Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More paint choices than same 5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordering a new Tesla there is option for only 5 colors, and has not really changed in years (slight color change)

(Model S/X pricing, 3/Y is -$500)
Pearl White Multi-Coat $0
Solid Black $1,500
Midnight Silver Metallic $1,500
Deep Blue Metallic $1,500
Ultra Red $3,000

Colors I would like to see (not all, 3 from list)
Hornet Yellow
English Racing Green
Purple Funk
Charged Copper
Earth Blue (greenish blue)
Barbie
(let your imagination think of this one)

Recently popular with other brands
Gray Anatomy (okok, Stealth Grey)

Upvote 0
Dont forget accent colors

Screenshot_20230808_080324_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: MontyFloyd
Tesla reduces their production costs by providing a limited number of color choices. Same with interior selections.
They are charging extra for any color except white (on occasion Metallic may be free) while other car makers do not charge for most if not all their colors. At $1000+ for a different color, this at least cover the cost if not making a profit.
Your argument does not hold water.

Now it is now a sea of white Tesla's with a dolphins of metallic in-between.

I would prefer an option for Tesla to do a -$1,500 no paint option so those that want a custom color can just get their car wrapped/painted/whatever. Bring on the kiwi green, grape, '99 Civic SI blue, bronze, or whatever colors. Kinda sick of seeing the same red/blue/black/white.... and especially gray SUVs out here (I'm guilty of this one).

They are charging extra for any color except white (on occasion Metallic may be free) while other car makers do not charge for most if not all their colors. At $1000+ for a different color, this at least cover the cost if not making a profit.
Your argument does not hold water.
Actually his argument does "hold water" for me.
What I understood from the OP's post was that only having to carry 5 colors reduces the overhead and thus overall cost to produce a Tesla.
My understanding is that red paint is more expensive because it uses more coats of paint at the factory and pigments used in red paint isn’t as readily available as other paints..

Actually his argument does "hold water" for me.
What I understood from the OP's post was that only having to carry 5 colors reduces the overhead and thus overall cost to produce a Tesla.
My understanding is that red paint is more expensive because it uses more coats of paint at the factory and pigments used in red paint isn’t as readily available as other paints..
It does not.

Its all about demand, and if someone wants a special color charge more. Someone wants yellow? Charge $3000, or whatever it costs to apply with a little profit. Of course it will may be lower demand.
Compare with other companies that offer 10 different color options.
Then all those who get a new Tesla and first stop is paint shop for different color. The money is there!

Finally the prices changes for paint, from $0 to $2000 over time. Only Red has always been $2000 from my occasional look.