Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D 20" Bent Rims (Please reply if Bent or Not)

How many of your 20" Rims Are Bent?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,
I know there was another post on this but the questions in the poll were not really reflective.

I wanted to ask for those of you with the 20" P3D rims, how many of your rims, if any, are bent. All 4 of mine are and I have seen many others complain, but I am hoping to get a decent sample set here. Obviously there is bias with this source method, but should provide some insights. I am curious as to how prolific bending is. If it is just a few %, that would make sense.

Not looking to create another thread debating 20" rims should bend or not, that Tesla should have offered other sizes, or how we should have the Performance Rims China has; just looking for data!

Thanks!

I've been cautious with my rims here in NYC, and I've become accustomed to avoiding areas of the roads that I know are bad. Sometimes new potholes emerge daily, but the worst of them have already developed during the winter. I've lost tires on my previous car (Audi), but rims have held up for the most part.

There have been reports of manufacturing problems with C7 Corvette Grand Sport, Z06 and there is now a class-action lawsuit, but I have not heard reports about the Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3
I've been cautious with my rims here in NYC, and I've become accustomed to avoiding areas of the roads that I know are bad. Sometimes new potholes emerge daily, but the worst of them have already developed during the winter. I've lost tires on my previous car (Audi), but rims have held up for the most part.

There have been reports of manufacturing problems with C7 Corvette Grand Sport, Z06 and there is now a class-action lawsuit, but I have not heard reports about the Tesla.
I'm in the same boat and I did see the Z06 lawsuit. Not looking to go down that road, but curious as to how prolific the issue may be.

I hit a raised pavement marker (3" tall) at 25 MPH and bent 2 rims, and blew both tires. Kinda upset at that.
You’ve reminded me of a driving incident as a teenager- pretty much did the same thing, but may have been going 35 or more - in a RAM VAN; one of the many times I launched that vehicle into the air ;) amazingly the tires held up to my abuse.

• Funny
Reactions: JetSpeed and alexGS
2 bent from a fissure/pothole across the drive lane... all 4 wheels hit at approx 35 mph.
My 2 right side wheels were visibly bent and were not holding pressure. Had Tesla Service replace the wheels and they actually recommended that it would be ok to re-use the tires.

• Informative
Reactions: Jaywlker
I bent 2 but I hit an absolutely monstrous pothole back in October when that happened (no flats, just vibration while driving). Since then they have been fine.

For what it's worth, this was an extremely (and unusually) bad winter for much of the country and the road conditions showed it. In other years this wouldn't have been nearly as large of a problem. And don't forget that these polls heavily favor people who had problems. Most with no problem won't bother.

You’ve reminded me of a driving incident as a teenager- pretty much did the same thing, but may have been going 35 or more - in a RAM VAN; one of the many times I launched that vehicle into the air ;) amazingly the tires held up to my abuse.

Mines was kinda in the middle of the road road, but they decided to suddenly change it from 2 lanes to 1 lane and I wasn't paying attention to the lines enough at night so I barely saw the markers.. I documented it further here:

Barely saw the markers:
20181114_231113-jpg.356518

4 Bent Rims - 20" - Anyone else?

I wanted to ask for those of you with the 20" P3D rims, how many of your rims, if any, are bent. All 4 of mine are and I have seen many others complain, but I am hoping to get a decent sample set here. Obviously there is bias with this source method, but should provide some insights. I am curious as to how prolific bending is. If it is just a few %, that would make sense.

You live in Boston, so that explains things (I lived there myself, roads are "special") :D

Down here in NY/NJ roads are not much better, but at least we don't have the roundabouts (aka "rotaries").
I haven't bent any 19" or 20" wheels on Tesla or BMWs, but I did bend multiple 18" BMW wheels in the past. Go figure.

Mines was kinda in the middle of the road road, but they decided to suddenly change it from 2 lanes to 1 lane and I wasn't paying attention to the lines enough at night so I barely saw the markers..

Oh man, that brings back memories - I had bent many a wheel on "traffic boobs" when I lived in TX.
Just ouch.
TX ones were bigger, though, just like everything else in TX....

a

Mines was kinda in the middle of the road road, but they decided to suddenly change it from 2 lanes to 1 lane and I wasn't paying attention to the lines enough at night so I barely saw the markers.. I documented it further here:

Barely saw the markers:

4 Bent Rims - 20" - Anyone else?

Very difficult to avoid damage in these situations. Poorly placed concrete barriers have caused all kinds of mischief, including this one:

• Funny
Reactions: ybbor and Triplett
I bent all four in a residential area where some roadwork was being done. A temporary patch on a trench deteriorated and left holes with a sharp edge that I hit at 30-35mph. After considering new forged wheels, I ended up having my tire shop send mine out for straightening. Took a couple days and only cost $600. Nice and smooth again, but I do wonder how long it will last...

After replacing a wheel last week I’m back at Tesla Paramus now and I will be calling corporate as all 3 of my remaining large heavy clunky crappola cast wheels are bent. We all paid a lot of money for these wheels and they are total crap.

I am at my whits end.

This vehicle should NOT have these wheel issues. I’ve had similar cars and wheel setups never had this much issue or replacing wheels so often. I know everyone says potholes etc, I’m very very careful with this car and the amount of “potholes” I have struck in 12,000 miles I could count on one hand.

See attached image of the one I recently hit and couldn’t avoid due to being cut off. I agree this one was my fault.

9839AA3F-4E2C-45BB-98DE-EB2781632B7E.png

ELON YOU NEED TO HELP RESOLVE THIS COSTLY ISSUE!

Has anybody tried straightening the rims at a wheel shop?
My previous 2 cars were BMWs which I bent multiple rims on each over their lifetimes.
According to the one wheel shop i used, BMW was notorious for having easy to bend rims. They did mention this made them a lot easier to bend back without cracking them though.
It would be a lot cheaper to repair them than replace them if it’s possible.

My 2018 S with 19inch wheels and just replaced tires about one month ago (50,000 miles already).
I hit a 4x4 wood board on the highway at about 80MPH. Damaged the new tire and bent the rim.
See photos. I was not sure if the wheel could be repaired or not. I still purchased a new wheel (Not cheap with new tire) from Tesla.
The yellow taxi hit the board first. I could not move over a lane due to traffic. Please secure your load people.
I have provided photos for the wheels I have. Tesla has the damaged wheel at this time as I have a loaner tire right now.

Wheel 19.jpg

Capture2.JPG
The yellow taxi hit the board first. I could not move over a lane due to traffic. Please secure your load people.

Capture1.JPG