction time + car reaction time to move) that is subtracted. The point is that just like no human has a zero response time, no car has a zero response time from the pedal press or launch enabled. I think (but I can't claim proof) that an ICE car has a slower response time than Tesla's response time.

Of course a perfect driver might be able to know his response time and the car response time well enough to punch it early enough to have near zero time subtracted out of the finish line time.
I agree, human reaction time plus car's reaction both get subtracted.

Reactions: Old Man Mike