Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint peeling off front bumper

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i just got home from work today and noticed paint peeling off the front bumper where it meets the fender.

I decided to wash the car and found another spot on the rear bumper. Anyone else have this issue?

Picked it up new June 30 and have 4100 miles on it now.

Attachments

• FDC53DB0-C7AC-4F8A-AEB4-D0745805A68F.jpeg
    FDC53DB0-C7AC-4F8A-AEB4-D0745805A68F.jpeg
    473.7 KB · Views: 1,649
  • F26AF7A9-9CF7-4FC9-A1B2-C30D49276A70.jpeg
    F26AF7A9-9CF7-4FC9-A1B2-C30D49276A70.jpeg
    328.8 KB · Views: 819
Are you guys talking about the paint peeling off around the inside edge of the front bumper? I had my car for about a month, just installed xpel on the entire front and noticed paint peeling off as in the picture below. I feel like the only thing keeping the paint in place is the ppf that stops just around the edge. Has anyone else experienced this?
20190920_194132.jpg

Are you guys talking about the paint peeling off around the inside edge of the front bumper? I had my car for about a month, just installed xpel on the entire front and noticed paint peeling off as in the picture below. I feel like the only thing keeping the paint in place is the ppf that stops just around the edge. Has anyone else experienced this?View attachment 457247
No, mine is right where the bumper touches the fender, on the corner. Just like the first picture the OP posted.

But I'd be throwing a fit about that much paint missing from a bumper if I had your car for sure

No, mine is right where the bumper touches the fender, on the corner. Just like the first picture the OP posted.

But I'd be throwing a fit about that much paint missing from a bumper if I had your car for sure

Okay yeah my paint on the bumper edge doesn't seem to be adhering well to the plastic... It flakes and keeps expanding towards the edge also. I'll schedule a service appointment with Tesla because this is ridiculous after less than a month of ownership. I read their warranty and they seem to cover "paint flaking" so fingers crossed they will get it fixed!
20190922_154014.jpg

Reactions: Bill Foster
Just got out of work and saw mine peeling in the front driver side bumper corner as well :(. Not sure how this could happen. The corner is still in tact and no signs of damage. Will put a service call in. Have to get that flapping noise in the same front wheel well looked at also.
E3DE96D8-A2AE-4857-AFDC-6AF44E424408.jpeg

Meanwhile i checked an picture i took during delivery. The ducts where indeed black on the inside. That is interesting. My M3 was returned once to fix a paint issue on the fender and rear bumper. The fender was painted, and apparently the front bumper too, for now reason, while the rear bumper remained untouched. The frunk was accidentally sanded too, but not fixed.
Returning to the SeC soon.

Same for me as of a couple of weeks ago.

My apt is tomorrow and the SC finally wrote. Initial response was that it’s not covered under warranty and they could provide a quote for a new bumper. After a few back a forths the rep said I’d have to notify Tesla within the first 100 miles of cosmetic damage even though I had been clear the paint peeling was only noticeable/happening now (~1.5 years, ~14,000 miles). He then said they could offer a courtesy touch up and I said only if it’s a permanent solution (not a bandaid) that they consider a warranty repair in this situation. He then reinforced it was definitely not a repair and that no one can vouch for anything being permanent. Clearly, since the paint is peeling off my car...

He then said we could discuss more at the apt and sent me the Proforma listing the matter as a “goodwill service, tire pressure check” - really gives you confidence they aren’t trying to pull a fast one...

I asked that his manager be there at my apt and he said his manager was traveling on business and would be back Wednesday. I’m not saying it isn’t true but his track record on honesty with the above noted Proforma isn’t exactly spectacular.

I don’t get why customer service is completely dead these days. I’m not trying to take Tesla to the bank, I just don’t think a 1.5 year old car should have peeling paint. I also don’t want to have to fight with the guy tomorrow for something Tesla should be taking seriously.

Any success stories???

73FB1153-2DA8-4CFC-9CE3-53C4F2F84BBD.jpeg

At least I know Tesla is screwing us all equally on the bumper paint. Look at mine. The paint where my intake vent is light and blotchy. They said it's not warranty because I didn't see it when I accepted the car. Thats not a scratch in the top it's a bug splatter

It was cover by the license plate mostly. We should start a tesla paint defects thread and start posting the link on elon's twitter.

IMG_20200706_093247.jpg