Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint protection: worth it or mostly a geeking out thing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have never done paint protection on a car in the past.

The only times I might jave regretted that would be my 1996 dodge neon that peeled on it’s own (something that model was infamous for), and when my 1998 Camry got keyed while I was back in college...

(In 91 I had a college roommate who also got keyed, so maybe that’s 3 stories).

- these are 2 bad neighborhood stories and ine defective car that protection probably would not have saved...

So... is this stuff really worth it? What’s it tend to cost?

Is it going to save me from that gravel truck up the road that has no overhead tarp on? Will it saveme from the teenager that decides that anyone with a Tesla must be “the man” and he’s going to get even with his keys?
Is it mostly a vanity thing for me to get geeky over?

I did a clear bra on the front bumper only. There will be rock chips here and there, but a bit of touch up paint takes care of that. I've had some issue with rocks on longer trips, but not with this there. I didn't feel a full protection job to be worth it to me, but YMMV.

• Informative
Reactions: jrad6515
It’s worth it if you install yourself for cheap but I think it’s too expensive to have professionally installed. Places around me charge $1,800 to do bumper, hood and fenders. I would almost bet my paint guy would repaint all that for less. I can get you precut xpel if you’re interested in trying yourself.

Reactions: Sg911
It’s worth it if you install yourself for cheap but I think it’s too expensive to have professionally installed. Places around me charge $1,800 to do bumper, hood and fenders. I would almost bet my paint guy would repaint all that for less..

He probably would.

And then he'd do it again when it's messed up again a year or two later.

And again a year or two after that.

The idea with PPF is you put it on and the paint stays perfect for 10 years, and even better, it doesn't only look good for the 10 minutes after your latest repaint.

Reactions: Dana1 and C141medic
> So... is this stuff really worth it?
I think it would depend on the person, which kind of paint protection was used. IIRC, there's two main types of paint protection, one is a PPF (Paint protection film), the other being a type of coating applied to the paint.

> What’s it tend to cost?
Perhaps others can chime in on the coating as I've not opted for that, but can speak about my experience with PPF.
The materials more or less will cost the same, what will greatly vary is the cost for labor. If you're looking for going the PPF route rather than the coating, I would recommend not to go with the cheapest solution (you usually get what you pay for), and look around for recommendations from others who have gotten PPF with a good experience. If you're local to the Bay Area, I've had good experiences with Mr. Tint and Invisiguard Clear Bra. Between the two, Mr. Tint is more expensive (although they have more locations in the Bay), and I prefer Invisiguard Clear Bra in San Carlos.

Cost-wise, here's what I 've seen:

Partial Front end: (front bumper, partial fenders, partial hood, mirrors) will range around $750 - 1k. When I bought a Forster a few years back, I thought this was good enough, but in hindsight, while the covered parts were well protected, I got lots of paint chips from the upper hood and A pillars which weren't and now wished I would have gotten the full front and sides covered.

Full Front end (front bumper, front fenders, entire hood, mirrors and partial A pillar) will range around 1k - 1.5k, which will be good for long-distance driving, or driving around roads with lots of gravel.

Full car (Entire car: A-Pillars, mirrors, front and rear bumpers, hood, fenders, doors, quarter panels, rear hatch): Ranges around $3.75k to 5k depending on material. I think this was a bit overkill, as there's parts that probably don't really need protection, like the rear hatch. Many folks get this option if they're interested in getting a matte look on their car, want 100% protection, and/or just have lots of money hanging around.

I've opted for Full front end, plus additional panels to protect, like the doors, rear bumper, and quarter panels. This cost a good chunk less than the full car wrap and IMO protected most of the important panels that are most susceptible to others opening doors on, rubbing up against (while walking past), or airborne rocks/gravel.

> Is it going to save me from that gravel truck up the road that has no overhead tarp on?
Having something is better than having nothing IMO. Although an important question to ask is-- How long do I plan on keeping the car? If you are leasing, or plan on selling the car in 2 - 3 years, paying for (full frontal or full car) PPF may not be a worthwhile investment. However if you plan on keeping it longer, or drive where there's lots of gravel, then that will help aid with preventing rock chips and slightly lowering the depreciation of your car at time of sale/trade-in.

> Will it save me from the teenager that decides that anyone with a Tesla must be “the man” and he’s going to get even with his keys?
That depends on the driver and where they park. I'm a bit more particular of where I park my car, and opt to park farther away in shopping malls as lots of folks prefer to park closest to where they need to go. IMO, this will help lower the changes of getting my car keyed. (NOTE: Here's where getting PPF on the doors, quarter panels and fenders will help).

> Is it mostly a vanity thing for me to get geeky over?
That's certainly one perspective. I can offer another-- If you've paid close to 100k (or whatever the purchase price was), I'd imagine that you also would like to keep the value of the car high, whether it's for resale, or otherwise. Getting PPF or other paint protection I think helps to add a level of protection your hard-earned purchase and isn't particularly a vanity thing.

If I was in the market for a CPO (or 2nd-hand) Tesla, I'd prefer for one that had PPF vs. one that did not or had lots of paint touch ups or was resprayed.

Hope this helps!

The value of PPF is all personal preference. Most Tesla clients we come into contact with are super excited about their cars and treat them with the same level of care. Most plan on keeping them for more than a couple of years too. If you care about the paint, or just the type of person who likes to take care of their car, then I definitely recommend looking into it.

Reactions: Pentium2004
Definitely a bit of a geeking out thing. But they do work, unlike tinfoil hats that don't really protect you from aliens.

To put it short, if you aren't sure, get at least your front bumper wrapped. You will almost certain to see immediate results, because the Model 3's bumper takes the most bugs and rocks in my experience. I had 2 instances within 2 months of ownership that would've chipped my paint, but the PPF saved it.

My hood is perfectly fine, but if you drive on roads with lots of gravel, then I would recommend wrapping the full front with the hood. The front of the Model 3 is absolutely beautiful. Would hate to see it get blemished by rock chips.

Most important thing when getting PPF done is to get it done by a good detail shop. The experience of the detailer makes all the difference. XPEL, Suntek, and 3M are all good. Their cost will vary depending on if you go with their 10-year warranty or the 3-5 year warranty film.

Usually people bundle the PPF installation with ceramic coating. It's just easier to get them both done at the same time, since the detailer will have to prep the car, lay PPF, then ceramic coat on top. PPF protects your car from physical damage such as rock chips, scratches, scrapes, and doors. Ceramic coating is like a semi-permanent wax, it'll make it easier to wash your car. Plus it helps protect against elements such as UV, oxidation, acidic bird droppings, etc..

However if you're the type that don't wash the car, don't care about door dings, or rock chips, then save your money.

Reactions: Dana1
I had PPF/Clear Bra done to the whole front of my old car about 10 years ago. It definitely protected the paint underneath when I took it off after a few years. I took it off because I didn't maintain it and it started to look bad (not yellow, but hazy and it looked particularly bad on my black car). So I am passing on doing the PPF this time since I know I won't maintain it.

In the 5.5 years/116K miles of S ownership, PPF has saved a lot of money and kept the car looking nice. Several times some other vehicle has rubbed off their paint. A bit of bug and tar remover gets rid of it. It won't help dents, but it sure helps for rock chips and inconsiderate parkers. Now if only it could do something about ICEing at Superchargers :)

Reactions: AnthonyR0
Speaking of gravel trucks... anyone taken a rock to the windshield or glass roof yet, and how’d that turn out?
I have a small chip in my windshield I need to have filled. Also had a few rock chips on the front bumper. Sort of wish I had clear bra'ed the front bumper but at the end of the day this is my commuter car, its going to take some knicks. I'll get the windshield chip filled and will probably get the touch up paint after a few months and fill in the black chip spots.
I think they put a thicker windshield on these than normal cars. My Rav 4 EV has a thicker windshield and it has been hit by some pretty nasty large things and it is still hanging.

I do wipe down the front of my car at night. The earlier you get those bugs off the paint the easier time you will have. My airplane used to sit out in the sun and if I didn't wipe the bugs off the wings after a flight they would bake onto the paint and it took way more time to remove them. Getting a clear bra could probably delay or stop that bake into paint issue.

Whatever you do, if you’ve never PPFd anything, do NOT TRY THIS YOURSELF and expect quality results or save money. PPF is not cheap, and if you mess up once, you’ve lost all the cost savings.

Just in my personal experience:

The hardest parts of wrapping a car are all the many 3D curved surfaces on the Model 3. These are the sections where professional installers are worth the money. It’s really tough to fold over the wrap (up & down direction) then stretch it around a curve (left & right direction) without getting fingers. You really need to know the best anchoring point to secure the wrap and how to work your way out from there with the fewest blemishes, something pros have learned from experience.

Pre-cuts do not make it easier either, if anything, it’s probably harder because the holes for sensors are pre-cut, which means you have to align to them, which requires an incredible amount of stretching and precision.

I have tried installing myself and FAILED MISERABLY, so I’m chalking it up to a life lesson. I hope you don’t fall into the trap of ‘trying to save a few bucks’ and do it yourself if you’ve never wrapped anything. Like most other things in life, pros make it look so easy on YouTube, but that’s why they can charge $KK for their work (which I now know they are earning it!).

He probably would.

And then he'd do it again when it's messed up again a year or two later.

The idea with PPF is you put it on and the paint stays perfect for 10 years, and even better, it doesn't only look good for the 10 minutes after your latest repaint.
Agreed.

The way I also justify the expense is....well, "I'm buying a luxury car!" I want and expect this purchase to look as such for as long as possible. After all, in my neck of the woods, roads - weather - and seasonal changes are something to contend with.

If cost is the concern...well, just take the trade-approach... Stop buying the daily $3-$4 Latte at SB and in time the expense is covered. One's health may appreciated it too ;)

Reactions: AnthonyR0
Yeah you guys are selling me on the idea.

The paint from other cars caught my attention. I don’t go into San Francisco much anymore but everytime I do somebody gives me a minor “free paint job”...

It’s one thong to get that on an 8 year old Jetta. But it’s why I won’t park my X-3 on the street there... so yeah... this is all making a lot of sense.

Especially since I will be driving my M3 on the bridge daily...

I have a small chip in my windshield I need to have filled. Also had a few rock chips on the front bumper. Sort of wish I had clear bra'ed the front bumper but at the end of the day this is my commuter car, its going to take some knicks. I'll get the windshield chip filled and will probably get the touch up paint after a few months and fill in the black chip spots.
I think they put a thicker windshield on these than normal cars. My Rav 4 EV has a thicker windshield and it has been hit by some pretty nasty large things and it is still hanging.

I do wipe down the front of my car at night. The earlier you get those bugs off the paint the easier time you will have. My airplane used to sit out in the sun and if I didn't wipe the bugs off the wings after a flight they would bake onto the paint and it took way more time to remove them. Getting a clear bra could probably delay or stop that bake into paint issue.
Golfpilot, that’s my whole reason to PPF+Ceramic the fishmouth on the front of the M3 too: make wiping off bugs as easy as possible! ;)

Reactions: F_T_K and golfpilot
Hi-
I would like to ppf and ceramic coat my 3. One poster mentioned Mr 'Tint and invisiguard in San Carlos. Has anyone done this to their 3 in the Oakland CA area and would recommend their detailer? Thinking of suntech ppf for the front. Thanks.