Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI ran some tests on my car yesterday - 72 degrees here in Michigan - got 440kW @ 84% SoC (not launch mode, with max battery). Prior to the update I was getting no more than 415kW @ 98% SoC (launch mode, with max battery). However, the battery is claiming it needs service and the service center is planning on replacing it. They wanted to have my car there all week waiting for the loaner battery, but I cannot drive a loaner car as being limited to 7mph slower than highway traffic here is simply irritating, so I try to reduce how long I have a loaner...

Skysurfer,

Could you please advise if you have a P85D, P90D, or a P100D? Also, what is your battery version?

I ask as I am getting nothing more than 447 kW on my P90D w/Lud, despite the revision/deletion of the counters via the software update of a few nights ago. Still doesn't perform as well as the MotorTrend or Car and Driver 2015 P90D test cars . . . .

So frustrated and only mildly contemplating the purchase of an inventory P100D, BUT am unsure if they too have various battery versions. (Net result: Rewarding Tesla for screwing me over as the owner of an early P90DL. Am I the only one that sees the insanity of this thought process?!?)

Don't want to be burned by Tesla again. Does anyone know how many version of the 100 kWh battery there are?

Thanks!

Yes, it is a P90DL with the V2 pack (1394).
IMG_20160831_085812-01.jpeg
Just did my after runs on 17.6.15, still right at 490kW, so no change there.
Screenshot_20170219-172954.png Screenshot_20170219-215210.png
I am a bit surprised that this car, of any, had not reached the limit with 20,000 less-than-gentle miles on the clock but glad to know Tesla will stand behind it if anything does fail prematurely.

I should add that all the runs were launch mode with max battery ready at 95-98% charge.

I am a bit surprised that this car, of any, had not reached the limit with 20,000 less-than-gentle miles

Did you use Launch mode much over that 20k? MBP much?

all the runs were launch mode

Why use Launch Mode? I dont use it and still get the max kW. Just use MBP

Another post well upthread speculated that using LM creates extra stress and I and others have confirmed that it provides no acceleration benefit.

JonMs post earlier suggested that perhaps something might have changed with latest software, but no clarification yet.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18

The runs that I posted of before and after the update were using launch mode for the sake of data consistency. It is not something I use every time with max battery.

However, when giving test rides, I typically use launch mode as the groan of the brakes and squatting of the car gives a nice bit of anticipation for any first time riders.

Another post well upthread speculated that using LM creates extra stress and I and others have confirmed that it provides no acceleration benefit.

JonMs post earlier suggested that perhaps something might have changed with latest software, but no clarification yet.
Ok, I'll tell you why. Launch mode does two things that are useful:
1) preloads the suspension (decreases 0-60 time)
2) controls traction (very important when using winter tires, or when the road is a piece of s*it - welcome to Michigan)

• Informative
the groan of the brakes and squatting of the car

Somewhere in there might be the issue with high LM usage. Although if the issue is only something in the battery I don't see how LM would cause different wear on the battery compared to just slamming the pedal as they seem to yield the same output. That is, LM doesn't seem to increase output like MBP does for later batteries.
Ok, I'll tell you why. Launch mode does two things that are useful:
1) preloads the suspension (decreases 0-60 time)
2) controls traction (very important when using winter tires, or when the road is a piece of s*it - welcome to Michigan)

I and others have found slip start to yield faster or at least equal times at the drag strip. Including my 11.3 time for a P85DL which was using slip start.

I don't recall anyone saying their vbox or otherwise measured 0-60 time is faster with LM. What is your source.

Traction control exists whether you use LM or not; except Slip Start turns it off enough to get a minor chirp from the tires. And perhaps under some conditions slip start seems beneficial.

I and others have found slip start to yield faster or at least equal times at the drag strip. Including my 11.3 time for a P85DL which was using slip start.

I don't recall anyone saying their vbox or otherwise measured 0-60 time is faster with LM. What is your source.

Traction control exists whether you use LM or not; except Slip Start turns it off enough to get a minor chirp from the tires. And perhaps under some conditions slip start seems beneficial.
Traction control backs off a LOT when not using LM. I'll give Slip Start a try - haven't used it - do you have to engage it every time or once per drive cycle?

• Helpful
Traction control backs off a LOT when not using LM. I'll give Slip Start a try - haven't used it - do you have to engage it every time or once per drive cycle?

I don't notice TC being different with or without LM but only ever used LM about a dozen times. I went back and forth using slip start, regular hill hold and launch mode and can't recall if it stays on or not.

See eg Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

Somewhere in there might be the issueAlthough if the issue is only something in the battery I don't see how LM would cause different wear on the battery compared to just slamming the pedal as they seem to yield the same output. That is, LM doesn't seem to increase output like MBP does for later batteries.

I would guess that launch mode just preloads the suspension (Motor Trend stated preload at 550ft-lb) and allows for a higher jerk by activating full torque the instant the brakes are released verses the slower (couple hundred milliseconds) ramp as your foot depresses the accelerator pedal. So no peak power differences and I agree that in real world runs it is easier to cut a better light by simply mashing the throttle. I can see the theory how launch mode might shave a tiny bit of time with weight transfer and accelerator lag, especially if you were slow to depresses the pedal but again, in the real world, I don't think it ends up helping.

• Informative
Tesla Model S P100D with latest Ludicrous+ update puts down 920.37 ft-lbs of torque in 3rd-party dyno test

But the vehicle could actually achieve an even higher result in better conditions because as Brooks explains, the test was less than perfect and drained the battery:

“The first few tests were coming in pretty low due to the car pulling back power while throwing up some error codes. The Tesla’s sensors were detecting that the car was not actually moving while the wheels were spinning, causing the car to stop accelerating on the dyno. The first result was around 450 ft lbs of torque. After some experimenting with different settings and start speeds we were able to get the Tesla to make power throughout the test with a top result of 920.37 ft lbs of torque and 588 horsepower to all 4 wheels. These results were obtained at a 88% state of charge along with some wheel spin during the test where the numbers were peaking.”

He estimates that his P100D could achieve over 950+ ft lbs without the wheels spinning on the dyno and with a higher state-of-charge.

upload_2017-2-21_21-29-11.png