Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Protection, Ceramic, etc

What have you done to your M3?

• PPF

Votes: 68 47.9%
  • Ceramic

Votes: 76 53.5%
  • Tint

Votes: 68 47.9%
  • Other

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • None

Votes: 26 18.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an appointment for PPF next week on my 2018 MS 100D. The installer said his templates leave an opening for the bumper sensors. He didn't give an explanation for that, but I assumed it was because of interference with the sensors.

I've never had tinting done before, but considering it on this car. Any recommendations on tinting???

I wanted to kind of give this a bump. My wife and I are taking delivery of our Model 3 tonight or tomorrow and I am considering both PFF and Ceramic. Hoping anyone who sees this can discuss their reasoning and experience

I wanted to kind of give this a bump. My wife and I are taking delivery of our Model 3 tonight or tomorrow and I am considering both PFF and Ceramic. Hoping anyone who sees this can discuss their reasoning and experience

Any weekday we drive the tesla we're doing 70-80 miles roundtrip, almost entirely highway.

Without PPF the front of the car would look like it'd spent time in a bead blaster before too long.

Also lets me feel slightly less paranoid about little door ding concerns or finding someone leaning against the car

Any weekday we drive the tesla we're doing 70-80 miles roundtrip, almost entirely highway.

Without PPF the front of the car would look like it'd spent time in a bead blaster before too long.

Also lets me feel slightly less paranoid about little door ding concerns or finding someone leaning against the car
Any issues with the sensors on the vehicle? I'm thinking mainly PFF around all the frontal exposed areas and then ceramic all over. At leas that seems to be the suggested route.

No issues with PPF and sensors, don’t get that confused with Vinyl wrapping. Vinyl wrapping is a different material which could have chrome partials to give that color a different look, it can interrupt sensors. Check with the PPF shop when selecting a specific color that could contain a chrome tint to it.

Fred

I just picked up my M3 from the installer today. I had to wait a month to get an appointment and unfortunately it shows with rock chips, but, PPF is worth it for me where I live. I had the whole front end (bumper, hood, A pillars, mirrors) along with the rockers and trunk sill wrapped with Xpel Ultimate. Didn't notice any sensor issues during the 2 hour drive home. I skipped Ceramic for now as I'm not sure if it will be a good value for me or not. I'd highly recommend getting an appointment lined up for PPF as soon as possible to limit the number of rock chips your bumper is likely to take until you get it on.

Reactions: Nine2Five
IMO, If you want to keep your paint as scratch, swirl, and rock chip free as possible, get PPF. If you aren’t that concerned about these things, then you can skip the PPF and save the money. Personally, I want to keep my M3’s paint in as good condition as possible, so I got the full wrap in Xpel Ultimate shortly after I took delivery.

I personally skipped the ceramic coat. I enjoy applying a sealant once every 3 months to seal and protect the PPF. My sealant has ceramic in it but it is not a ceramic coating.

Another way to look at this, PPF is a unique product. Only PPF can protect and self-heal the way PPF does. However, there are products that can provide a similar level of protection as ceramic coatings. They just have to be applied more frequently.

If you want the ultimate in protection and don’t want to bother applying waxes or sealants (and you don’t mind the expense), go for both PPF and a ceramic coating. But if you can only afford one, I say go for as much PPF as you can afford.

• Informative
Reactions: Thp3
Another way to look at this, PPF is a unique product. Only PPF can protect and self-heal the way PPF does. However, there are products that can provide a similar level of protection as ceramic coatings. They just have to be applied more frequently.
If I’m not mistaken, PPF and ceramic coating do not offer a similar level of protection. PPF offers protection over minor road debris and prevents chips, scratches, etc to the paint. Ceramic on the other hand helps to preserve your car finish and makes it easier to wash your car and keep it cleaner longer. It will also help against bird dropping’s, etc.

Paint Protection Film vs Ceramic Coating | What's Best?

If I’m not mistaken, PPF and ceramic coating do not offer a similar level of protection. PPF offers protection over minor road debris and prevents chips, scratches, etc to the paint. Ceramic on the other hand helps to preserve your car finish and makes it easier to wash your car and keep it cleaner longer. It will also help against bird dropping’s, etc.

Paint Protection Film vs Ceramic Coating | What's Best?

Yes, that is correct. PPF protects (and self heals) unlike anything else on the market. The type of protection offered by ceramic coatings is very similar to high quality sealants and waxes. The unique advantage of a ceramic coating is that it can last years instead of just months.

Appreciate all the replies you guys! For your viewing pleasure, here’s our M3

Attachments

• BCCCD418-2772-4EA2-B2F3-086FC96812CE.jpeg
    BCCCD418-2772-4EA2-B2F3-086FC96812CE.jpeg
    578.9 KB · Views: 101
  • E9221CB4-0820-409B-8607-73F3F3876848.jpeg
    E9221CB4-0820-409B-8607-73F3F3876848.jpeg
    491.7 KB · Views: 76
Looks awesome! I have same color 2018 MS 100D and love it. I had PPF installed in all the critical areas: front, hood, mirror backs, rocker panels, etc. Then I had CQuartz Finest Reserve ceramic coating applied. Took 4 days at shop, but I have NO regrets. Just completed a 2500 mile road trip. The car looked pretty bad when I returned, especially front end. Cleaned up quickly and easily. Front end showed dents in PPF, but those would have been paint nicks/chips without the PPF!