Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is why Volkswagen is going under.
This is mature, fast, problem solving PR.
From the top.

Breathtaking!

Yes, Tesla deserves credit. But, bear in mind that Tesla has an enormous advantage in terms of the software updates. Any other manufacturer would have to go through a very costly recall process. For Tesla this fix probably involved commenting out one line of code.

Reactions: P85DEE and hostman
Hi everyone,

Based on your input, we have decided to remove all software performance reductions tied to frequent max power usage. These changes will roll out with our next software update (in about three weeks).

We had put these reductions in place to proactively protect the powertrain from wear and tear. Instead, we will monitor the condition of the powertrain and let our customers know if service is needed so that we can take proactive steps, such as by replacing parts if necessary, to maintain the vehicle’s performance.

--Jon
Thank you Tesla. Thank you for listening. Thank you Tesla for doing the right thing. You have won back a lot your most loyal customers.

Reactions: hostman
This is great news and restores my faith! I'm a new P100DL owner and was very disappointed when I heard the news of power restrictions. I'm still disappointed it was put in place in the first place but feel much better that tesla took the appropriate steps to remove the performance reducing software. I would not have purchased a new P vehicle when my lease was up if they did not remove the software. Thank you Tesla and TMC for giving us a voice!

I hope nobody minds me keeping my original post on TM current with direct owner/Tesla quotes. If anyone does, please let me know and I will delete any links. It's just super easy to edit the OP and keep all links in one place.

Hi, @lolachampcar,

Still back chewing on page 106 / post 2118 (yours) and working forward...

I very much appreciate your attempt to aggregate information in one place. Would you be open to adding a link in your .sig or to your posts so that it's always easy to pull up the summary you are building on the ™ forum?

One frustration I have with these long threads is that it's very hard to centralize known FACTS amidst the large noise-to-signal ratio. I wish TMC had a feature so that the thread owner could pin a post to the top of each page in the thread, and keep that post updated.

Thanks,
Alan

Thanks Jon, great news.
I'd also like to thank @Ingineer and @wk057 for their analysis, @Tech_Guy , @AnonNJ and some others for sharing valuable information, and @lolachampcar for his dedication and help in this thread.

Fred, maybe you can update your article now?
Good point! Thank you all! If you are ever in the same bar that I am, you will not be paying for anything !

Last edited:
Because traditional car dealers will line up around the block to f*ck you up the ass every day of the week on issues 100x more trivial than this.
This is a family forum. Please stop being "creative" to try to avoid language filters. It seems at least every other post of yours has offensive content that is completely unnecessary in making your point, and in fact points to the weakness of your argument.

Last edited:
Thanks for listening and taking your customers' concerns into account. I'm sure it's not an easy task to get policy changed.

Too bad you weren't around here during the P85D 691 HP issue times. Of course, it's never too late... :)

There's nothing more heartwarming than a back handed slap after all is said and done. Such graciousness.

Remind us all please, @Krugerrand, what model Tesla you drive. Oh--wait--you don't actually own a Tesla, and you never have. You just own Tesla stock, and love nothing more but to attack, often without reason, anyone who ever dares to say anything in the least bit negative about the company you have invested in.

In the post of mine that you tried to make something negative out of, I thanked @JonMc sincerely for what he accomplished, noting that it must have been difficult. I went on to say that it was too bad he wasn't around for the 691 HP fiasco (I said "issue" then, but since I'm not addressing Mr. McNeill now, I'll refer to it in the less polite, but more correct term), as I honestly believe that if he had been, the outcome may have been different. I added the part about it not being too late because there are still many of us who feel outraged at how Tesla handled that issue. OUTRAGED!

People in Norway sued, and Tesla settled over this issue. I'm still expecting a class-action to take place here, in the US. It would be a lot better for Tesla if they had gotten out in front of this issue too, instead of sweeping it under the rug. So far they haven't, and I think at this point it is unlikely that they will.

And even if no suit materializes, Tesla has, through their lack of addressing the issue, caused many people to feel much less warmly towards Tesla. Perhaps that is not yet reflected in your precious stock price, but it will be eventually.

I will state again that I am impressed by what Tesla and @JonMc did here. And I'm deeply disappointed that the 691 HP issue remains such a black mark on Tesla's record.

This is a family forum. Please stop being "creative" to try to avoid language filters. It seems at least every other post of yours has offensive content that is completely unnecessary in making your point, and in fact points to the weakness of your argument.

To quote a forum old timer, some advice for @ZeroDarkSilver :

Never ever drink and post. Ever.

Well put and my thoughts exactly.

I did change my driving style as a result of the new awareness of accelerated fatigue due to high power usage events. Which seems obvious in hindsight.

Never drove around in sport mode before, but trying it out now. Still damn fast.
Just a point - it is not "obvious in hindsight." This is very much an under-engineering error. Or rather, they engineered it for 1300A (insane mode) and when they realized they could go higher they missed some verification steps.

Reactions: davidc18 and Walta
Yes, Tesla deserves credit. But, bear in mind that Tesla has an enormous advantage in terms of the software updates. Any other manufacturer would have to go through a very costly recall process. For Tesla this fix probably involved commenting out one line of code.
Of course, those other manufacturers also would not have been able to inject that line of code in the first place without a TSB.

Reactions: Andyw2100
Good point! Thank you all! If you are ever in the same bar that I am, you will not be paying for anything !
@Walta I extend the same offer, as I'm sure others here would too!

In my case I would personally include a specific extension of the offer to @Andyw2100, who I feel has been consistent in looking out for us as owners, ever since he took responsibility for putting together the first "crowd sourced email to the Board" way back when.

Hi everyone,

Based on your input, we have decided to remove all software performance reductions tied to frequent max power usage. These changes will roll out with our next software update (in about three weeks).

We had put these reductions in place to proactively protect the powertrain from wear and tear. Instead, we will monitor the condition of the powertrain and let our customers know if service is needed so that we can take proactive steps, such as by replacing parts if necessary, to maintain the vehicle’s performance.

--Jon
Thank you

Just a point - it is not "obvious in hindsight." This is very much an under-engineering error. Or rather, they engineered it for 1300A (insane mode) and when they realized they could go higher they missed some verification steps.

It wouldn't occur to me to think that harder use wouldn't wear components more. It most definitely is obvious.

But still not knowing what level of use they thought justified mitigation measures we still do not know where they struck the design trade-off between performance and longevity.

If you feel wronged, it shouldn't be because they under engineered your car. Maybe they did, maybe not. It shouldn't be because they took a over- cautious approach on decreasing wear. Maybe they did, maybe not. We don't know.

But you could feel wronged, as I do, because they didn't disclose to you, or any of us, the apparent extra wear and effect on longevity caused by LM or other possible uses. And they still haven't. But the fact of some wear based extraordinary use shldnt be a surprise. We just dont know how relevant it is to each of our driving styles and uses.

@bhzmark, I agree with your sentiment. The only thing I would disagree on is "based on extraordinary use". Especially the lack of clarity around what is extraordinary use.

When Tesla themselves made a big deal about how easy the car was to launch, and majored on this particular difference between ICE's and EV's, it was not completely obvious to prospective clients that launching was particularly "extraordinary".

Anyway this is all moot. Tesla have stepped up to the plate, are going to deal with this through warranty, and we can move on.

Jon, wow this is great news! I know there were many people, including myself, silently watching this thread closely. Even though I am a huge Tesla fan, I was somewhat disheartened on discovering the limitations Tesla placed on Performance models. Great to hear from you and receive a positive outcome.

Also a big thanks to the members that have participated in this thread and helped bring this issue to Tesla's attention.

This.

This was what was at stake here. The silent voices feeling anxiety and disappointment, I'm sure there were several of them (and would have been tons if the word had spread before solution). These things were mounting and this would just have been too much for too many.

I'm happy we got a good resolution.

Maybe we can wish for a miracle and a 691 hp solution to @Andyw2100 & co. now too. :)