Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
indeed they are holding it back.... any other Tesla that traps 108 runs well into the 12's... the car just slugs off the initial hit.... vbox G shows a consistent pull, no initial G spike and drop off line every other Tesla I've tested...
So the vbox confirms what I said, and contradicts your observations. It has a consistent pull. Your comment was that it felt like it was soft at first and then came on stronger later.

The difference with this car is that it doesn't have any excess torque to deliver at the beginning. The other cars can spin the rear wheels, so during initial acceleration as the load shifts to the rear wheels they can apply more torque to the rear wheels before they break loose. With the small motors they are giving everything they've got and can't spin the wheels, so they can't take advantage of the load shift to the rear.

it comes of slow but still traps 108 MPH, look at 1/4 mile times with 108 MPH traps for the 85D/90D S and their power outputs.. no doubt it "could" do better.... this has nothing to do with breaking traction or shifting weight, just bringing in the power earlier...

So the vbox confirms what I said, and contradicts your observations. It has a consistent pull. Your comment was that it felt like it was soft at first and then came on stronger later.

The difference with this car is that it doesn't have any excess torque to deliver at the beginning. The other cars can spin the rear wheels, so during initial acceleration as the load shifts to the rear wheels they can apply more torque to the rear wheels before they break loose. With the small motors they are giving everything they've got and can't spin the wheels, so they can't take advantage of the load shift to the rear.

it comes of slow but still traps 108 MPH, look at 1/4 mile times with 108 MPH traps for the 85D/90D S and their power outputs.. no doubt it "could" do better.... this has nothing to do with breaking traction or shifting weight, just bringing in the power earlier...
It can't come in any quicker. It's giving max torque from the very beginning up to the max power point.

It has everything to do with shifting weight to the rear wheels. With the P cars we can't use the max torque from the motor because we're limited by traction. When the weight shifts to the rear more of the available torque can be used. With the non-P car we can always use the max torque the motors can provide.

The faster your speed comes up the lower the trap speed for a given et.

Last edited:
Soooooooo .... new development today...

IMG_1990.JPG

You'll recall I'm still on a loaner battery, too.

I finally get it.

Tesla owns the car, the data and their questionable engineering decisions while the car is under warranty (I have just paid for the experience).

Nothing I can do about any of it (performance limiting updates, loss of previously useful features etc) so I am just going to drive the car to enjoy it to the maximum extent possible.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger