Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PA State Inspection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So here in PA we have to get an emissions test for our cars every year. Since there's no emissions in a Tesla, do they still need a yearly state inspection? I imagine the government is gonna want some money no matter what car we drive. If we do need it, can it be done by any mechanic or would it have to be at a tesla service center?

Yes. You get one sticker for safety inspection that needs to be renewed every year.

Tesla SC can not inspect the vehicle due to PA law requiring inspection locations to be able to inspect ANY vehicle. Which would require emissions testing equipment in most cases, which wouldn’t make sense for obvious reasons.

Ask your SC for local recommendations. had my M3 inspected at a Firestone nearby that were very familiar with Tesla cars (They asked me if I had the premium interior to determine who’s clothes were clean enough to drive the car). They didn’t even put it on the lift or remove the wheels. More like a formality...

OK thanks! When I buy my M3, will it already have the sticker on it for the first year at least? Or will I have to take it out for inspection right away? Don't wanna get pulled over right after I buy my new car :)

The one time I've ever been pulled over by the cops it was for this reason. I'd just moved to Massachusetts from Michigan, where I'd bought my first ever car (used). In Michigan, at least at that time (1989), there was no auto inspection requirement, so when I moved to Massachusetts, it never occurred to me that I'd need to have my car inspected. Well, a cop noticed my car with new Massachusetts plates and no inspection sticker and pulled me over. Fortunately, I was still within the grace period, so I didn't get a ticket.

Cool let us know how it goes. I didn't think about using a dealership, i always thought they'd be snooty about working on cars from a different company.

Still haven't ordered mine, will probably have to wait till the end of May or early June. I'm in the pottstown area, there's a nissan dealer not too far away in Limerick

I live in an emissions county. When I got my inspection done at a Dodge dealership I'd been to before, the mechanics had about a 10 minute debate, trying to decide if I would get an emissions exempt sticker, or no sticker aside from the normal safety sticker. They eventually decided on no sticker, so I just have the one safety sticker on the windshield.

Next inspection is in May.

Cool let us know how it goes. I didn't think about using a dealership, i always thought they'd be snooty about working on cars from a different company.

Still haven't ordered mine, will probably have to wait till the end of May or early June. I'm in the pottstown area, there's a nissan dealer not too far away in Limerick
They were really good. Cost was $21.19 for the inspection. In and out in under an hour. Positive experience.

Yes unfortunately it seems that you need to get a safety sticker done annually. You’ll need to call the facility beforehand to confirm they’ve inspected other tesla’s before since they might have to jack up the car etc.

Many states have eliminated the vehicle annual safety inspection since there have been studies that disproved the annual requirement with increased vehicle safety. Basically you can find your buddy mechanic and just get it passed. I think MD has a great process, inspect it to title it but require no-annual emissions tests conducted by a state run facility. This eliminates the potential for a corrupt inspection.

Yes. You get one sticker for safety inspection that needs to be renewed every year.

Tesla SC can not inspect the vehicle due to PA law requiring inspection locations to be able to inspect ANY vehicle. Which would require emissions testing equipment in most cases, which wouldn’t make sense for obvious reasons.

Ask your SC for local recommendations. had my M3 inspected at a Firestone nearby that were very familiar with Tesla cars (They asked me if I had the premium interior to determine who’s clothes were clean enough to drive the car). They didn’t even put it on the lift or remove the wheels. More like a formality...
Mine at the one near the SC in Pittsburgh just drove it around, then slapped a sticker on it. Tesla Model 3 Performance. I'll go back to them, not sure if they'll actually inspect it this time, probably just drive it around and slap the sticker on again.

Uh... I admit my ignorance on this. I had no idea a brand new car even needed a state inspection. This is my first brand new car. Makes no sense to me at all why a brand new car needs an inspection. No one at Tesla ever even mentioned this to me. Picked mine up in Maryland, but I live in Pennsylvania...

Uh... I admit my ignorance on this. I had no idea a brand new car even needed a state inspection. This is my first brand new car. Makes no sense to me at all why a brand new car needs an inspection. No one at Tesla ever even mentioned this to me. Picked mine up in Maryland, but I live in Pennsylvania...
You must get a safety inspection sticker within ten days of purchase. It would be good to take it to an inspection station that has experience with Teslas.

Yeah, if you have an electric car, you will still need to get an annual vehicle inspection.

They just won't need to do an emissions test on your vehicle.

They will just check all of the safety equipment that they normally do on a car, such as lights, tire tread, etc to make sure it all passes!

Yes, on ICE cars, the dealership normally does an inspection when they receive it from the factory and it will get a 2 year inspection (at least here in Texas)

After that ends, then the driver will get annual inspections for that vehicle!