Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint..Protective coating and carwash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a two point post dealing with Model 3/Tesla paint.

A few months back people were commenting that they planned to have a special coating put on their Model 3 as soon as they got it in order to protect the paint. Anybody know what that stuff is and hopefully they have it in Arizona.

Also, I had planned for my Model 3 not to see the inside of a car wash for quite some time. Has anybody had any problems with Tesla’s paint when it comes to car washes?? Do recommend hand washing the car?

I have a 2015 MS and I have the 2 layer Opticoat on my car. I'm really happy with it. The paint is deep blue metallic so being a dark color it shows a scratch quickly and it's annoying. Opti has helped significantly, especially for protection from bird droppings but nothing beats the spray on protectant. This stuff is fantastic, is easy to apply, and remove. You cannot see it on the car either. I heard they have a new paint process so hopefully the newer cars are not as scratch prone as mine but even with the Opti I use this 3M spray film. After a few months it needs to be peeled off and reapplied. 3M Paint Defender Spray Film - AutoZone.com

I'm seriously considering getting an XPel wrap on my Model 3 for two reasons. First, to protect the paint. Because the car is painted in California where they have stricter environmentally based regulations on car paint, Tesla paint is softer than other cars. And even with most cars, paint get chipped and scratched in no time it feels like. Second, because XPel has wraps that can intentionally slightly alter the shine of the color. For example, if you want a matte finish on the bright blue, the XPel wrap you would use isn't perfectly clear. It's just another way to customize the car. Or if you really want, you can get an entirely different color or pattern.

Great info...Opticoat Pro Plus or Expel appear to be the permanent coatings. Is this a one time process or do these coatings need to be refreshed at a later time?

Good info on the car washes too...I didn't even consider the AP cameras and sensors...Good catch!

Driving down the freeway last week and a small tree branch fell off a truck in front of me. After the oh sh..t moment when it hit my hood, I pulled over and was glad for the PPF on my car (Nano Fusion PPF | Home |) only a small mark was left behind. Had it hit my real paintwork, I would have been in serious agony and repainting the hood. The various PPF's work whether XPEL, 3M or Nano. Get at least all the front facing surfaces covered. Much cheaper to replace a film than repainting anything larger than one rock ship on a Tesla.