Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D Acceleration Stats - 'Normal' Ludicrous Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen plenty of stats quoted for acceleration times for the P100D 0-60 times.

With one on order, and sufficient time on my hands to wonder about these things, i've determined there are 5 different ludicrous acceleration settings..
  • Ludicrous (without Max Battery Power)
  • Ludicrous with Max Battery Power
  • Ludicrous with Max Battery Power and Launch Mode
  • Ludicrous Plus with Max Battery Power
  • Ludicrous Plus with Max Battery Power and Launch Mode
I have seen plenty of stats around the last 3, but not so much over the first one in the list, which i'd imagine would be the only option possible for day to day driving fun, when not showing off.

I've searched but not found any stats for testing down in "standard" ludicrous mode acceleration. Does anyone have any pointers (all things being equal) as to what sort of timing difference one could expect with no max battery power or launch mode being used, but just the Ludicrous acceleration?

You left out some conditions: Ludicrous (without Max Battery Power) and Launch Mode, as well as two additional ludicrous plus modes. The simple way to determine the number of possible test states is to note that you have "with and without" maximum battery power as well as "with and without" launch mode, and those four unique states can be combined with ludicrous vs ludicrous plus. The provides eight different combinations. 2 different states for maximum battery (or not), 2 different states for launch mode (or not), and 2 different states for ludicrous vs ludicrous plus, for a total of 2 * 2 * 2 = 8 unique test conditions.

• Disagree
Reactions: Pezpunk
You left out some conditions: Ludicrous (without Max Battery Power) and Launch Mode, as well as two additional ludicrous plus modes. The simple way to determine the number of possible test states is to note that you have "with and without" maximum battery power as well as "with and without" launch mode, and those four unique states can be combined with ludicrous vs ludicrous plus. The provides eight different combinations. 2 different states for maximum battery (or not), 2 different states for launch mode (or not), and 2 different states for ludicrous vs ludicrous plus, for a total of 2 * 2 * 2 = 8 unique test conditions.

Launch mode is only available when max battery power is enabled! To repeat myself you can't have launchmode without max battery power.

Also ludicrous plus requires max battery power enabled. To repeat myself again you can't be in ludicrous plus without max battery power enabled

Launch mode is only available when max battery power is enabled! To repeat myself you can't have launchmode without max battery power.

Also ludicrous plus requires max battery power enabled. To repeat myself again you can't be in ludicrous plus without max battery power enabled

But you can have max battery power enabled without Ludicrous plus enabled. I think that means you have the following options:

1. Ludicrous Mode
2. Ludicrous Mode (with max battery but not Ludicrous Plus)
3. Ludicrous Plus Mode
4. Ludicrous Mode (with max battery but not Ludicrous Plus) and Launch Mode
5. Ludicrous Plus Mode and Launch Mode

I think that matches up to the OP's list.

Launch mode is only available when max battery power is enabled!
Also ludicrous plus requires max battery power enabled.

OK, I was unaware of those restrictions. But those potential restrictions also brings up another question: Is it sufficient for you to enable max battery power but then perform runs before that optimal temperature is reached, or does the power control system prevent even doing that? If that is allowed you would still have a method of checking all of the conditions, albeit with potential waiting for cool downs between some of the test runs. For the test runs to be meaningful you would also potentially need recharging between some of the runs. Based on owner feedback the max power reached seems to be fairly resilient to a variable charge state as long as it always above at least 90%.

Testing before max battery is ready will yield different results. This is because the battery produces its maximum power when the battery is warmed to optimum temperature.

The strategy we have used in the past to get consistent results is to...
turn on max battery wait for it to be ready
test power with max battery power on and ready
Then with max battery showing ready not coooing turn off max battery power test again without max battery.

This should yield a result showing the maximum power in each mode.

From my testing on the older firmware with my P90DL and V3 pack, just turning on max battery would yield about a 20 kw jump in power and more would be available once the pack was warm. Now with the current firmware it makes almost no difference 2-3 kw. The jump in power is still there but it's now only available with max battery AND launch mode. Making the extra power useless under normal driving conditions.

Last edited:
I went for a drive today and had Power Tools running. I turned on Ludicrous Plus, and it said 50 minutes before Max Battery Power would be ready. As it warmed up I was driving around and periodically flooring it. As the temp went up, the max power recorded by Power Tools started inching up as well. At first the most I saw was around 520kW. Then as the battery got warmer it went up to around 530kW and then 540kW.

I got back home before it hit full Max Battery Power, so I didn't get a chance to see where it would have topped out. I also never used Launch Mode, and my acceleration runs were from rolling starts every time as I was driving around so not very scientific. It did show that I was steadily seeing more top end power as the battery pack continued to warm up though.

I was at 90% SOC when I left the house, and at around 80% or so when I got back.

IMG_7151.JPG
I just did 3 back-to back runs comparing a subset of the power options, no launch mode. Approx 70%SOC.
1. Ludicrous mode, no max battery
2. Ludicrous mode, max batt enabled, not ready (just after enabled)
3. Ludicrous Plus mode, max batt enabled, not ready (just after enabled). Batt temp ~35C.
No significant differences in power using PowerTools app in rolling start ~10 to 60 mph runs. 679 to 684 hp.

Previous tests (prior to latest software "upgrade") back on Jan 11: No Launch mode.
1. Ludicrous mode, no max battery 72% SOC, 680-689 hp.
2. Ludicrous mode, max battery ready, 67%SOC, 712 hp.
3. Ludicrous Plus mode, max batt enabled, ready, Batt temp ~50C, 64% SOC:
736hp. Attached picture collage of this test.

I understand that max battery should now be enabled and at temperature = ready, and launch mode must be used to achieve max power for a given SOC. Test for another time.

Reactions: YNOT3
View attachment 219250 I just did 3 back-to back runs comparing a subset of the power options, no launch mode. Approx 70%SOC.
1. Ludicrous mode, no max battery
2. Ludicrous mode, max batt enabled, not ready (just after enabled)
3. Ludicrous Plus mode, max batt enabled, not ready (just after enabled). Batt temp ~35C.
No significant differences in power using PowerTools app in rolling start ~10 to 60 mph runs. 679 to 684 hp.

Previous tests (prior to latest software "upgrade") back on Jan 11: No Launch mode.
1. Ludicrous mode, no max battery 72% SOC, 680-689 hp.
2. Ludicrous mode, max battery ready, 67%SOC, 712 hp.
3. Ludicrous Plus mode, max batt enabled, ready, Batt temp ~50C, 64% SOC:
736hp. Attached picture collage of this test.

I understand that max battery should now be enabled and at temperature = ready, and launch mode must be used to achieve max power for a given SOC. Test for another time.

Thanks for this. I'm looking at your Jan 11 tests as the benchmark simply because you have max batt power ready. Also one further note is that Tesla in latest update apparenlty placed restrictions on all modes apart from the Ludicrous + with max battery and launch mode. That is only with launch mode enabled would you see full power.

As a very basic guess

• Ludicrous with Max Battery Power Ready (approx + 4 % on just ludicrous mode acceleration)
  • Ludicrous Plus with Max Battery Power (approx + 7 % on just ludicrous mode acceleration)
Assuming that 2.3s time is still max possible with Ludicrous Plus with Max Battery Power Ready and Launch Mode enabled then one could potentially expect that best standard ludicrous mode acceleration under those same test conditions to be somewhere in the region of around 2.6+ seconds.

Ultimately drops a few tenths, but still plenty fast to be likely under 3 secs even with a bit of load etc.

Thanks for this. I'm looking at your Jan 11 tests as the benchmark simply because you have max batt power ready. Also one further note is that Tesla in latest update apparenlty placed restrictions on all modes apart from the Ludicrous + with max battery and launch mode. That is only with launch mode enabled would you see full power.

As a very basic guess

• Ludicrous with Max Battery Power Ready (approx + 4 % on just ludicrous mode acceleration)
  • Ludicrous Plus with Max Battery Power (approx + 7 % on just ludicrous mode acceleration)
Assuming that 2.3s time is still max possible with Ludicrous Plus with Max Battery Power Ready and Launch Mode enabled then one could potentially expect that best standard ludicrous mode acceleration under those same test conditions to be somewhere in the region of around 2.6+ seconds.

Ultimately drops a few tenths, but still plenty fast to be likely under 3 secs even with a bit of load etc.

I just decided to order a VBOX today; Should get it in a week or so. Then can do a better test.

Consider getting the Dragy box too or instead. its as accurate, cheaper, verifies slope dis/advantage and can share results easily.

And get in a day or two.

https://www.amazon.com/dragy-10Hz-B...eywords=dragy&qid=1558879527&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Could not agree more, I just got Dragy and its amazing. I'm still getting through testing my P85D to see what it will do, then I'll do the same to the P100DL. First run was for the P85D 11.85 at 77% SOC no launch mode or max battery. Second run was last night and I made sure to run it at the same state of charge (77% no luanch mode insane mode), it did 11.77. It pulled power on the 60-130 run right after, so I probably shouldn't have even posted that on Dragy. I'd like to get a better feel for what P cars compare to 60-100 range as word has gotten out about how these vampires hit off the line. Folks seem to always want to do roll on races only, at the track now.