Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D is... slow?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the same feeling after a couple of months. I did enjoy the handling of the LR RWD 3 I had before my P3D a little better too but I think that is because of the weight difference. The 4000 pound weight is really pushing it for the Prius like tires on my car. I've got it into a slide a couple times when it shouldn't have... was surprisingly controlled though. Considering putting some real rubber on it but not looking forward to the range hit.

Also on a side note the rated range on my P3D with 100% charge is only 288 miles vs. the 310 with the other one. Anyone think I may have a module out or are other P3D owners experiencing the same thing?

BTW kudos to the Street Triple owner. I have one and love it!... great bike!

You guys are making me feel better about sticking with my RWD, that's for sure, since I'm more a handling guy anyway (hence the Miata, too). Faster is almost always better, though! ;)

Had a drive today that included a tight set of twisties climbing up a ridge and was spontaneously grinning like a fool by the time I reached the top. Car just danced. All this and the equivalent of 120 MPGE when you want it and no German car repair bills- simply spectacular!

I do think the initial hit is the biggest difference as compared to the Model S and I think that all comes back to the rear motor not being induction (or software tuning). I also wonder if that hit delta can be felt when you are "at speed" already (i.e. is it always the first 0.5 seconds or so regardless of starting speed: 0, 30, 50, 70, etc.) as compared to the rear induction motor cars?

The motors are effectively the same thing. The new one just has a magnet which is actually superior to induction but requires a newer "brain" to sync certain aspects of it (new brain simply because we haven't had the tech to do it until now), and of course an extra material in the magnet itself.

So hardware wise it shouldnt be an issue, but I could see a potential issue on the software side. No idea how that part works.

Induction vs magnet articles are all over the web.

I too started to think my P3D was not as fast as everyone made it out to be. A month after I bought it I took it to a local drag strip, and got an 11.799 with ~70% charge in 40-50F temperatures. The 0-60, confirmed by Draggy, was 3.46. I have noticed now that temperatures are in the 20F-40F, the car doesn't seem to pull as hard.

Hopefully, one of these days I can convince my wife to drive the car and floor it so I can experience the acceleration without preparing for it.

I was referring to my own Model X 75D getting crushed by a 3P. Same Model X 75D that would have crushed my Volt. My Volt on Sport Mode probably crushes a lot of Ice cars. Point is that the 3P is insanely fast compared to almost anything you would run into. Faster than 999/1000 cars most likely if not more.

Though not sure if anyone has dragged a X P100D vs a 3P? On paper the P100D is faster but I imagine you'd need to have preheating for ludicrious and a almost full SOC to hit the published numbers? 3P launch is effortless.
I remember the good old volt days. Regen braking down a hill while some camaro flys around you. Then at the light you switch into sport mode and floor it at the light, and take the unsuspecting camaro (or other car) then they are like wtf.

• Love
Reactions: MXWing
100% you guys have just gotten used to it. Drive around in Chill for a day or two. Then get a 90% charge on it overnight and put it in sport the next morning and see how it feels.

I have noticed wheel spin is so well managed that I can barely tell it’s happening and the car is holding back only slightly until it’s controlled. With the current colder temps, you might be not noticing that the traction control is holding the car back.

Also, someone else mentioned that the cold plays a big part on the acceleration. I can drive 60-100km (40-60ish miles) and still haven’t gotten the batteries to warm up to optimal efficiency.

As someone who chased horsepower when I was younger, lots of 500hp cars, you end up chasing because you become immune to the effects. The tighter the suspension, the less effects you feel as well.

I recently had a C63 try and pull away from me. I had to let off the accelerator because he was too easy to keep up with. (And yes, he was trying. Repeatedly). My though was “I thought that was supposed to be a quick car!” Meanwhile, I wouldn’t mind an extra 50hp to play with.

I think one factor too is that lack of sound. My Model 3 is a bit slower than my Mustang Boss 302 was, but not that much slower, and I'm far more used to it now than I ever was with the Boss.

Top end I'd wager the Boss was a little faster than a P3D, but I never once started to get used to it as at full song it sounded like a 1970s IMSA race car! The aural aspect does make a difference.

Hey TMC!

I am 6 weeks in with my P3D and I'm just curious if anyone else has felt this same feeling! My wife has a LRRWD and I have the P3D. When I drive my P3D, I feel it is not as fun on turns like the LR is (I guess a history of 10+ RWD vehicles had me loving them). In addition, the first few weeks it felt fast and now it just feels mediocre. Maybe I'm just getting used to it...

I hope to take it to the track soon and find out what it can do. FWIW, there was another thread that asked if we would pay additional for an extra half a second 0-60 and I absolutely will. Also - it would be nice if the 0-10 was quicker.

What is your SOC on your daily driving now? I had the same experience until I returned to charging up to 90% more frequently and then that good old power feel was back.

I'm wondering if Tesla is limiting the p3d performance, maybe they will push a performance ota update after the cars been out for awhile.
It is definitely limited but I believe there's a purpose behind it. Have you seen the thread floating around that talks about "P3D not getting the 310 miles we were promised"? This is likely why. I feel eventually, they will unlock the power and call it "Ludicrous Mode" or similar and it will have a disclaimer to the effect of: "your battery will significantly drain in this mode".

Reactions: Jason_G
It is definitely limited but I believe there's a purpose behind it. Have you seen the thread floating around that talks about "P3D not getting the 310 miles we were promised"? This is likely why. I feel eventually, they will unlock the power and call it "Ludicrous Mode" or similar and it will have a disclaimer to the effect of: "your battery will significantly drain in this mode".

yeah maybe they are being conservative with the model 3 since the 90 series battery had degrading issues. Then once they receive enough data(miles) then they can determine to unlock it to its full potential.

I've been draining my battery to get the BMS calibrated which means a few days each week I'm well under 40% charge. When I do end up fully charging the difference in acceleration is night and day. It goes from "ok pretty fast" to "violent" acceleration.

I've been draining my battery to get the BMS calibrated which means a few days each week I'm well under 40% charge. When I do end up fully charging the difference in acceleration is night and day. It goes from "ok pretty fast" to "violent" acceleration.
Interesting. I daily go from 90% to 65%, and I’ve been quick to attribute any perceived slowness to it being 30F out.

So you go from 40% to 100% to calibrate, or even lower?

Sign me up. I feel the need... the need for...

Interesting. I daily go from 90% to 65%, and I’ve been quick to attribute any perceived slowness to it being 30F out.

So you go from 40% to 100% to calibrate, or even lower?

I was told you want to get under 10% to get the BMS to recalibrate and that sometimes it takes a few times. I got down to 4% last week and then charged to 100% and saw my total range go from 296miles to 302 miles. I'm hoping to see the full 310 soon!

You don't know how fast a 3P is until:

3 - All the M3s, AMGs drive aggressive around you. UNTIL they see red calipers. They drive like Corollas after that. Though of course 3P- doesn't telegraph that aspect hah.

Believe me the 3P is fast, you just don't feel it due to the effects of time dilation and relativity. ;)
Once I heard the engine noise and found a Corvette was by my right rear side. Before slaming my accelerator the noise disappeared. I guess he just saw my red calipers lol.

• Love
Reactions: MXWing
Perhaps it's just how you perceive speed since you have a P3D+ now.

I currently have a RWD M3 (which it was the first car I test drove without trying AWD nor performance lol). It felt so fast (coming from an E300) that I was sold no questions asked.

After taking the car in for some paint repairs, getting a P85D as loaner for a few weeks and then coming back to my RWD, it just doesn't feel the same anymore... it feels so slow.

I thought that getting a P3D+ was the way to go hence I went to drive test one with the intention of trading in my RWD but even so, the feeling wasn't quite the same as the P85D insane mode... P3D felt quick but not as quick mind blowing as P85D hence why I decided not to pull the trigger on the P3D+ even with the lower price (plus extra discounts).

Bottom line, I think it's just perception.

Once I heard the engine noise and found a Corvette was by my right rear side. Before slaming my accelerator the noise disappeared. I guess he just saw my red calipers lol.
No one thinks anything of me :(. I’ve even had other Tesla owners say I don’t have a Performance Model, and that I’m confused. Nothing like dropping $75k on a car, and having it indistinguishable from the base model. Although, it does fit my nondescript lifestyle.

Often, I do wish I opted for the upgrade package, but I know it wouldn’t be ideal for my commute.