Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When they replaced my V1 battery it had about 20K miles ish. I didn't use MB very often with that battery.Because it didn't provide any instant power boost.
I was using MB every time with my new V3 battery to always have the 20kw boost. I stopped when the new release stopped providing the boost.
My goal is to be in the best possible race conditions at all times, in case I run into any predators. My commute is only 20 minutes, so I hardly ever get to MB READY. When I get to work, I shut MB off. Then back ON when departing.

That's a bold move. Li-Ion batteries don't do well in temps outside of Human comfort. Rumor has it the Nissan Leaf range issues are linked to high battery temperatures.

That's a bold move. Li-Ion batteries don't do well in temps outside of Human comfort. Rumor has it the Nissan Leaf range issues are linked to high battery temperatures.
True. I gave it some thought, since it warns me every time I execute MB ON. My logic is to drive the car how I like. If the battery dies before 8 years I am expecting tesla to replace it under warranty. If it makes it past 8 years and dies I will buy another one. Hopefully by then the price will be more reasonable, and the battery technology improved.

True. I gave it some thought, since it warns me every time I execute MB ON. My logic is to drive the car how I like. If the battery dies before 8 years I am expecting tesla to replace it under warranty. If it makes it past 8 years and dies I will buy another one.

Tesla has been pretty forgiving when it comes to warranty issues. More so than I have personally experienced with other car companies. That said, I am extremely pessimistic of that going forward once Model 3 is released.

Hopefully by then the price will be more reasonable, and the battery technology improved.

If there is one thing that Tesla is really bad at...

Need to add P100DL to the list as well since my P100DL has significantly less power after 17.7.2 update. Prior 580kw, post 515kw and definitely a much less seat of your pants experience. Sux as I considered other vehicles but the power output of the tesla sold me on this vehicle.

WOW
I was soooooo close to selling my P85D and getting the P100D because "it did not have the limits". I held off because I wanted AP2 to sort itself and I was feeling a bit queasy about the truth content in Tesla's representations. Me thinks I dodged a bullet.

When they replaced my V1 battery it had about 20K miles ish. I didn't use MB very often with that battery.Because it didn't provide any instant power boost.
I was using MB every time with my new V3 battery to always have the 20kw boost. I stopped when the new release stopped providing the boost.
My goal is to be in the best possible race conditions at all times, in case I run into any predators. My commute is only 20 minutes, so I hardly ever get to MB READY. When I get to work, I shut MB off. Then back ON when departing.

Curious as to what are those predators you have met and how often you do.

Reactions: hostman
Wouldn't that be Hell Cats, Wild Mustangs...and...Priuses (Prii?). :)

It's a jungle out there.

Sure and those Italian bulls and stallions too but the last part of my question is really what I was trying to ask. In thousands of hours I was driving my Tesla I have met only a few of those predators and never both at pole position. I could understand people needing full MB and LM power at the drag strip but really not sure what that could do for him in city commute.

Sure and those Italian bulls and stallions too but the last part of my question is really what I was trying to ask. In thousands of hours I was driving my Tesla I have met only a few of those predators and never both at pole position. I could understand people needing full MB and LM power at the drag strip but really not sure what that could do for him in city commute.
I use it all the time in my commute. Traffic is pretty light out here, I get pole position maybe 30% of lights.

Ok. So your basis is that you guess that I cannot tell the difference between a 486kw thrust and a 447kw thrust?
I can.
And what is WAY more important is Tesla sold me that performance for $13k.
When was the last time you spent that much money on something and didn't get it?
Would you complain or accept?

Mouse nuts.
I've spent 60x that amount on lessons of how deceptive Elon's communication can be.

Going back to v3 battery perf., that's more than they actually promised, you're taking it for granted, and my impression is, you're leaning very much towards being 'entitled' side...
I've already stated earlier I'd be happy with solution as-is now.

BTW, Tesla just screwed me up on trade-in for another $3955, from the first, promised value. What am I gonna do? Cancel transaction? I've been plenty stubborn and righteous in the past, doesn't make me any happier. Buy another Bimmer or Merc? Everyone else is worse. Anyhow, no matter what and if there is a response, this concludes my involvement on this subject; I expressed my opinion that implemented solution (as described by Tech guy) is reasonable. I expect some people will see it differently

• Funny
Reactions: hostman
I am constantly taking back roads versus the highway to have as many chances at lining up at a light or stop etc. After work and on weekends I go trolling certain areas where there are a lot of lights on three wide roads. If I see anything interesting I will track them and try to line up. Most often they will participate. Bless their souls.

Mouse nuts.
I've spent 60x that amount on lessons of how deceptive Elon's communication can be.

Going back to v3 battery perf., that's more than they actually promised, you're taking it for granted, and my impression is, you're leaning very much towards being 'entitled' side...
I've already stated earlier I'd be happy with solution as-is now.

BTW, Tesla just screwed me up on trade-in for another $3955, from the first, promised value. What am I gonna do? Cancel transaction? I've been plenty stubborn and righteous in the past, doesn't make me any happier. Buy another Bimmer or Merc? Everyone else is worse. Anyhow, no matter what and if there is a response, this concludes my involvement on this subject; I expressed my opinion that implemented solution (as described by Tech guy) is reasonable. I expect some people will see it differently
I respect your opinion. Just not when you were implying you knew if I could tell the power reduction.
As stated before. The value of my car is directly related to its performance as with other cars. It is a known fact that only V3 battery performance yields the Tesla specified results. Which is what I paid for and expect.

They are the same chemistry, perhaps different construction.
They are not. Tesla/Panasonic use NCA, (LiNiCoAlO2), the first LEAF's used LMO, (LiMn2O4), and the second gen LEAF packs were NMC, (LiNiMnCo). Further, even if two EV's used the same base chemistry, say NCA for example, proprietary additives and materials can significantly change cell behavior.

They are not. Tesla/Panasonic use NCA, (LiNiCoAlO2), the first LEAF's used LMO, (LiMn2O4), and the second gen LEAF packs were NMC, (LiNiMnCo). Further, even if two EV's used the same base chemistry, say NCA for example, proprietary additives and materials can significantly change cell behavior.

Yep, this mirrors my Google.edu degree of cell chemistry. Either way, high SoC, high temps, and high amp draw are probably still just as bad for our car batteries as they are for other types of Li-Ion. We know this because there are warnings we blow past every time we use MB/Easter egg. Eventually Tesla stops being as liberal as they are currently on warranty decisions and someone is going to be told they need to buy a $20,000 battery. Driving around at MB would be akin to driving an ICE car at or near redline. Sure, you could and you'll make use of the total power output but it'll come at a price.

I'm not sayin', i'm just sayin...