Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panasonic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Benz

Nov 15, 2012
Netherlands
2014 will prove to be a very important year for Tesla Motors. We all know that Tesla Motors is production constrained. They cannot produce as many Model Ses as they would like to match the demand. A lot has got to do with the current limited delivery of battery cells by Panasonic. Under the new 1.8 billion battery cell agreement between Tesla Motors and Panasonic this problem should be solved (for the first few years).

I have started this thread, so that all the news and discussions related to this topic can be gathered in this thread. What more can I say? Just share your thoughts with the rest of us.

2014 will prove to be a very important year for Tesla Motors. We all know that Tesla Motors is production constrained. They cannot produce as many Model Ses as they would like to match the demand. A lot has got to do with the current limited delivery of battery cells by Panasonic. Under the new 1.8 billion battery cell agreement between Tesla Motors and Panasonic this problem should be solved (for the first few years).

I have started this thread, so that all the news and discussions related to this topic can be gathered in this thread. What more can I say? Just share your thoughts with the rest of us.

great idea to have this thread. I hope we can get some more transparency on timing of when this extra supply of batteries will actually get delivered to Tesla.

great idea to have this thread. I hope we can get some more transparency on timing of when this extra supply of batteries will actually get delivered to Tesla.

Didn't Musk say they would be past the constraint by 2014Q2 or middle of the year?

Panasonic also said something about March 2014.

These two timings coincide.

Didn't Musk say they would be past the constraint by 2014Q2 or middle of the year?

The sooner the better.

As time goes by, more info will pop up.

Maybe our Japanese friends might be able to keep an eye on Panasonic for us and report any info in this thread in 2014 and onwards?

I think he said they would be at full capacity with the new supply agreement by the middle of the year, yes. But I would like to know when the supply starts increasing and at what pace as I doubt it will just be an overnight increase to the new supply.

Reposting from another thread:

Mark your calendars: the press conferences schedule for North American International Auto Show in Detroit includes not only press conference for Tesla (currently 11:40 to 12:05 on January 14), but also for Panasonic (5:35-6:00 on January 13). Panasonic press conference might be as news worthy as the Tesla's one.

North American International Auto Show - MediaRoom - 2014 Press Conference Schedule

Reposting from another thread:

Mark your calendars: the press conferences schedule for North American International Auto Show in Detroit includes not only press conference for Tesla (currently 11:40 to 12:05 on January 14), but also for Panasonic (5:35-6:00 on January 13). Panasonic press conference might be as news worthy as the Tesla's one.

North American International Auto Show - MediaRoom - 2014 Press Conference Schedule

It would be nice if at least one of us could be present at these two press conferences, so that during Q&A the right questions could be asked in order to get a clear picture of the ramp up schedule of the production of those 18650 battery cells by Panasonic.

It would be nice if at least one of us could be present at these two press conferences, so that during Q&A the right questions could be asked in order to get a clear picture of the ramp up schedule of the production of those 18650 battery cells by Panasonic.
It would, but I think only individuals with media credentials are allowed.

on a surface of it, the Panasonic press conference seem to be unusual for such an event. My working assumption at this point is that they are planning to release some information about the ramp-up.

During the recent visit to the factory one of the Barclays analysts concluded that Panasonic plans to fully rump up their production by the end of Q2 2014. If we are to believe the accuracy of the California state tax break media report, the currently planned "steady state" production rate is 56,500 cars/year, so it would be reasonable to conclude that Panasonic will ramp-up to produce enough cells to get to the production rate of 56,000 cars/year by the end of Q2 2014.