Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone -- The software update that removes software performance reductions tied to frequent max battery power usage is being deployed now. With this update, maximum power output will be achievable anytime both Launch Mode and Max Battery Power Mode are engaged.

Thanks for the info. Previously Launch Mode did not seem to increase power output under similar conditions without it, nor did it result in faster acceleration compared to just stomping on pedal. Has this changed with this update? Or were some of us just not measuring the difference that has been there?

Also can you please please share some information that will be useful to us to make decisions about how often and when to engage: Ludi, Max Power, Launch Mode, and for the lucky ones, the P100DL+ easter egg?

That all these levels of power/functionality can be turned off and on so easily is the great magic of Tesla, for which we thank you and the Tesla team, but it would be helpful to know what tradeoffs we are making when we use those features. Thanks in advance for any further helpful info.

Last edited:
My experience at the dragstrip showed that launch mode in my P85DL did not reduce elapsed times but made it much more difficult to get a good reaction time. A week ago I lucked out and got a .000 reaction time for which I received a nice decal and a pin with the description "Trip-Zip Perfect Light" and a drawing of the starting lights (tree) with a .000 at the bottom.

I second the request for a 100kw battery upgrade.

Hi Everyone -- The software update that removes software performance reductions tied to frequent max battery power usage is being deployed now. With this update, maximum power output will be achievable anytime both Launch Mode and Max Battery Power Mode are engaged.

@JonMc - does this update apply to my Model S P100D (late Dec'16 delivery), or only to P90D / P85D models? I haven't received any software update notice and current software version is 17.5.28. Thanks.

@JonMc - does this update apply to my Model S P100D (late Dec'16 delivery), or only to P90D / P85D models? I haven't received any software update notice and current software version is 17.5.28. Thanks.
This definitely applies to P100D as well @fiksegts aka dragtimes on YouTube posted a video this week after he got the update on his P100D...

The meager data suggests that the limit seemed to be triggered by extreme outlier use cases, and the limit seemed to be a reasonable engineering trade-off. You seemed to come to different opinions: namely that the software limits were a moral wrong against every buyer of PxxDs (whether it did or could or was even likely to affect them or not) and buyers should be outraged, and Tesla was a lesser company and untrust worthy because of it. I was merely pointing out that the data doesn't support your position but if you were eager to support those opinions -- you need more data.

It seems that your jihad to criticize Tesla and conclude that they did something morally outrageous with the software limits forces you to have blind spots to the reasonable conclusions to be drawn (or at least reasonably entertained) from the incomplete, but still useful, data points that we do have.

Separately, (a different point!) I suggested that if you yearn to be outraged against Tesla for something, pick a better issue. Namely the issue re disclosure about what is really going on with our cars -- what sort of use causes what sorts of risk of failure or wear etc. That would be a better topic to agitate for. And that would be helpful to us to know how to best drive our cars to strike best balance between performance and risk of excessive wear.

I suppose you can continue to carry out your jihad against Tesla engineers trying to balance giving us both kick ass acceleration and experiment with software and maintenance trade-offs to help us not break our cars for those who operate in outlier use cases. I'm just trying understand and consider things from their perspective.
I continue to be fascinated by your unwillingness to look at the facts in front of you, apply good engineering and marketing practices, take into account information from experts on Lithium battery packs, and make a reasonable conclusion. The rest of us are fairly satisfied with our analysis. I guess you'll catch up eventually.

The meager data suggests that the limit seemed to be triggered by extreme outlier use cases, and the limit seemed to be a reasonable engineering trade-off. You seemed to come to different opinions: namely that the software limits were a moral wrong against every buyer of PxxDs (whether it did or could or was even likely to affect them or not) and buyers should be outraged, and Tesla was a lesser company and untrust worthy because of it. I was merely pointing out that the data doesn't support your position but if you were eager to support those opinions -- you need more data.

It seems that your jihad to criticize Tesla and conclude that they did something morally outrageous with the software limits forces you to have blind spots to the reasonable conclusions to be drawn (or at least reasonably entertained) from the incomplete, but still useful, data points that we do have.

Separately, (a different point!) I suggested that if you yearn to be outraged against Tesla for something, pick a better issue. Namely the issue re disclosure about what is really going on with our cars -- what sort of use causes what sorts of risk of failure or wear etc. That would be a better topic to agitate for. And that would be helpful to us to know how to best drive our cars to strike best balance between performance and risk of excessive wear.

I suppose you can continue to carry out your jihad against Tesla engineers trying to balance giving us both kick ass acceleration and experiment with software and maintenance trade-offs to help us not break our cars for those who operate in outlier use cases. I'm just trying understand and consider things from their perspective.

Dude, you are cracking me up.

I continue to be fascinated by your unwillingness to look at the facts in front of you, apply good engineering and marketing practices, take into account information from experts on Lithium battery packs, and make a reasonable conclusion. The rest of us are fairly satisfied with our analysis. I guess you'll catch up eventually.

No, Im not ready to join the club that insists that a use-based and software-implemented engineering trade off, that current evidence shows only affects extreme outlier usage, is a moral outrage and Tesla is thus untrustworthy as a company.

And certainly nothing in posts that contain only insults rather than intelligent discussion will change that.

But I am always open to and invite others to instead share facts and intelligent analysis of how evidence and facts support their opinion.

If there was some evidence about lithium battery design from an expert that shows that Tesla is a horrible untrustworthy company because of this episode I'm afraid I missed that post.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: hostman and EinSV
No, Im not ready to join the club that insists that a use-based and software-implemented engineering trade off, that current evidence shows only affects extreme outlier usage, is a moral outrage and Tesla is thus untrustworthy as a company.

And certainly nothing in posts that contain only insults rather than intelligent discussion will change that.

But I am always open to and invite others to instead share facts and intelligent analysis of how evidence and facts support their opinion.

If there was some evidence about lithium battery design from an expert that shows that Tesla is a horrible untrustworthy company because of this episode I'm afraid I missed that post.
You are objecting to a post that you feel insulted you? That's like the pot calling the kettle black.
As to your assertion of the "limited" number of use cases or people affected by it...you continue to believe that Tesla would develop and distribute a firmware package to every "P" 85DL and 90DL even though few people (in your estimation) are potentially or actually impacted and then go online and post about it. That isn't logical nor does it make any sense.

If you can send me a copy of the data, I can do an analysis.
Tricky to do any analysis using TM-Spy, so I make take you up on parsing the raw CAN data.

Ended up doing about 6 runs on 2.52.22, all of them seemed fairly consistent around 490kW.

Screenshot_20170218-135440.png Screenshot_20170218-135737.png

Have the 17.6.15 update installed now and will charge back up this afternoon to do the after captures.

Tricky to do any analysis using TM-Spy, so I make take you up on parsing the raw CAN data.

Ended up doing about 6 runs on 2.52.22, all of them seemed fairly consistent around 490kW.

View attachment 215352 View attachment 215353

Have the 17.6.15 update installed now and will charge back up this afternoon to do the after captures.
Looking at the logs you are definitely not limited... you car is pulling 1600amps from the battery in the 2nd screenshot! When I hit the first limit my cars power was reduced to 1500 amps.

Last edited:

View attachment 215352 View attachment 215353

Skysurfer,

Could you please advise if you have a P85D, P90D, or a P100D? Also, what is your battery version?

I ask as I am getting nothing more than 447 kW on my P90D w/Lud, despite the revision/deletion of the counters via the software update of a few nights ago. Still doesn't perform as well as the MotorTrend or Car and Driver 2015 P90D test cars . . . .

So frustrated and only mildly contemplating the purchase of an inventory P100D, BUT am unsure if they too have various battery versions. (Net result: Rewarding Tesla for screwing me over as the owner of an early P90DL. Am I the only one that sees the insanity of this thought process?!?)

Don't want to be burned by Tesla again. Does anyone know how many version of the 100 kWh battery there are?

Thanks!

Skysurfer,

Could you please advise if you have a P85D, P90D, or a P100D? Also, what is your battery version?

I ask as I am getting nothing more than 447 kW on my P90D w/Lud, despite the revision/deletion of the counters via the software update of a few nights ago. Still doesn't perform as well as the MotorTrend or Car and Driver 2015 P90D test cars . . . .

So frustrated and only mildly contemplating the purchase of an inventory P100D, BUT am unsure if they too have various battery versions. (Net result: Rewarding Tesla for screwing me over as the owner of an early P90DL. Am I the only one that sees the insanity of this thought process?!?)

Don't want to be burned by Tesla again. Does anyone know how many version of the 100 kWh battery there are?

Thanks!

Id say its a P90D Ludicrous with the v2 or v3 battery especially as its pulling 1600amps, your numbers match up with a v1 P90D Ludicrous battery that pulls 1500 amps...

heres a helpfull post from another thread...

Here's the latest graphs including the new Ludicrous Plus:

TeslaPwrLudPlus.jpg

Last edited: