Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paid for FSD but Tesla refuses to acknowledge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

I both have a question and am looking to share my story. In short, I purchased a used Model X from Tesla.com that included Full Self Driving and my service center is now telling me that I do not own FSD and will need to purchase it.

My car currently functions with all FSD options. Short of receiving periodic emails to pay for the FSD upgrade and my app telling me to upgrade to FSD everything is fine. Where my issue comes in is my interest in upgrading the autopilot in my car and/or the MCU upgrade. I inquired with my service center about the autopilot 3.0 upgrade and this is when they informed me I did not have FSD and therefore was not eligible.

Part of the appeal of FSD is that you are paying for the promise of features that are soon to come. As far as Tesla is concerned though I do not have FSD and will not be receiving any upgrades or updates until I pay for it. I can however prove on my car's bill of sale one of the line items listed on the invoice is "Full Self Drive" and they valued it at $7,000. (even on a used car). My concern is that I will never be able to upgrade my MSU and/or will never be allowed to upgrade my autopilot hardware because Tesla does not acknowledge that I have in fact paid for a car with FSD.

I have contacted my service center as well as have reached out to the used sales rep who helped me accept delivery of the car. Both of them say I will need to purchase FSD. I am just beside myself here. I am wondering if anyone else has had the same experience? Or does anyone have a contact at Tesla with a little more authority to help me?

Thank you!

Do you have the purchase agreement?
Indeed I do! Attached is a screenshot (with personal information cropped)
upload_2020-6-24_20-49-29.png

Yes, well, did you take that too them?
Where do I take it? I mean I could take it to the service center here in CT but it is the same information I relayed to them over the phone. I guess I could get face to face with someone then. I feel like these are "low level" employees and my issue is more of an administration/ back-end issue.
Edited because it looks like he did but it used from Tesla.

This is interesting
Yes, purchased used through Tesla.com
If you purchased it from Tesla.com - go into your portal and look for MVPA. It will say it there.
I have the MVPA from on Tesla.com. I looked at it just now and it only discusses the vin, odometer, sale price, taxes, etc. It does not include features at the time of purchase. Only the Motor Vehicle Order Agreement lists that information.
upload_2020-6-24_21-6-31.png

Indeed I do! Attached is a screenshot (with personal information cropped)
View attachment 555987

Can you send us a copy without the prices cropped off?

You can go to manage your car on the Tesla website and go to glove box. You sales documents are there. You can also go to details and it will tell you if you have full self driving but... Mine says I have it and I don't lol so that's not reliable.

I think you have it. I just asked a Tesla chat person for a used model X and he said if it lists full self driving capability it's included in the price for the used cars.

No reason to bother the service center unless they take it away from you anyway.

His order agreement is different than mine. Mine says "included" or a price on things. His is all blank.

Also he has no document and destination fee. I wonder if they can waive that charge... Hmmm

If you buy a used Tesla from Tesla this is what it looks like. Here is mine from my old S. No “included” or prices like when you buy new. And no destination fee.

0C392BE2-3DE6-475C-9223-CE442BE9E53A.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Wait a min you said you have the features of full self driving... Why are you asking if you have it then and going to the service center?
The car itself drives with FSD capabilities. The issue is I can not upgrade to AP3.0 or MCU2.0 as Tesla is not aware of my car having FSD. Tesla admits FSD is in development and part of the cost of FSD is for future developments that they promise will be deployed to users. I simply will never receive these updates. There are already plenty of AP3.0 features that my 2017 AP2.0 car lacks. I am told FSD AP2.0 users are owed this update but they are spreading out the deployment.

I have another document from the time of purchase that I saved on my work laptop that I can post here tomorrow. It is essentially the same as the MVOA but it has prices associated with the features.

The car itself drives with FSD capabilities. The issue is I can not upgrade to AP3.0 or MCU2.0 as Tesla is not aware of my car having FSD. Tesla admits FSD is in development and part of the cost of FSD is for future developments that they promise will be deployed to users. I simply will never receive these updates. There are already plenty of AP3.0 features that my 2017 AP2.0 car lacks. I am told FSD AP2.0 users are owed this update but they are spreading out the deployment.

I have another document from the time of purchase that I saved on my work laptop that I can post here tomorrow. It is essentially the same as the MVOA but it has prices associated with the features.

There is a similar thread here for the same issue, and that person was told by Tesla to contact their delivery/sales person to fix the issue. You can probably contact the sales department where you took delivery if you can’t contact your original delivery person. The issue seems to be that Service can’t fix the issue, it has to be done somewhere else in Tesla’s system.

Tesla App eligible upgrades says FSD...but I have that...I think?

Reactions: studioloft

Since I see all the documents that you do legally have FSD, so you should get the latest FSD functions.

Currently, the FSD functions include:

Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control: Car stops at every green or red light and stop sign unless you press the accelerator. With the latest software, if there's a lead car in front with a green light, you no longer have to press the accelerator to cross the green light.

If you can't do it, Tesla owes that function and make that whole to you.

To clarify, MCU2 is not a free upgrade. It costs an additional $2,500. It's nice because you can see the FSD visualizations and other things (like video and sentry) but you do not have to get MCU2 to enjoy FSD.

You can keep your MCU1 without paying for $2,500 and still enjoy the current function of "Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control" (without FSD visualizations and other things).

In order for you to enjoy your current FSD function of "Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control", you need to get a free upgrade to HW3 because HW2.5 and HW2.0 can't do it.

Since your legal paperwork says FSD, it doesn't matter how Tesla does it with software or hardware, Tesla needs to let you enjoy your current FSD with no additional cost because it was included in the legal paperwork.

As shocking as this is, I have been through the ringer with Tesla on my own used purchase enough to not be surprised. Basically, if you don't have an attorney on retainer to comb through your purchase prior to delivery of your vehicle, there are about a million things that can go wrong and they will not budge on working with you on any of it. For future potential used car buyers - BEWARE. Tesla's used car sales practice is absolutely unforgiving.