Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting 90kW today.
48186D9C-A893-46F2-B82D-1881D63140BD.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and ckoval7
FYI - As of noon today (Sat, 26 Oct), Tesla shows Allentown closed.

I do not know how long it has been closed (at least an hour) or when it will be re-opened. Any helpful information would be appreciated. I will post an update tomorrow if I notice a change. Hopefully, the closure is to address the unreliable charging that has been occurring for several weeks.

As promised, update today shows entire station still shut down as of 1600 Sunday 27Oct (>24hrs downtime).

No information found on work being done or estimated completion. Therefore from Harrisburg PA to Basking Ridge NJ (150mi?) on 78 E/W, a vital thoroughfare is down for at least the weekend with no warning or details. Most Teslas should easily make that hop, but it mandates a 40min+ stop on either end for every Tesla that was forced to skip Allentown. Or worse for those who expected Allentown to be online and now must have 50mi plus range and over an hour to divert to to the nearest charger in the wrong direction.

Allentown is my my most frequented station for departing or returning on long trips, so I am anxiously awaiting it's restoration to full power. But there's no indication that that's what's happening. Is there anywhere this information can be found? If not, does anyone have unpublished knowledge of what's going on?

• Informative
Reactions: Whiteblaze
As promised, update today shows entire station still shut down as of 1600 Sunday 27Oct (>24hrs downtime).

No information found on work being done or estimated completion. Therefore from Harrisburg PA to Basking Ridge NJ (150mi?) on 78 E/W, a vital thoroughfare is down for at least the weekend with no warning or details. Most Teslas should easily make that hop, but it mandates a 40min+ stop on either end for every Tesla that was forced to skip Allentown. Or worse for those who expected Allentown to be online and now must have 50mi plus range and over an hour to divert to to the nearest charger in the wrong direction.

Allentown is my my most frequented station for departing or returning on long trips, so I am anxiously awaiting it's restoration to full power. But there's no indication that that's what's happening. Is there anywhere this information can be found? If not, does anyone have unpublished knowledge of what's going on?
I was about to make a trip through there today and noticed the "closed". Had to charge before my trip because of this.

Many thanks for the replies regarding the closure.

As of 1300, 30 OCT, still showing closed on Tesla App and in-car Nav. I'll ignore the Tesla 'closed' status and use the station the next time I need to.

Any experience since the "closure" regarding charging experience (full power, reduced power, erratic, etc)? I'm hoping it was actually closed and that the previous charging issues have been corrected.

Check posts above; that's why I posted it.

I was getting 90kW on my 70D which was pretty normal for the SoC I was at.

Thank you for clarifying. I did not know that 90kW was pretty normal.

I will assume then, that 90kW on a 70D at <20% SoC is indication that the station is fully operational and all stalls can reliably provide 120kW (if another vehicle is not drawing power from the paired stall).

In my two experiences, prior to the "closed" status, when the stalls were operating erratically, of the eight stalls, there were one or two stalls that would start to charge, but fail to provide power. There were other stalls that would provide very reduced power (<20kW?) and the remaining stalls may or not have provided maximum power (difficult to determine without collecting a lot of parameters from strangers and having the knowledge to calculate expected max power).

In the worst of the two experiences, there were 10-15 Tesla's (at least 10 at once, didn't keep track of how many came and went during the 2 hours I was there) jockeying around trying to figure out if their vehicle would charge in a specific stall. I am relieved that everything has been resolved.

Tesla crew was there today resolving the reduced service issues. They had some new equipment being installed to that was shipped in. Should be up and running in next few days back to normal capacity soon.

In mean time, at least 2 stalls 3A and 3B were functioning at 100% and rest were working just not at max power level just yet.

Reactions: Maximapolak
Navigation continues to show reduced service. However, I was just there today, 11/3. By chance I also charged at 3B and can confirm I was at full power.

Also 7 out of 8 stalls were in use, but the application said all 8 stalls were in use. So I can confirm that you can still charge there for at at least 7 stalls.

Charged today, for the first time since nav/app started displaying "Closed". Nav indicated, "Reduced Service", "Closed" and "0 of 8" stalls available. In reality it was not closed; it was reduced power (at least 1B) and there were only 3 Teslas occupying stalls, 5 empty.

This session, I first plugged in at 1B as 2A, 3A, and 4A were occupied. Stall 1B incremented power up to 40kW and immediately cascaded to around 20kW, then climbed climbed back up to 40kW and dropped again. Starting SoC was 24%. I let the cycle repeat maybe 5-7 times in less than five minutes and decided to switch stalls. I then moved to stall 3B and it quickly ramped up to 51kW and held steady. I waited a minute at 51kW and then left the car. Checking the app a few times remotely, it looks like it peaked around 55kW and was at around 30kW when I terminated the session at 79%.

To me this is significantly reduced power. But I'm in an very early MS85 (good battery, guessing less than 5% degradation), so I have no idea whether to attribute the lower current (55kW vs 126kW) to v10 throttling or failing equipment at the station. When I first started visiting the Allentown Supercharger about two years ago I would regularly see 126kW. It's been a long time (1 year?) since I've gotten close to that. I assumed that the reduced power was due to more crowding (always sharing stall pair) and arriving at the station at a higher SoC. I used to allow the battery to drop below 20% regularly, now I never let it sit more than a day below 30% (I have no problem driving it to below 10%, but that's always ending at home or Supercharger).

Note: It's Sunday, there was no work being performed, but there was a fork lift parked two spots from the last stall.

Note: I now suspect that the "Closed" status may be intentionally incorrect. Perhaps, due to the unreliability of the charging station, Tesla would like to deter as many drivers as possible until the problems are fixed. See last part of post #571. I was there with a gaggle of owners shuffling about a dozen Teslas for two hours trying to get charged and continue on their journeys. It was an unexpectedly cooperative and cordial situation. But that was just two hours out of the several hundreds that the stations been faulty. My most disappointing experience there (not recently) was unoccupied MX with trailer charging for over 45min, parked sideways across FOUR stalls.

Charged at Allentown this morning even though the SC was grayed out on navigation and noted as closed. Only one vehicle charging when I arrived. Used 3A. Max kW leveled out at 65 or so. SC appears to be working but not at charge rate we have experienced at other SC. No sign of work being done, new or old equipment on site.