Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85+ 20" Wheels - Perfect Specs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cheers,

Like many of you, my 21 inch turbines have been bent and probably need replacing. I am planning on sizing down to a 20 inch rim.

I'm interested in finding out what the perfect rim spec would be to keep the car feeling as factory as possible. I'm also interested in a square setup for easy tire rotations. I've heard that a square set up can actually make the car handle slightly better and get better range.

My inclination is 20x9 all around. No idea what the best offset and backspacing would be. Leaning towards 255/40/20 tires. That seems to be most similar to stock.

I'm wondering if I really need forged wheels to prevent bending in the future or if the additional sidewall will protect me well enough. My roads here aren't great, and I drive over speed bumps and train tracks daily.

2015 P85D
I just could not justify the cost of Tesla's 21s especially given how heavy they were.
These are 10 lbs per corner lighter and allowed me to originally use Pilot Super Sports which are less money while wearing longer and having more grip then Tesla's PS2s.

I just recently replaced the rears and went to PS4s. I run near zero rear toe on the rear to control wear. This made my previous real wheel drive cars hunt a bit on the highway but did not pose any problem with the D. With the PS4s, I've noticed the rear is hunting a good bit more then it has over the previous 40K miles on PSS'. It's not as bad as the two wheel drive set up but the PS4 construction/tread pattern is more prone to hunt and may require a tad more rear toe then I've previously had to use.

Hope the above helps.

Bill

PS
Not bent a single rim to date but have learned to buy five rims when I buy any custom rim. Sometimes these puppies go out of production and, if you do ding one, you end up having the buy four because you can not replace the one :)

Yes... Sorry, I should have said that. I seem to remember they are 9s all around so I could easily move fronts to rear.

Note that the screw Tesla uses to retain the rotor when the caliper is off sits a tad proud of the rotor face. Half of the screw head needs to be ground down least it hold the rim off the rotor face. I also seem to remember having to do a little fiddling with the center caps to clear the drive shaft nuts..... Getting old and do not remember exactly what it was but it was not a big deal.