Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paid a visit to Costa Mesa Store and test drove Performance M3!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Just wanted to share my experience today test driving Model 3 Performance compared to my LR Model 3. Today was the 1st day driving heavily, drove 9500 miles so far since May, and felt the car loose on the road like I was going to spin any moment. Had anyone had that experience?

Having said that, I didn't feel that on the M3P, not even starting from zero and flooring it. How much % is it because of tire vs AWD system or lowered body?

Honestly I always loved 4 wheels drive, it gives more confidence on the curves, specially when car is lowered down. Considering placing order today.

Anyone interested in a Tesla Model 3 LR EAP, 9500 miles, Deep Blue, 18" in Los Angeles area? I just installed Suntek Ceramic Tint all around the car, windshield etc.. changed lights for brighter one, center console has carbon fiber decal and emblems in red :) ; also wind noise reducing rubber thing from RPMtesla.

Send me message with offer, will decide in 1-2 weeks.

Cheers and drive safely folks, M3 is a snake that can bite haha

[...] Today was the 1st day driving heavily, drove 9500 miles so far since May, and felt the car loose on the road like I was going to spin any moment. Had anyone had that experience?

[...]

Honestly I always loved 4 wheels drive, it gives more confidence on the curves, specially when car is lowered down. Considering placing order today.

[...]

I don't want to discourage you from upgrading (as financially unwise as that might be), but I do feel it's important to mention that from a perspective of cornering performance AWD is usually not better than RWD.

A car in any configuration (AWD, FWD, RWD, no-wheel-drive) will slide when you exceed the limits of the tire. Assuming you have the same tires on the cars, the limits of AWD, FWD and RWD will be (roughly) the same.

The main difference between the variants in a corner is how they get to the limit.

RWD has the beautiful feature that you get throttle-induced oversteer as an additional way to balance the car. This technique involves applying enough throttle to make the tires work hard without actually going into a power slide.

AWD generally doesn't give you that option - Tesla's track mode appears to attempt to provide some of this, but since there's no driver-adjustable settings, I'm skeptical as to how universally usable this is (it'll work for people who have the driving style Tesla tuned the system for, but not for drivers who have different approaches, IMO).

Where AWD shines is accelerating out of a turn, especially in marginal traction situations - but the inherently added weight of AWD system is always a handicap from a perspective of handling.

The feeling you had was likely your overdriving the conditions vs. an inherent problem with the RWD configuration (first rain of the season means very slippery roads, too).

I don't want to discourage you from upgrading (as financially unwise as that might be), but I do feel it's important to mention that from a perspective of cornering performance AWD is usually not better than RWD.

A car in any configuration (AWD, FWD, RWD, no-wheel-drive) will slide when you exceed the limits of the tire. Assuming you have the same tires on the cars, the limits of AWD, FWD and RWD will be (roughly) the same.

The main difference between the variants in a corner is how they get to the limit.

RWD has the beautiful feature that you get throttle-induced oversteer as an additional way to balance the car. This technique involves applying enough throttle to make the tires work hard without actually going into a power slide.

AWD generally doesn't give you that option - Tesla's track mode appears to attempt to provide some of this, but since there's no driver-adjustable settings, I'm skeptical as to how universally usable this is (it'll work for people who have the driving style Tesla tuned the system for, but not for drivers who have different approaches, IMO).

Where AWD shines is accelerating out of a turn, especially in marginal traction situations - but the inherently added weight of AWD system is always a handicap from a perspective of handling.

The feeling you had was likely your overdriving the conditions vs. an inherent problem with the RWD configuration (first rain of the season means very slippery roads, too).

Very very informative and appreciate you taking time to provide valuable information. I guess I will postpone decision for last minute.. What about on a straight line 0-60, why RWD seems like skidding, like the electronics were correcting all the time to not lose control? My tires are 18" original.. And I tried today 5 times 0-60 acceleration on the Performance, it wen't like rocket straight, no feeling that the car would skid or electronics controlling acceleration... if you know what I mean...

My math is, M3 is already safest car ever, I don't mind struggling a little bit for some years to have the peace of mind and safety an extra traction, bigger wheels, better brakes, lower body can provide... I feel you about driver skills playing a role here, but if going slow is the safest route, I'd have gotten the 1st Prius Plug in when it came out :)

Appreciate your 2 pennies here. Cheers!

There is a selling section on another part of the forums. The other thing you can do is sell it through Vroom etc.

The lowered body is almost imperceptible, its more likely the tires and the AWD on the performance model. Summer performance tires are suppose to do well in rain still.

Yea, I might went faster on the 360 curve merging into the freeway.. probably +50pmh... on the rain was a dumb idea, glad I was able to steer back, 405 was full of slow cars... As Lowe body, when I had a Civic back then 2007 and I changed to a lowered Impreza Hatch, I felt a lot of difference AWD and lower body... it's close to driving a kart lol ... that might play on my misconception...

"or example, Tesla designed its own vehicle dynamic control system (VDC) for this trim level. It provides the voodoo that pipes power to the motors and wheels, depending on driving dynamics."

got this article from Business Insiders, that might be it, in house VDC, wondering what's the traction control on the regular M3....

"or example, Tesla designed its own vehicle dynamic control system (VDC) for this trim level. It provides the voodoo that pipes power to the motors and wheels, depending on driving dynamics."

got this article from Business Insiders, that might be it, in house VDC, wondering what's the traction control on the regular M3....

Immediately stopped reading when I saw "got this article from Business Insiders"
upload_2018-11-30_3-47-40.png

Last edited:
If you drive agressively and at 9500 miles how is your tire condition being originals? Wear and pressure (outside temp and cold tires)?

It's bit low I guess... 41 when already warm... didn't check cold though. Tire is fine and like new, I guess 6/7 condition.. I mean I had BMW i3 the tires are like motorcycle and lasted 13k miles... Not aggressively all the time, I like cruising too on AP :)

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
There is a selling section on another part of the forums. The other thing you can do is sell it through Vroom etc.

The lowered body is almost imperceptible, its more likely the tires and the AWD on the performance model. Summer performance tires are suppose to do well in rain still.

Vroom quoted me $3200 more... appreciate it man, I see you're in Diamond Bar, I am in Chino Hills!

I appreciate your dilemma. It's a significant purchase and you are clearly taking the time to decide the best decision for you. As much as our forum opinions may be helpful, in the end you have to decide what's best for you.

For what it's worth I'm in the RWD camp. I've owned lots of cars and for me I prefer the driving feel of RWD. That being said if you prefer AWD go for it. I'd also note that any car is sensitive to tire pressure, and since Tesla's run at relatively high tire pressures, you may want to check yours before making any decisions. If the pressure is low it can and will affect handling. The owners manual shows correct tire pressure, which is typically around 42 psi. In cold weather it's very common for the tire pressure to fall - it you've not checked it lately that could be the reason your car seems to handle differently.

Another thing to consider, and the route I took, is to upgrade the wheels/tires to 19". Yes, I know that there are ardent fans of various tire sizes, but Edmunds did an impartial test of the 18 vs 19 inch tires on the M3 and came away VERY impressed with the 19s. The video link is here:

Good luck regardless of your decision - it's a great car.

Reactions: Dan_LA
Hey guys,

Just wanted to share my experience today test driving Model 3 Performance compared to my LR Model 3. Today was the 1st day driving heavily, drove 9500 miles so far since May, and felt the car loose on the road like I was going to spin any moment. Had anyone had that experience?

Something is very wrong with the car or your expectations.
There was a thread with a lot of RWD owners that traded "up" to AWD and miss the RWD handling.

• Informative
very common for the tire pressure to fall - it you've not checked it lately that could be the reason your car seems to handle differently.

Another thing to consider, and the route I took, is to upgrade the wheels/tires to 19". Yes, I know that there are ardent fans of various tire sizes, but Edmunds did an impartial test of the 18 vs 19 inch tires on the M3 and came away VERY impressed with the 19s. The video link is here:

I switched from the stock 18" to the 19" tires and thought the ride was a little firmer and noisier. Interesting that the Edmunds reviewer didn't point that out if he experienced the difference.

• Informative
CeekZ - I drove the 18 and 19 inch versions and I agree with the Edmonds report. I set tire pressure to 39 pounds, found the ride to be at least comparable to the 18 inch wheels with more control and sportiness. My ICE is a BMW 335d - I prefer the sportier feel, even if it means a bit more noise. I was surprised that the noise difference was minimal. The control and sportiness was, for me, noticeable.

Vroom quoted me $3200 more... appreciate it man, I see you're in Diamond Bar, I am in Chino Hills!

LoL, your welcome. I still joined the Tesla OC Owners club though lol, more active than the Inlalnd valley.

I switched from the stock 18" to the 19" tires and thought the ride was a little firmer and noisier. Interesting that the Edmunds reviewer didn't point that out if he experienced the difference.

Was your 19" the stock Tesla tires? (Continental Procontact with Acoustic Tech?)

The tire model and oem/non OEM makes a bigger difference than most people think. Its not simply wheel size. All Tesla tires were designed specifically for Tesla.

I appreciate your dilemma. It's a significant purchase and you are clearly taking the time to decide the best decision for you. As much as our forum opinions may be helpful, in the end you have to decide what's best for you.

For what it's worth I'm in the RWD camp. I've owned lots of cars and for me I prefer the driving feel of RWD. That being said if you prefer AWD go for it. I'd also note that any car is sensitive to tire pressure, and since Tesla's run at relatively high tire pressures, you may want to check yours before making any decisions. If the pressure is low it can and will affect handling. The owners manual shows correct tire pressure, which is typically around 42 psi. In cold weather it's very common for the tire pressure to fall - it you've not checked it lately that could be the reason your car seems to handle differently.

Yep I'm very used to AWD, 1st time was a Subaru Impreza (non-WRX, if you ask ahha) then Audi A6, love the feel of sticking to the road (not drifter fan here). Yes I was aware of tire pressure, but was 41 4 wheels... when I got the car 1st time and the 3 times I went back to service, they always fill 44 psi... not sure why.

Yea 18" wheels no bueno for me... even when dry road.. I don't feel the confidence to go over 70mph in a S curvy road, whereas with Audi A6 I was ok with 80mph.

Yep love the car, hence I am upgrading it even after 6 months only.. just feel that we should be all start to advocate for EV cars, regardless of all coal energy discussion, at least is 80% cleaner.

Something is very wrong with the car or your expectations.
There was a thread with a lot of RWD owners that traded "up" to AWD and miss the RWD handling.

Guess is too late now, well I will have both cars for 5 days... so will check on that. Yea I have some concerns over in House traction system on the Performance model, not sure if is always on or only on track mode, when I test drove it on the rainy day they had in Track mode for me... super sticky, 0-60 no issues at all like off balance and we are talking 3 seconds car here... whereas my car would looks like is correcting electronically all the time and you would feel it almost losing grip.

CeekZ - I drove the 18 and 19 inch versions and I agree with the Edmonds report. I set tire pressure to 39 pounds, found the ride to be at least comparable to the 18 inch wheels with more control and sportiness. My ICE is a BMW 335d - I prefer the sportier feel, even if it means a bit more noise. I was surprised that the noise difference was minimal. The control and sportiness was, for me, noticeable.

yea wheels plays big role I think.. just wondering now if a lighter wheel also plays :) a racer told me it does a lot.. because of centripetal and vector forces... couldn't understand but that brought me back to high school physics classes haha.