Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Scratch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All - I just picked up my model 3 yesterday and everything turned out fine except for a scratch on the passenger side of the car which is about 1 inch in length but just a line width.

The guy at the service center noted it down and said it will be sent to Tesla and someone will contact me. Any one went thru the same situation can fill me in their experience. I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Krishna

• Informative
Reactions: Gordon87
Many new cars in general (regardless of brand) are repainted after shipping damage. You never know if a past car you purchased was one of those.

However ignorance is bliss, because not knowing means the owner never has to think about the that fact.

P.s. If you can see metal or a different color than the color of the rest of the car, it’s more than the clear coat.

My car was delivered with multiple paint defects and I accepted delivery because of FOMO of the full tax credit....well, now I know that wouldn't have been the case.

Some of the defects required respraying of panels and some of the minor ones were fixed with paint correction. Wasn't too concerned with resprayed panels, as I don't think my Model 3 will be a collectors car due to the large number they are making.

Tesla approved body shop in my area had a 2.5 month wait time, so Tesla SC recommended calling them directly to get the next available appointment. Body shop did an awesome job and looks as it should have on delivery day.

My Red LR RWD M3 had noticeable bluish tint on the lower front air intake. It was promptly confirmed by service center personnel. I was told to expect a call in two weeks for a fix. No call came. I called. Was told I would get a call in a month. No call came. I called again. Was told there was no record of me asking for service! But, thankfully, they finally got on it and apologized for “losing paperwork” (in a computer based environment???). They took my M3 for a week. Gave me a loaner MS and it came back perfect.

Many new cars in general (regardless of brand) are repainted after shipping damage. You never know if a past car you purchased was one of those.

However ignorance is bliss, because not knowing means the owner never has to think about the that fact.

Not excusing Tesla but a story. A owned a 2004 Accord and had to take it to a body shop for a new front bumper. I went to the shop my Honda dealer recommend.
They had 10 new Accords there for work. I asked why they had so many and they said “this is normal.” They were in for the same paint issues people complain about on Tesla forums.

Tesla needs to fix the issues at the local stores before they sell to the masses. They can’t expect the consumer to take their new car in for paint repairs. It is very unprofessional.