Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Paddleboard Rack on MX: One solution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi folks, I'm new to this forum. 2 mos and 3k miles with my MX 100D. Drove me crazy that I could not mount paddleboards. I saw a post on YouTube with cross country skis using Seasucker suction mounts. Paddleboards are wider than half of the width of the roof. Standard use of a seasucker paddleboard rack would render both sets of FW doors inoperable. So I decided to cantilever a Thule load bar on top of the seasucker rack, allowing it to be positioned further from the center of the vehicle, barely overhanging the outer side of the car. One suction mount is in front of the FW doors, on the windshield, the other is on the hatch glass. Paddleboard rack is mounted to the load bar.
Of course the passenger side FW door cannot be opened with the boards up there, but when positioned properly, paddleboard does not cross the midline and allows use of the opposite FW door. The sensors don't like anything up there, so you need to override the operation of the opposite FW door by manually holding the button (on the B pillar) until it beeps and the door opens or closes. To be safe I also turn on the child locks so nobody accidentally opens the door. I have a trailer hitch, so no need for me to carry bikes with this, but certainly can be set up. I did try and successfully mounted a ski rack on the back hatch using these same suction mounts and the Thule load bars, with a ski mount upon this (happy to post this photo). Ski mount on top of car not as practical unless you have very long skis, due to the distance between the windshield and the back hatch. I can provide details of the specific products if anyone is actually interested. I also have an unedited video of the 4 minutes it requires to mount the rack
on the car and the board on the rack. Also willing to post this if anyone is interested.
Disclosure:no financial interest from seasucker, Thule, tesla, etc. I just thought it would be useful.

Attachments

• IMG_9014.JPG
    IMG_9014.JPG
    478.8 KB · Views: 791
  • IMG_9015.JPG
    IMG_9015.JPG
    371.4 KB · Views: 627
Thank you for posting this, I have a Model X on order and my wife keeps saying, what about paddle-boards and roof boxes? We use the same Thule SUP taxi on our X5 and love it, done a bunch of long trips no issues. I was going to use the TreeFrog version of the suction roof rack due to the arrow bars. What your picture shows is I can do the same with the roof box (have it hang off the side slightly), though I worry about wind force. We have a Thule Vector which is wider than the other Model X I saw using a super narrow roof box. Crazy all the work arounds we have to do to use the X like a normal SUV.