Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parallel parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else had trouble getting their car to detect a parallel parking spot to park it itself? I’ve only my MYLR for a year and a half and it’s detected the spot twice, while I’ve had to do it myself probably 40 times. Is there something I’m doing wrong? Or does anyone have any suggestions how to get it to detect the open spot and do it itself? It’s fantastic when it works, but I’ve almost given up all hope for parallel spots.

Has anyone else had trouble getting their car to detect a parallel parking spot to park it itself? I’ve only my MYLR for a year and a half and it’s detected the spot twice, while I’ve had to do it myself probably 40 times. Is there something I’m doing wrong? Or does anyone have any suggestions how to get it to detect the open spot and do it itself? It’s fantastic when it works, but I’ve almost given up all hope for parallel spots.
First, READ THE MANUAL.

the requirements for auto-parking are relatively stringent. To auto-park, it must have cars in the adjacent spaces.

First, READ THE MANUAL.

the requirements for auto-parking are relatively stringent. To auto-park, it must have cars in the adjacent spaces.
Alright, genius… from the “OWNERS MANUAL”

Parallel Parking
  • Your driving speed must be below 13 mph (21 km/h). If driving too fast, Autopark may not be able to accurately detect your desired parking space.
  • There must be a vehicle in front of the space you want to park in.
  • A distinct curb or edge must be visible. Autopark may not correctly identify the parking space if the curb is not distinct, such as grass or dirt.
Check, check, check - still extremely unreliable. Post a video of your car getting it every time and show me how it’s done since the manual didn’t help me as you thought it might

Since you didn't mention that the conditions were right, I have to assume that you hadn't since, that's what 99% of the people with the exact same question do.

Yes, it is not reliable, it has gotten better and gotten worse through different software releases. It actually seems to be showing up periodically which is much better than about 6 months ago when it wasn't even appearing.

• Disagree
Reactions: sfRonH