Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just finalized our 5th Tesla - X P100D. We will not accept delivery until there is an official statement on this topic. Our Sig X may be the last P car unless there is some action from Tesla.

With regard to the part in bold, good for you.

That's an action that at least has a chance of producing a favorable result.

And if it doesn't, well then at least you don't get stiffed later on down the road.

Reactions: Andyw2100
We just finalized our 5th Tesla - X P100D. We will not accept delivery until there is an official statement on this topic. Our Sig X may be the last P car unless there is some action from Tesla.

Unfortunately a rather understandable position to take.

I am not really sure how Tesla expects this to fly. The previous issues like P85D have really only come to a head after that model has been replaced by a new one (and again here P90DL comes to light after being replaced by P100D), but now Tesla clearly has extended the announcement to P100D as well.

It is not a very comfortable feeling for those considering a new Performance version, this level of ambiguity.

No. Of course you full well know Tesla informed the people in question after the fact. We are not in disagreement about that being wrong.

I am merely saying Tesla has admitted to several existing owners this is going on. Basically Tesla has admitted they are counting the full-throttles and are employing limiting controls based on them.

I just thought it was important to make that distiction for clarity, lest anyone read your message in a way that suggests Tesla has not said anything on the matter of pre-existing owners and their cars being limited.

I just want to re point out that Tesla never reached out to me to tell me about this loss of power I reached out to tesla about it and then received some basic info. To my knowledge Tesla has not contacted any owners about this issue for example one of my friends has a v3 car like mine and if not for me telling him, he would have no idea...

With regard to the part in bold, good for you.

That's an action that at least has a chance of producing a favorable result.

And if it doesn't, well then at least you don't get stiffed later on down the road.

Realistically, why would you expect a single non-acceptance of a delivery to be producing a favorable result more certainly than PR pressure caused by publicity?

I agree if there are tons of those non-acceptances it might, but without wide publicity, how will anyone (other than those lurking on TMC) know to react that way?

Reactions: msnow
I just want to re point out that Tesla never reached out to me to tell me about this loss of power I reached out to tesla about it and then received some basic info. To my knowledge Tesla has not contacted any owners about this issue for example one of my friends has a v3 car like mine and if not for me telling him, he would have no idea...

Thank you. And I agree, I don't think we have seen any pre-emptive annoucing prior to the P100D disclaimer being added. Tesla has been at times reactive and at others non-responsive with existing owners on this.

Realistically, why would you expect a single non-acceptance of a delivery to be producing a favorable result more certainly than PR pressure caused by publicity?

I meant for him.

I think you and I agree on some things here, but there is still a basic misunderstanding on a few others.

I'm a believer that this matter is going to have to be handled on an individual basis before it can be handled on a more broad basis.

And one other point I'd like to make here about shouting from the rooftops on this matter, and pasting this matter everywhere one can think of in an attempt to "force" collective change on it.

If Tesla should become my adversary in any legal matter, then I don't want to give them any opportunity to claim that I was part of, had a part in orchestrating, or orchestrated, anything which might be taken to be a smear campaign against them.

That is exactly what that thread on the other forum gives them the opportunity to claim. Especially in light of the fact that the author of that thread, by his own admission has exaggerated in the title of it.

One response over there has already been "Good to put this all in one place, but you're not seriously suggesting a 2.4 sec P100D will be hobbled to 4.2 sec, as the title implies?!"

And then the response:

"I'm being dramatic with the title."

I agree if there are tons of those non-acceptances it might, but without wide publicity, how will anyone (other than those lurking on TMC) know to react that way?

See above. First things first. I keep my powder dry. We only have one instance of this happening. That owner will have to decide his own course of action. If it happens to me, then I will decide my own course of action.

Going around all over the internet with this at this point, supposedly in an attempt to effect wholesale change, is in my opinion the wrong move.

Last edited:
It has come to my attention that my post 1393 has errors in it.

All of my responses in that post are to Anxiety Ranger, and the words quoted are all his and not msnows. The time limit on the editing feature won't allow correction. I apologize for any confusion.

Its amazing to me that Tesla has said "Nothing". They have to be reading this thread.

Tesla has responded: Tesla confirms that it limits the power of performance vehicles after too many launches with ‘launch mode’ [Updated]

After having quite a few owners worry about the situation, a Tesla Model S P90D owner claiming to be affected by the exact situation added to the discussion:

“Unfortunately I’m here to say this is true. My car was limited just after the 8.0 update and at first I was convinced it was related to that. I did lots of testing and emailed Tesla my findings. Before this limitation my car would pull around 1600 amps from the battery and 512 KW of power when fully charged, now the car will only pull around 1500 amps and 480 KW of power, a loss of about 40 HP on a 4 month old car.”

He then shared the response he received from a Tesla representative:

“Thank you for your time. To recap our conversation, using launch mode places an increased stress on the entire powertrain accelerating aging and fatigue of various components. The computer systems automatically track launch mode usage and continually estimate fatigue damage. Depending on how launch mode is used, the computer may eventually limit the available power during launch mode to protect the powertrain. Note that this is a common strategy also employed in other high performance cars. As discussed, upgrading to the P100D ludicrous will remove this limit and will not be limited in the future as the P100D does not have this limit for launch mode.”

We reached out to Tesla to confirm if they are indeed limiting the output and a Tesla spokesperson sent us the following statement:

“Like other automakers, our performance vehicles continually monitor the condition of various components and may employ limiting strategies to reduce fatigue on the powertrain.”

• Informative
Reactions: NOLA_Mike
Tesla has responded: Tesla confirms that it limits the power of performance vehicles after too many launches with ‘launch mode’ [Updated]

After having quite a few owners worry about the situation, a Tesla Model S P90D owner claiming to be affected by the exact situation added to the discussion:

“Unfortunately I’m here to say this is true. My car was limited just after the 8.0 update and at first I was convinced it was related to that. I did lots of testing and emailed Tesla my findings. Before this limitation my car would pull around 1600 amps from the battery and 512 KW of power when fully charged, now the car will only pull around 1500 amps and 480 KW of power, a loss of about 40 HP on a 4 month old car.”

“Thank you for your time. To recap our conversation, using launch mode places an increased stress on the entire powertrain accelerating aging and fatigue of various components. The computer systems automatically track launch mode usage and continually estimate fatigue damage. Depending on how launch mode is used, the computer may eventually limit the available power during launch mode to protect the powertrain. Note that this is a common strategy also employed in other high performance cars. As discussed, upgrading to the P100D ludicrous will remove this limit and will not be limited in the future as the P100D does not have this limit for launch mode.”

We reached out to Tesla to confirm if they are indeed limiting the output and a Tesla spokesperson sent us the following statement:

“Like other automakers, our performance vehicles continually monitor the condition of various components and may employ limiting strategies to reduce fatigue on the powertrain.”

So Tesla's PowerTrains are subpar. - when it comes to what's advertised.

And then it goes on to say:

"Tesla’s owner manual contains a page about Launch Mode, but it doesn’t make any mention of limitations on the number of launches – only something about the temperature when using the feature":

That's huge. It also doesn't say anything about cutting the car's power after any number of launches.

This was written 12/23/2016. An addendum is made to the article announcing that a change had occurred on Tesla's order page.

Anyone who bought, prior to that, and that would include me, would have no way of knowing that this applied.

I've just noticed that I cannot copy any text on Order a Tesla Model S | Tesla
Was it always like that?
Homepage is fine, but not the order page.
I wonder if this is a recent intentional change, or a bug?

I can copy text from there in Firefox on windows 7. Looks totally normal (other than it's the UK page instead of the US page).

Is there something you want me to copy here?

I meant for him.

I think you and I agree on some things here, but there is still a basic misunderstanding on a few others.

I'm a believer that this matter is going to have to be handled on an individual basis before it can be handled on a more broad basis.

And one other point I'd like to make here about shouting from the rooftops on this matter, and pasting this matter everywhere one can think of in an attempt to "force" collective change on it.

[...] First things first. I keep my powder dry. We only have one instance of this happening. That owner will have to decide his own course of action. If it happens to me, then I will decide my own course of action.

Going around all over the internet with this at this point, supposedly in an attempt to effect wholesale change, is in my opinion the wrong move.

Fair enough, I get your opinion.

But how about this: Forget about wholesale change thing. But to advance that individual change you talk about, people need to be told by someone. If that isn't Tesla doing the telling, who will it be?

The way you are advocating means very few people will know about this - and thus the rest of the people can't react to what they do not know. It could sound quite selfish actually what you're saying, you caring about your case more than the situation of other owners. I'm sure you don't mean it that way, but I hope you get the point.

So Tesla's PowerTrains are subpar. - when it comes to what's advertised.

Indeed, the picture that seems to be emerging is that Tesla's Performance powertrains have a hard time keeping doing what they are marketed to do.

It seems the current allegend information on this thread is that P100D's drivetrain can't handle the stresses, but its battery can. On P90DL and possibly other Performance models, both drivetrain and battery may not handle the stresses. Hence the limiters.

Reactions: NSX1992