Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Protection Film (PPF) & Ceramic Coating

What EXTERIOR car protection are you going to get?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is a quote I received. All the work is custom, not pre-cut. Anyone have feedback on this? Thinking about doing a full car wrap, but it might be overkill? Does the XPEL show lines where it starts and stops? What happens if there is a deep scratch? What about a dent that needs to be removed or a big scuff from a car accident?

Thanks!

XPEL Ultimate Plus Paint Protection Film:
1) Standard kit: $895
-
Partial hood
-Partial fenders
-Front bumper
-Backs of the mirrors
-Door edges
-Rear bumper deck (loading zone)
2) Full front-end: $1,595
-
Full hood
-Full fenders
-Front bumper
-Backs of the mirrors
-Door edges
-Rear bumper deck (loading zone)
3) Full car wrap with XPEL Ultimate Plus $4,850 which would cover all of the painted exteriors panels.
4) Full car wrap with XPEL Stealth $5,450 which would cover all of your current painted areas for protection and a satin finish. Turns the factory color into matte/satin.
5) Center Console: 3 piece center console wrap in XPEL Ultimate or XPEL Stealth (satin finish): $150
6) Headlights + Fog lights (XPEL Ultimate Plus): $150
7) Door Sills (rear only as the fronts come with factory ones): $70
8) Rocker Panels: $400 (pair)

Window Tint: Ceramic film carries a lifetime warranty and protects against 99.9% of the UV's (Again, the price may differ on the Y)
Sides only: Ceramic film: $350
Full rear only: Ceramic film: $400 (1 piece, no seams)

I have XPEL ultimate on my BMW M4 with zero regrets: front bumper, headlights, hood, carbon lip/splitters, rocker panels, trunk, carbon roof, rear view mirrors.

Easy to clean my car with waterless spray, scratches heal by itself, prevents dings, and saved my headlights from breaking when someone baby bumped into my headlight (without XPEL I’m sure the headlight would have cracked). Furthermore the warranty is amazing through your installer in case there are any issues.

Reactions: XPEL and warloc
PPF I feel on the whole front of the car is crucial, also makes it look like its not even there as you won't see any seams. Had it on a previous car and it was great, so much less worry about going through construction zones or scrubbing bugs off. Also like that the Y has plastic lower rocker panels or whatever you call them. That area usually always gets chips. It also looks like the MY rear fender flares are bigger, so even more crucial those lower panels are plastic in the back for better protection.

Window Tint: Ceramic film carries a lifetime warranty and protects against 99.9% of the UV's (Again, the price may differ on the Y)
Full rear only: Ceramic film: $400 (1 piece, no seams)[/QUOTE]

I am familiar with the ceramic coating...but is Ceramic film something different or just a different name for the same thing?

Does the XPEL show lines where it starts and stops?
That is a seam. Yes, you will see those, if they have any. They claim to only do custom installations, so ask if there will be any seams and where.
What happens if there is a deep scratch? What about a dent that needs to be removed or a big scuff from a car accident?
The warranty covers all major manufacturer defects. So, if the PPF turns color, peels up, or bubbles, the maker of the film will pay a shop for their labor and material to replace the PPF. It does not cover severe damage to the PPF caused by a collision or impact of some foreign thing. This product protects the paint from minor scuff and light scratches and small rock chips. It is not a magic force field or an insurance policy.

With all that said...
Those prices are very low, honestly. Ask for very close up pictures of their work and to see examples of their work, in person. If it look "odd" take pictures and post them up.

I am familiar with the ceramic coating...but is Ceramic film something different or just a different name for the same thing?
Ceramic Coating is not the same as Ceramic Tint... at all. It is a "treatment" done to the glass or painted surfaces that make those surfaces easier to keep clean. Ceramic Coating does not provide the protection to the paint anywhere near the levels that PPF does.

Reactions: XPEL and rchivert

The ceramic film is a type of window tint. It's applied to the inside, like regular tinting. Not the same thing as the ceramic coating that's sprayed on (either on the paint or on top of the PPF).

Reactions: Dwayne Hicks

I am familiar with the ceramic coating...but is Ceramic film something different or just a different name for the same thing?[/QUOTE]

The thought with ceramic tint is that it doesn't use a metal film like cheaper tint which can interfere or impede radio waves. Ceramic is also a better insulator which should help keep the heat out. I've personally done 20% ceramic on all of my vehicles for years and it's always help keep the interior cooler. I wouldn't be able to own a car with black interior in the south without it.

For the Y, I will probably do 20% on the front and 95% on the rear and hatch. Typically OEM windows are just darkened, but lack the heat rejection of a tint.

As far as PPF, I was quoted $1950 by a local business that will come to the delivery center with an enclosed trailer, take it to their shop and install Xpel and then transport it back over to my house. They did my ZL1 Camaro using this method, plus paint corrected/ceramic coated the entire car, including rims and calipers.

This is what it looked like afterwards. I'm hoping to get very similar results on the Y since it's going to be a similar shade of gray. Even after a year of washing, nothing sticks to the paint, to the point a towel will glide off the car. The rims don't hold as much dust and spray off easily. The barrels of the rim also clean much easier.

s6gvjIY23RJgLKdGlgAXKY67whud_Br9tNGDqmdb5Dx9iKL7wgplOV21ZRuX4RT9AtASZRW4FQTv7ZGhTqO65-n1U0rlXhR5y2o1YNu4NRUiwGcEu-teoPWlsFYQn6RUsNBrgMSSBlpx7nufjLtoobzcq5EUO_QlNvIzUSRyumhtqPyZ-TVD_4zgNXM9nYLWyqGEvQY6OZmTqrt7LUGIz4OW671Vb4VlA4csObf2b-0CRhAbmK6UoUPW0-dv9ksNCjpdoDYZd1wXQN0h_QMXM7CyjyplBSwGihwfBVVcsHnKRNBzK0PH7dwigt344eAU-LkqR_47ewqV8_vzRMwSiGKnhXMhT2gRh3C7uPuIbmeESknKMgfwKf4rIblCHJI7iqjVTgSEtktFAFYrwegkwHIBd_IPJ5CNT_uxVNaAv66R2bYZpmtUop5TQeyB10A3zWmUGiiA6Rd2GBPv7EDVwdV3ah-A2CGAEQzp8t0slms1NKbzqi06KMKHNSP2z6OmmBxoQ87y7LVVycgvGwovRhxeGHwsjfGp3lf0_CecMncuH7pjOURi1XrhoK9S3GMwKxvTOa60ebZiDoY4el4amL9U9Q0cEv-YTgeS9Tq9Tu0wIy6G5Wqx5m03fXDG-6v90Cy4xX7Cr5C8_EoIYajUrwE-Xq0here-wbK4r0yDrSj2l2285KNtsttxXkJMoN8=w1620-h1080-no

ec-2zdwQdv-UxPYC41i6ULymEui-mvZFf42lE6PjmsF9HhSmzVcP_K_XLHKmvjTZhx9Mocv0nDyMjwJwGBizFpDm5k7XNTWJC-TmwwQOqfu6QsXljF2y3PbVlbvoAeXMvvWcnDHis13vbolqhYM3jTyqv5NkI1a7M4C5AU1HOkZl-rsignpDGTPHqpnIKjfl3jXxB5MTctiDJEO7u-03E5s-X43klrz4I4CGx2bksy2ye98dnjEQ0FM9fViQz-G83Lzje9X1wjirV3u-7dOas3whvPRw8qxF09zPRBx9M4gD7ISCzvkIhzg_bp6YT2uUxDHm4wmgOn6q5sU6ykZ-T_Lj4Mc0aGBg_ToElIiw0Wl83vU2EcWSYWnli3JMoyvlB9mZB_gCVSKibfd0UdkQL20JEWfi8F7nDYMfRH15mUwOZNCED30bqYC1aNEaeBAvMtGoWINE0GPopG7DgLrw2Js7gaeNNXMOjJ-ECbjfUg4tWSPiWwYxwvGm6GixWJHT6BGC3AaJKyaeM5feDwfIGuvDnlihGHBGXVpr8-1LXInz3I965h2US1v4tKtNQx1LLtqlS_5QJ1SLeo2oAxAShw3qEkgG8SUkewhJG8_vq7ukiwXWxLbBbglp18qOZZmCTn0JpWqSZM0STytPeIXboMTCr5Z4odLlpRzAwtkmc-XJiq8WHiYz762YjOOg3hM=w1620-h1080-no

User PagodaY has scouted out Paint Protection Film — Always Clean Detailing Services in Fairlawn, NJ. They charge about $5k for a full wrap with Suntek ($6k for hand-cut), but it looks like they also offer Xpel. I'm looking into an Xpel shop in Darien, CT, Expert Paint Protection Film Installation — Darien Detail.
Please let me know what you discover... I'm willing to drive anywhere in NJ/NY/CT Metro area.... demonstrated genuine expertise will get my business.

Reactions: Electric Steve
As far as PPF, I was quoted $1950 by a local business that will come to the delivery center with an enclosed trailer, take it to their shop and install Xpel and then transport it back over to my house. They did my ZL1 Camaro using this method, plus paint corrected/ceramic coated the entire car, including rims and calipers.

The images aren't working for me. I think it's because they're directly to Google Photos and the images aren't shared to all.

As for $2k for PPF, that's a good price, maybe too good. I realize that most of the cost is in the labor, so I guess it's possible if Georgia has a low cost of living, but it would concern me, especially given that it includes the trailer pickup and delivery. Did they mention what type of PPF?

The images aren't working for me. I think it's because they're directly to Google Photos and the images aren't shared to all.

As for $2k for PPF, that's a good price, maybe too good. I realize that most of the cost is in the labor, so I guess it's possible if Georgia has a low cost of living, but it would concern me, especially given that it includes the trailer pickup and delivery. Did they mention what type of PPF?

It's not letting me edit my prior post. I should have specified that it's just the front of the car and a few other key areas in Xpel Ultimate for $1950.

20794926_969591876514281_698282240_o.jpg

20821367_969591836514285_1304486523_o.jpg

Should you wait to bring a car in for work if it is the first their company will see? Is it better to wait until they have worked on a couple? I worry that they will tear it up to see how it is put together, or won't know what has changed from a 3.

In most cases a shop won't need to do any major disassembly for ppf. If you plan on doing only the front end then they might remove fender side markers and hood emblem but that's a faily simple and non-intrusive removal.

The biggest issue would be custom kit vs full custom installation - the car is so new that companies haven't produced pre-cut templates for the cars yet so installers will need to do a completely custom installation. This is where you need to be wary of who you take your car to. If you're in Portland i'd recommend PDX Wraps in Sherwood. Just let them know Alvaro sent you - They do good work and i'm sure they will take good care of you.

Reactions: Electric Steve
If going for a full body ppf in matte finish, does anyone know whether one could go with laser-cut prefab film pieces or one would have to use an uncut film roll, assumedly at higher installation costs? The precut would likely have more places where the film is not fully covering, i.e. the wrap would not go around all edges and the shiny paint would therefore show along some edges. Or will it all look matte by just stepping a couple of feet away from the car? Anyone with hands-on experience?

If going for a full body ppf in matte finish, does anyone know whether one could go with laser-cut prefab film pieces or one would have to use an uncut film roll, assumedly at higher installation costs? The precut would likely have more places where the film is not fully covering, i.e. the wrap would not go around all edges and the shiny paint would therefore show along some edges. Or will it all look matte by just stepping a couple of feet away from the car? Anyone with hands-on experience?

Not wrapping the edges will still be something you see from a few feet back, maybe less so with certain colors but typically matte finish films are installed using an uncut film roll and installing custom to provide the most coverage and be visually pleasing. Some modification to pre-cut files could provide some solutions on certain areas of the car, but typically matte-finish is bulk installed

I was just quoted $2k for the front wrap clear wrap and another 1k for the ceramic coating. Ceramic tint on all the windows including roof was $750 (formula one stratos). I will say that all ceramic tint is not made equally so do some research.