Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ummm...I wasn't guessing at anything.

I --KNOW-- Tech_Guy paid significantly over $100K for his P90DL.

And I --KNOW-- Tesla did not inform him at the time he was ordering the car that they would, in the future, be permanently limiting the power the car would produce if he launched more than a set number of times.

So I don't need any more facts than that to know that simply resetting his counter to 24, as you suggested, or even back to 0, would not be a fair solution to this issue.
What if Tech guy like myself doesn't care about using LM ever again? For me it would be fair. I would love to have the power back. Who cares about LM? What benefit does it provide?

Did Tech_Guy know, when he forked over somewhere well in excess of $100K to Tesla, that he would be limited to a certain number of launches? He did not.

For that reason and that reason alone, your proposed solution falls far short of being fair.

Exactly.

At this point Tech_Guy shouldn't have his power limited at all. Ever.

He never agreed to having his power cut whether he used their launch mode 1 time or a million times.

Nor did they tell him when they gave him launch mode that using it could result in his power being cut.

That was never part of any agreement that any of us signed or agreed to.

Also they can keep their counter for all the good it means to existing owners.

As far as I'm concerned, it's meaningless and does not apply for anyone who bought their car prior to Tesla's new verbiage regarding cutting power.

What if Tech guy like myself doesn't care about using LM ever again? For me it would be fair.

This isn't about Tech_Guy, you, or me.

This is about those of us that care about Tesla's future coming together and letting Tesla know that it is not OK to decide to give customers less than what they paid for after the sale has been completed.

This is not the first time Tesla has done something along these lines. Tesla management needs to understand that while it may be necessary to change policies and add disclaimers, these changes and disclaimers can simply not apply to customers who purchased when the better terms and no disclaimers were in place.

It's really as simple as that, at least for me.

Last edited:
Exactly.

At this point Tech_Guy shouldn't have his power limited at all. Ever.

He never agreed to having his power cut whether he used their launch mode 1 time or a million times.

Nor did they tell him when they gave him launch mode that using it could result in his power being cut.

That was never part of any agreement that any of us signed or agreed to.

Also they can keep their counter for all the good it means to existing owners.

As far as I'm concerned, it's meaningless and does not apply for anyone who bought their car prior to Tesla's new verbiage regarding cutting power.
It clearly isn't fair to cut someone's power. That is the issue.
The solution is to un cut the power. That would be fair. Since Tech guy hasn't exceeded the counter it is expected no damage was done.

Tesla should disable LM immediately. So no other owners are affected.

For anyone affected they should return their. Cars to full power with LM disabled.

Then Tesla should be transparent about the damage that might have occurred by owners that did use LM prior to the imposed limit. If any damage was incurred Tesla should repair the damage.

What if Tech guy like myself doesn't care about using LM ever again? For me it would be fair. I would love to have the power back. Who cares about LM? What benefit does it provide?

It, along with its counter, should be removed from all vehicles in the fleet and all vehicles ordered before Tesla's announcement.

Whomever dreamed this up at Tesla should be fired immediately and anyone else in his immediate proximity.

Anyone else who was in the room or at the meeting when this crap was first conceived should be gone as well.

Not tomorrow, not next week. Now.

I can't think of a better way to get people to stop buying the performance versions of this vehicle than what we're seeing here.

Indeed, if I were intending to do damage to Tesla, or intending to commit a malicious act against them, I cannot think of a more effective way to do that than to spread the word that the performance versions of their cars had a "counter" on them, which registers how many times you use their launch mode, and when you reach that point they cut your power. Permanently.

Anyone associated with dreaming that up should be gone.

And should anyone at Tesla who was associated with dreaming up this fiasco be reading this, .....do the honorable thing and resign. Immediately.

There is still time to undo some of the damage by removing this wording from anything related to Tesla.

Last edited:
Reactions: Walta
It clearly isn't fair to cut someone's power. That is the issue.

That is the smaller, immediately pressing issue. I'm concerned with this issue, but I am more concerned with how this issue is indicative of the larger, more serious issue.

Tesla should disable LM immediately. So no other owners are affected.

That would be fair for customers that purchased before Launch Mode existed or had been announced. (I don't recall if there was a time when we knew it was coming or not, so the "announced" part may be irrelevant.) It would not, however, be fair for customers who purchased after Launch Mode existed, and who were expecting to be able to use Launch Mode without restriction.

Reactions: P85DEE and Walta
That is the smaller, immediately pressing issue. I'm concerned with this issue, but I am more concerned with how this issue is indicative of the larger, more serious issue.

That would be fair for customers that purchased before Launch Mode existed or had been announced. (I don't recall if there was a time when we knew it was coming or not, so the "announced" part may be irrelevant.) It would not, however, be fair for customers who purchased after Launch Mode existed, and who were expecting to be able to use Launch Mode without restriction.
Valid point.

One thing I can't get passed though is that LM has not proven to be any more effective than doing a pedal mash. If for instance we had supporting data to show that you can only meet the 0-60 and quarter mile times specified using LM ? Then all this response would make sense.

I feel that the bigger issue is that some owners may have incurred drive train damage from exceeding the LM limit prior to the LM counter. And hopefully the drive train will fail prior to the warranty expiring.

Exactly

The way I see it, is to scrap this whole idea and look to other more sensible and above all else, ethical and fair ways to limit their warranty exposure.

In my opinion, any track sustained damage should be disqualified for consideration for warranty repair.

As the fleet expands, Tesla probably cannot afford to absorb the cost of indiscriminately fixing cars which have sustained immediate or cumulative damaged being run on a racing surface.

I don't doubt that this is probably at least part of what spawned this whole idea of limiting launches before cutting power and launch counters and such.

It should be explained up front and in no uncertain terms that track related damage is not eligible for warranty repair.

That's fair. My auto insurance does not cover me if I crash my car on a race track.

If I'm going to drive off road, we'll then I should assume all of the risks associated with that.

Irrespective of how the car was "marketed".

Sure it's marketed "like that". But if I want to drive it "like that", if I break something doing it, then it should be on me.

If I am not prepared to repair or replace it, then I need to keep it on the road. Don't race it if you're not ready to replace it.

I should not have my power cut under any circumstances.

I paid for it and expect to keep it.

Exactly

The way I see it, is to scrap this whole idea and look to other more sensible and above all else, ethical and fair ways to limit their warranty exposure.

In my opinion, any track sustained damage should be disqualified for consideration for warranty repair.

As the fleet expands, Tesla probably cannot afford to absorb the cost of indiscriminately fixing cars which have sustained immediate or cumulative damaged being run on a racing surface.

I don't doubt that this is probably at least part of what spawned this whole idea of limiting launches before cutting power and launch counters and such.

It should be explained up front and in no uncertain terms that track related damage is not eligible for warranty repair.

That's fair. My auto insurance does not cover me if I crash my car on a race track.

If I'm going to drive off road, we'll then I should assume all of the risks associated with that.

Sure it's marketed "like that". But if I want to drive it "like that", if I break something doing it, then it should be on me.

If I am not prepared to repair or replace it, then I need to keep it on the road. Don't race it if you're not ready to replace it.

Exactly

Exactly

I hope by "track damage" you are not including a few runs down the dragstrip on occasion. In my opinion there is no difference between showing off to your friends by demonstrating ludicrous and driving down the strip. On a yearly basis I certainly have stomped on the pedal more on the street than than on the strip. As you know I rarely use launch mode as there is no advantage to it and the reaction time will be slower.

Reactions: msnow and Walta
When I purchased the car I was told to get full performance I should enter ludicrous mode and enjoy.
Now my testing is showing that I need to also set max battery. And even when the battery is cold using max battery on will add about 20kw and remove it when not enabled.
So while max battery also heats the battery to optimum level for max performance it also acts like an immediate 20kw power boost. I was expecting ludicrous to already provide that max power and max battery to only heat to optimum level to squeeze out some additional power?
So while not a big deal. Every time you want to get great performance you need to always take a moment to enable max battery also. This seems like something new? And if you want even greater performance wait till max battery is ready.

Accidentally chose reply. Then couldn't un reply.

How does one cancel a reply?

Thanks.

Under your own post those options appear after posting.

Apologies for continuing this off-topic conversation, but hopefully my post will end it.

If you find yourself in the middle of a response you want to abort, you should be able to just select "back" in your browser, and abort the post that way. Another option would be to delete any quotes, and anything at all in the reply field, and hit "post" on a completely blank message. That will result in an error message, though you may still have to use the browser back button after that to complete the abort. (I don't do it often, so am not 100% certain on the details, but I do know that a completely blank post won't post.)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP and Walta
When I purchased the car I was told to get full performance I should enter ludicrous mode and enjoy.
Now my testing is showing that I need to also set max battery. And even when the battery is cold using max battery on will add about 20kw and remove it when not enabled.
So while max battery also heats the battery to optimum level for max performance it also acts like an immediate 20kw power boost. I was expecting ludicrous to already provide that max power and max battery to only heat to optimum level to squeeze out some additional power?
So while not a big deal. Every time you want to get great performance you need to always take a moment to enable max battery also. This seems like something new? And if you want even greater performance wait till max battery is ready.
You are right. Maximum battery was added with one of the updates. I think the point is you cannot feel the difference by the seat of your pants, so I don't worry about it when demonstrating ludicrous. However when at the track I always enable max battery and wait for battery ready.

• Informative
Reactions: Walta
I hope by "track damage" you are not including a few runs down the dragstrip on occasion. In my opinion there is no difference between showing off to your friends by demonstrating ludicrous and driving down the strip. On a yearly basis I certainly have stomped on the pedal more on the street than than on the strip. As you know I rarely use launch mode as there is no advantage to it and the reaction time will be slower.

Tesla would have to lay out the ground rules.

Caution: speculation and SWAGS follow:

Without question, I think the point to be taken in all of this, is that they appear to be trying to limit either their current, or anticipated warranty exposure, from claims arising from the use of launch mode.

Otherwise why take the step that they did?

I can think of no other reason for only targeting those cars with launch mode.

They may know something unflattering about launch mode that we don't know yet.

Why target "launch mode" and not just plain garden variety accelerator pedal stomps?

If it is the case that launch mode and "long term" use of it can lead to problems, and from what they've written it appears that it can, well then the simple solution would have just been to eliminate launch mode from any cars in the fleet.

But eliminating launch mode would be an admission that it was half baked when they released it and adds nothing from a performance standpoint.

Eliminating it would trigger questions as to if performance suffers as a result of its absence.

How would Tesla answer that question?

Eliminating it would be just as big of an embarrassment as this is. If not bigger because they've gone to the trouble to tout 0-60 times so hard......presumably using launch mode.

So now it's no longer "expendable".

To then turn around and say, "we're eliminating launch mode from our cars, but our 0-60 times are the same with or without it and don't change as a result of our eliminating it", would be an admission that it really doesn't add any benefit performance wise, which many in here already believe.

I suspect that what they've found....... is that the only thing that launch mode is good for, or is going to end up being good for.....is breaking parts. Causing more damage than it's good for.....possibly or even likely within the warranty period.

That's why they don't want you using it.

If that's what they're fearful of, then perhaps the best move, if the goal was to limit launch mode's actual use, and thus limit their warranty exposure as a result of it's use, would have been to focus on the venue where it was most likely to be used.

The drag strip.

If this is the case, then I can deal with that.

But not permanently cutting my power.

Last edited: