Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint color discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
bunte_reihe.jpg

Lotus Elise Color Guide

Last edited:
Color is hard. Trust me. If there isn't a color managed workflow from cradle to grave, then you never know quite what you're seeing. And it's extremely unlikely that joe-random-user ever calibrated their monitor. And jpegs are usually untagged. And web browsers suck at colors, even if the image was tagged. And if it wasn't tagged and it was created on the Mac, it'll view completely different on the PC. And...

So, in general, it's really impossible to trust any color you see on the web. For example, click through the saffron yellow image in the Lotus color guide. Pretty stunning differences among the pictures (yellow is interesting because "yellow" is one of the few hues that most humans actually line up on).

So, unless you've seen the colors in person (and therefore your brain does a little self-calibration when looking at the web images), it can be really hard to tell what the colors really are.

Sucks, but true.

Metallic Colors

Something I've noticed about metallic colors is that their appearance varies a great deal depending on the amount and angle of light hitting them. I saw a good example when I was walking today, as I passed by a couple of parked red vehicles. One was bright solid red (very much like Fusion Red) and the other was a metallic red (much like Radiant Red). You might not realize how dramatically different these are.

With the sun hitting it at the proper angle, the metallic red was breathtaking. It was really beautiful and it emphasized the contours of the vehicle. However. . . As I moved further along and the light angle changed, it became dark and dull looking. On a cloudy day it would probably look dull from every angle. You can see the same effect in photos of the Radiant Red Tesla Roadster. Some of them look fantastic. Other photos. . . not so much. It's all about the lighting.

Two spaces down, there was the bright solid red car. It was eye-catching, it was cheery, and it looked that way from every angle. However, it had much less contrast and depth than the metallic red -- sort of plasticky or toy-like, one might say.

So which choice is best? It depends on the impression you want to make. I'd say if you're looking for a cheery and youthful image, then solid red is outstanding. For a more sophisticated or refined look, metallic is the way to go.

As for myself. . . I've been waffling over color from the beginning, and I'm still tempted to go for Very Orange. :biggrin:

So, unless you've seen the colors in person (and therefore your brain does a little self-calibration when looking at the web images), it can be really hard to tell what the colors really are.

I echo Tony's comments that situational lighting makes a huge difference even in person. Some paint jobs only look good indoors under fluorescent lights at a car show but look terrible outside.

Some colors only look good at dusk and dawn. Some are best on cloudy days, etc.

Also some colors do OK when dirty, and other not.

The implication would seem to be that those on the Roadster waiting list need to pay a visit to a Lotus showroom AND an owners rally to get a clearer idea of the real colours on real cars.

And even then this won't cover every situation.

What a dilema! How you must agonise ;)

The implication would seem to be that those on the Roadster waiting list need to pay a visit to a Lotus showroom AND an owners rally to get a clearer idea of the real colours on real cars.

It's not that bad. They do send buyers the color selection kit (shown way back at the beginning of this thread) with the color "eggs" to examine and compare. So you can take them out in the sun or shade and see how they look in different lighting conditions.

And, at the end of the day, red is going to be red, blue is going to be blue, etc. I doubt whether subtle differences in shade are going to change many minds anyhow.

If people are going to continue to fret about the Roadster being too quiet then I think metallic Very Orange is an excellent choice.

You can't get much louder than that!

What's your choice for the interior colours to go with this exterior? Premium two-tone, rally 1, black/orange, black head restraint?

Last edited:
If people are going to continue to fret about the Roadster being too quiet then I think metallic Very Orange is an excellent choice.

You can't get much louder than that!

Yellow is possibly even brighter. It would "really loom up" as Papa used to say. But orange has an element of aggressiveness that yellow lacks, I think. Also orange is really uncommon, even moreso than bright yellow, so it gets noticed because of that.

I've seen three bright orange sports cars (using the term loosely) around my area. One is a 1970s Corvette Stingray, one was a 1980s Camaro (which I've only seen once), and the other is a new Mustang. All of them were particularly striking and memorable because of the color.

What's your choice for the interior colours to go with this exterior? Premium two-tone, rally 1, black/orange, black head restraint?

That was my first thought. On the other hand, black and saddle ought to look good in just about any color of car. I've still got a while to figure on that, still haven't got my color kit anyhow.

Although I appreciate that it's an extravagance for the early vehicles I do wish that Tesla had gone for a wider selection of interior colours for the EPs and VPs. We've had (AFAIK) beige leather in EP2 and Microfibre on VP11 and the rest have been black.

Wish they'd gone for yellow and black leather on EP5 and stuff like that. (But it would probably have prolonged the use of Elise seats) As far as I can tell from this: http://zobeid.zapto.org/caviar/image/tesla/color-kit.jpg the yellows are a reasonable match.

Assuming you can live with the colour you could have the license plate WASP (or possibly WOLVERINE)

Last edited:
Guys you are all making the assumption that the Lotus paint is used on the Roadsters but my understanding is that is not true. Keep in mind that you are painting a different material. The Roadster is carbon fiber and therefore will require a different paint treatment AFAIK. They may have started with the same pallette (or a subset of it) but the actual composition of the paint is almost certainly different.

For the record, I like subtle and unique so mine will be Signature Green (unless I change my mind again). :)

-Jon

Yeah, Signature Green isn't neccessarily an option for many of us. Congratulations on getting in so early. I already have a green car anyway (note soured grapes).

Subte and unique had me strongly considering Thunder Gray for a while, but I've been on Electric Blue for a long time now. Still have to consider Twilight Blue, but I have a while yet to think about it.

Guys you are all making the assumption that the Lotus paint is used on the Roadsters but my understanding is that is not true. Keep in mind that you are painting a different material. The Roadster is carbon fiber and therefore will require a different paint treatment AFAIK. They may have started with the same pallette (or a subset of it) but the actual composition of the paint is almost certainly different.

I suppose it's reasonable to assume the composition, as you put it, of the paint is different, but from what I've seen, I'm fairly sure the pigment is the same. The colors are just too similar to Elise colors, just with different names.

BBHighway said:
Subte and unique had me strongly considering Thunder Gray for a while, but I've been on Electric Blue for a long time now. Still have to consider Twilight Blue, but I have a while yet to think about it.
I'm not a yet customer, but of the colors that are available, I would choose Twilight Blue (looks like Lotus color Nightfall Blue). I'm glad they recently decided to add it, since the other blues available were too light in my opinion. My preference, however, would have been Magnetic Blue. They wouldn't have even had to change the name. Can you tell I like blue?:wink:

Last edited: