Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D with Performance Upgrade and Black Interior status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried to take delivery today and am left empty-handed. After receiving the MVPA only Thursday night, I ran around yesterday getting all my loan papers ready to be prepared. I also had my insurance guy on deck.

When i went to pick it up, after waiting 30 minutes, one of the dozens of people working there told me because I didn't have the insurance "stamp" I couldn't take delivery. This was the first I heard of needing this and I suspect they dropped the ball in explaining it to me. But the lady acted like it was my fault. So that's whatever.

During this time the guys they sent to check out my trade-in proceeded to rip off my license plate screw covers and,when presented with torx screws, came back in and asked me if I wanted an EV plate. I said is it cause you can't get my plate off? and they said no, then they went away and came back and asked me again "Are you sure you don't want an EV plate?" I was like, are there any benefits and they said oh yeah, lots of benefits. There are no extra benefits to an EV plate unless you're in a car crash and even then everyone knows what a Tesla is, especially first responders.

So instead of saying "we don't have torx bits", they ruined my screw covers, didn't tell me, and proceeded to lie to me to get me to accept an EV plate because they couldn't unscrew my license plate. It's not even that they damaged my property, it's that they felt they had to lie about it in order to dupe me. Now I drove home in the car I came in with, with no screw covers.

The paint looked good but there were still weird panel alignment issues, which they noted down. I would hope since I couldn't take delivery they would address these during the interim, but I'm pretty sure they're still gonna wait until I take delivery and then force me to go back again.

Who do I talk to to explain this stuff? Is there a main number or should I talk to the store manager. I get it that this is the busiest weekend for Tesla, but I didn't ask to take delivery today, they forced it on me to boost Q3 numbers. And now that won't even happen.

Side note: I went to the Audi dealership in my anger and it was DEAD. No one there. The Tesla store looked like a circus. Also, i saw a guy drive up to the Tesla store with his trade-in, a Audi RS7 with 9500 miles on the odometer. These are crazy times.

Tesla SC called and confirmed my delivery for tomorrow 9/29. Car has been at SC for a couple of days. I am looking forward for a smooth process. P3D+, MCR, black inside, EAP.
I picked up my P3D+, MCR, black interior today. No issues with delivery or car. It looks good. I drove it about 185 mi home, mostly using EAP, after it calibrated. 7 mi on odometer at start. The car is throw you back in your seat, make you dizzy, and vomit fast.

so need some advice, my P3D- said end of September delivery which did not happen which I'm not disappointed about as I wanted to avoid the end of quarter rush. I am hoping to get a car that is manufactured 10/18 and not 9/18. my question is, how long should I wait before I call Tesla to find out whats going on? I was thinking around 10/9 or so. my hope is to get a car delivered end of October but is also manufactured in October as well

went to get supercharging for the first time today...I was charged for some odd reason...after about 2 bucks i decided to just charge the rest at home...I thought I was suppose to get it for free since I ordered before June, anyone else with this issue? Also i detailed my car today and found a paint issue, apparently there was a scuff mark at the driver side high pillar area and when I did paint correct all the paint came off, (size of a half a toothpick)..you think Tesla can fix it? or should I go the paint chip repair from their website?

Some photos of my car. Build date of 9/18, VIN 632xx.

Attachments

• 3233A7D1-6E92-49A1-934A-03D0D190737B.jpeg
    3233A7D1-6E92-49A1-934A-03D0D190737B.jpeg
    845.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 13BA8873-18C7-4E4E-BD29-0E2447797A0B.jpeg
    13BA8873-18C7-4E4E-BD29-0E2447797A0B.jpeg
    846.3 KB · Views: 69
Reactions: CrazyCoconut
went to get supercharging for the first time today...I was charged for some odd reason...after about 2 bucks i decided to just charge the rest at home...I thought I was suppose to get it for free since I ordered before June, anyone else with this issue?

I Supercharged P3D+ first time yesterday as well. I should have free lifetime Supercharging. My online account still says "par per use", but it seems pretty common on the internet that this status takes weeks to update. In the car during charging, it was showing a counter of the cost to charge adding up. But going to my account history now, it shows a cost of $0 for the session.

So I'm thinking that I am correctly getting free charging, but not all the flags are set correctly yet to show it. Seems to be a common thing from doing searches online.

I Supercharged P3D+ first time yesterday as well. I should have free lifetime Supercharging. My online account still says "par per use", but it seems pretty common on the internet that this status takes weeks to update. In the car during charging, it was showing a counter of the cost to charge adding up. But going to my account history now, it shows a cost of $0 for the session.

So I'm thinking that I am correctly getting free charging, but not all the flags are set correctly yet to show it. Seems to be a common thing from doing searches online.

I called service and they said this was a common issue that needs to be resolved (left a note in my account), hopefully gets resolved soon. I did find one of my right taillight/sidelight on the opposite side of the charging port is a bit loose, looks like a missing clip or something where it can move under high speed, need to get that fixed but so far so good

I picked up my P3D+ in Dedham Friday afternoon. I showed up about an hour early and it took about three hours before I was driving away. The place was a mad house but everyone was working their butts off and very nice. It was good to meet and talk with some new owners (like myself) and previous owners buying another or trading. I couldn't really inspect my car well since it was all wet. I did find a light scratch towards the back of the car but that should buff out. Unfortunately once the car dried off and I could see it in the sun and the lighting in my garage I found a number of issues, some pretty significant and may need respray not just paint correction. Aside from the paint, the car is just amazing. Such a well designed and put together car, just amazing! Also my 63,2XX VIN has a build date of 9/18.

Reactions: Sg911
I picked up my P3D+ in Dedham Friday afternoon. I showed up about an hour early and it took about three hours before I was driving away. The place was a mad house but everyone was working their butts off and very nice. It was good to meet and talk with some new owners (like myself) and previous owners buying another or trading. I couldn't really inspect my car well since it was all wet. I did find a light scratch towards the back of the car but that should buff out. Unfortunately once the car dried off and I could see it in the sun and the lighting in my garage I found a number of issues, some pretty significant and may need respray not just paint correction. Aside from the paint, the car is just amazing. Such a well designed and put together car, just amazing! Also my 63,2XX VIN has a build date of 9/18.

In my experience, the first year with a premium car, every little scratch and ding hurts. Tiny stuff is absolutely impossible to avoid. After a year, it stops bugging you. Somebody is going to grind cheese crackers into the cupholders or something like that. Unavoidable With my Audi I traded in, I'd get it detailed every year inside and out. It came away looking fresh (comparatively). Our cars are probably brothers, my VIN is also 632XX with a 9/18 build.

What Tesla needs to do is put plastic sheets on their cars prior to putting them in the trucks. I live in the Detroit area, I see a lot of car carriers. The foreign makes usually always protect their cars with plastic in shipment. Domestic, not so much.

In my experience, the first year with a premium car, every little scratch and ding hurts. Tiny stuff is absolutely impossible to avoid. After a year, it stops bugging you. Somebody is going to grind cheese crackers into the cupholders or something like that. Unavoidable With my Audi I traded in, I'd get it detailed every year inside and out. It came away looking fresh (comparatively). Our cars are probably brothers, my VIN is also 632XX with a 9/18 build.

What Tesla needs to do is put plastic sheets on their cars prior to putting them in the trucks. I live in the Detroit area, I see a lot of car carriers. The foreign makes usually always protect their cars with plastic in shipment. Domestic, not so much.
Congrats!!

True... ceramic coating helped my Hellcat in black lol-

Tesla has been having the cars completely plastic wrapped lately on the truck deliveries I’ve seen here

I hear you, although this isnt my first “premium car“. The level of issues that it had was not nitpicky, they were definitely substantial. A scuff under the bumper or in a door jam, yes that’s fine, it will happen and I’ll live with it. But crap in the paint on the apex of the fender, a deep scratch through the clear coat 6 inches long on the other fender, clear coat burned through to color on a body line, a noticeably off color front bumper due to paint that is substantially thinner than the hood and fender paint? These are the kind of things I’m talking about. I won’t drone on about them or put pictures but I went by the dealership today and they confirmed that they were big issues as well. They were pleasant to work with and the car is at a certified Tesla body shop that I’m very comfortable doing the work. There will be three panels re-sprayed and after that it’s going to the detail shop to have the other smaller issues worked over all on Tesla’s dime. I’ve bought $20,000 cars that were in better shape, and I scrutinize them just the same. All in all, while it should’ve been delivered in much better condition, as long as they take care of it I’ll be perfectly happy.

Paint issues aside, the car is just absolutely amazing and I have zero regrets at this point.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
I hear you, although this isnt my first “premium car“. The level of issues that it had was not nitpicky, they were definitely substantial. A scuff under the bumper or in a door jam, yes that’s fine, it will happen and I’ll live with it. But crap in the paint on the apex of the fender, a deep through the clear coat 6 inch scratch on the other fender, clear coat burned through to color on a body line, a noticeably off color front bumper due to paint that is substantially thinner than the hood and fender paint? These are the kind of things I’m talking about. I won’t drone on about them or put pictures but I went by the dealership today and they confirmed that they were big issues as well. They were pleasant to work with and the car is at a certified Tesla body shop that I’m very comfortable doing the work now to have three panels re-sprayed and after that it’s going to the detail shop to have the other smaller issues worked over all on Tesla’s fine. I’ve bought $20,000 cars that were in better shape, and I scrutinize them just the same. All in all, while it should’ve been delivered in much better condition, as long as they take care of it I’ll be perfectly happy.

Paint issues aside, the car is just absolutely amazing and I have zero regrets at this point.

I live near Detroit. My company actually makes equipment that measures the thickness of paint while it is being sprayed - wet (although it is used for military aircraft). The Corvette painters at GM were briefly interested in our equipment. I recall them saying people who buy Corvettes go over the car from front to back and unless the finish is perfect, they won't buy the car. So GM spends a lot more time making Corvette paint pretty. As far as your average family SUV, they choose colors with metal flake because it hides "orange peel" - they just paint em as fast as they can. Tesla is making a "sport car" on the same line running "family hauler" volumes. They probably need another paint booth line, and to run it all slower.

I feel lucky not to have noticed anything on my paint job that won't be overwhelmed by minor wear in 6 months. Meaning, pretty decent.

My trunk is already dirty, full of straw bits. I took my wife for a country drive Sunday and we bought pumpkins.

The 0 to 60 sprint (I did that before the pumpkins) scared the bejesus out of her. :) Looks fast - drives faster.

I live near Detroit. My company actually makes equipment that measures the thickness of paint while it is being sprayed - wet (although it is used for military aircraft). The Corvette painters at GM were briefly interested in our equipment. I recall them saying people who buy Corvettes go over the car from front to back and unless the finish is perfect, they won't buy the car. So GM spends a lot more time making Corvette paint pretty. As far as your average family SUV, they choose colors with metal flake because it hides "orange peel" - they just paint em as fast as they can. Tesla is making a "sport car" on the same line running "family hauler" volumes. They probably need another paint booth line, and to run it all slower.

I feel lucky not to have noticed anything on my paint job that won't be overwhelmed by minor wear in 6 months. Meaning, pretty decent.

My trunk is already dirty, full of straw bits. I took my wife for a country drive Sunday and we bought pumpkins.

The 0 to 60 sprint (I did that before the pumpkins) scared the bejesus out of her. :) Looks fast - drives faster.

Well I can tell you my Corvette paint was absolutely flawless gorgeous paint, crystal red metallic. It makes sense! I wish Tesla has that color, I like it better than the multi coat red honestly.

Like other TMC members, I’m another victim of Tesla’s logistics hell. Went to pick up my car on Saturday in Dedham, MA only to find an absolute *sugar* show. Was there for 5 hrs and left there without my car. Since MA DMV closes at 5, they couldn’t register cars after this time. Then they proceeded to pressure everyone into paying for their cars to make “pick up quicker at the beginning of the week” but it was really to boost Tesla’s Q3 earnings. Went to pick up car today, spent another 3 hrs there, only to find out my car is still in California. So I left with a loaner but will start paying loan payments soon on a car that is in California with no exact delivery date. Anyone else go through a similar situation get compensated or given any incentives? DM me if so. Would love to know if I could negotiate.

Like other TMC members, I’m another victim of Tesla’s logistics hell. Went to pick up my car on Saturday in Dedham, MA only to find an absolute *sugar* show. Was there for 5 hrs and left there without my car. Since MA DMV closes at 5, they couldn’t register cars after this time. Then they proceeded to pressure everyone into paying for their cars to make “pick up quicker at the beginning of the week” but it was really to boost Tesla’s Q3 earnings. Went to pick up car today, spent another 3 hrs there, only to find out my car is still in California. So I left with a loaner but will start paying loan payments soon on a car that is in California with no exact delivery date. Anyone else go through a similar situation get compensated or given any incentives? DM me if so. Would love to know if I could negotiate.
I'm glad they at least got you a Tesla loaner after that hassle and good will you showed by paying them in full. What an experience....

Reactions: Toddsquad
I hear you, although this isnt my first “premium car“. The level of issues that it had was not nitpicky, they were definitely substantial. A scuff under the bumper or in a door jam, yes that’s fine, it will happen and I’ll live with it. But crap in the paint on the apex of the fender, a deep scratch through the clear coat 6 inches long on the other fender, clear coat burned through to color on a body line, a noticeably off color front bumper due to paint that is substantially thinner than the hood and fender paint? These are the kind of things I’m talking about. I won’t drone on about them or put pictures but I went by the dealership today and they confirmed that they were big issues as well. They were pleasant to work with and the car is at a certified Tesla body shop that I’m very comfortable doing the work. There will be three panels re-sprayed and after that it’s going to the detail shop to have the other smaller issues worked over all on Tesla’s dime. I’ve bought $20,000 cars that were in better shape, and I scrutinize them just the same. All in all, while it should’ve been delivered in much better condition, as long as they take care of it I’ll be perfectly happy.

Same VIN range, same color, same paint issues. I'm debating whether or not to care about them. I'm gonna take it to a detailer and see what he says, but I don't want to go through the whole body shop process. I thought about asking for another one, but I'm sure every car has a little something.

I was also surprised there are still body panel issues, my passenger side window sticks out past the B pillar and both taillights are a little off. One of my door handles is inset more than the rest. I have a theory that this is a result of the stamping equipment falling out of spec and them not having the time to readjust. But that's just a theory. I might try to get these things fixed, but I'll have to work up the patience for it.

The whole experience was rushed, with the guy who "sent me off" saying they'll fix issues "as long as they're real" like everyone is making them up (although they are being amplified by nefarious interests). I never got a chance to note the issues because he sent me on my way so fast they forgot to put the plate on the car. There were some nice people working there also, who made the experience a little more bearable. But the last guy I dealt with couldn't be bothered as he rubbed up and down on the B pillar with the key card to demonstrate it.

I finally got to drive around a little after the OCD haze wore off and I forgot about all the issues for those moments. I can honestly say there is nothing like this car out there. You press the go pedal and you enter warp drive. You take a corner and the corner moves around your car as the car stays in the same plane. It's not just fast, it's supernaturally fast. It feels surreal. If they get the build quality dialed in there is no stopping them. There's no car guy on the planet who doesn't want the driving experience this car gives you.

• Love
Reactions: TORQU3 and Sg911