Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Park brake fault

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sadly my MSLR at 87 days of ownership and 1699 miles had it's first hiccup. Got into drive it yesterday morning and the dash shows a parking brake fault error code. It also shows cruise control unavailable, parking brake degraded, auto hold unavailable and vehicle may free roll. The car still can move which is good. First available appointment Dec 24.
Just wanted to inform the forum and I'll post more info after it's fixed.

Sadly my MSLR at 87 days of ownership and 1699 miles had it's first hiccup. Got into drive it yesterday morning and the dash shows a parking brake fault error code. It also shows cruise control unavailable, parking brake degraded, auto hold unavailable and vehicle may free roll. The car still can move which is good. First available appointment Dec 24.
Just wanted to inform the forum and I'll post more info after it's fixed.
12v battery or bad/corroded ground

Update:
I was able to change my service appointment to today 12/20 at 9 am. The service center is 40 mins away from my house. Lyndhurst Tesla gave me a loaner S and thought they would need the car overnight. I drove back home.
At 4:15 I received a text my car was ready. Service closes at 5 and I wasn't sure I could make it there in time. I tried calling...that's funny. Phone message told me to schedule service through Tesla app. I drove there anyhow and arrived at 5:10. Service dept was gone, but sales was there until 7. I asked if I could get my car. Salesman was very helpful. I turned in my loaned FOB walked out to my car in the parking lot.
I asked the salesman if he knew what they did to fix it. He said it would be in the Tesla app under service. Right now it still shows them calculating my final bill. I'm guessing because I picked it up after the service dept closed. I'm hoping they will update the info tomorrow and I'll see what they actually fixed.
My takeaways:
1. First Tesla I've owned. I have concerns about reliability. Don't like not being able to talk to a person, but once at the Service Center everyone has been extremely courteous and helpful.
2. The car was fixed in a day and they gave me a loaner (which I wasn't really expecting).
3. The rear lower shelf cover and floor mats that weren't in the car when I bought it in Sept. Were both in the car when I picked it up. ( I did notate I needed them when I made the service call)
4. All in all I'm really happy with the service. I love the car. I'm curious to see what actually went wrong and what they fixed.
Thanks for reading.

Just got my 2015 S back from Lyndhurst service for parking brake too.
Unfortunately, out of warranty so $1400 later they're fixed. Invoice showed internal failure on both calipers.
I was getting loud noise occasionally then warnings similar to OP's.
The Lyndhurst center has always treated me well. Not with discounts though!

• Funny
Reactions: DerbyDave
Well, I've had the car 109 days and it has 2297 miles and the park brake fault came on again tonight. Service is scheduled for Jan 10. I'm a little concerned. More to follow.

Attachments

• 20211228_220643.jpg
    20211228_220643.jpg
    337.2 KB · Views: 409
My Model S 2015 have had occ. two parking brake problems. In my dashboard Tesla indicate "parking brake functions degraded" but also sometime not release parking brake. Tesla have not been helpful but just said I can just "toggle" between forward and reverse gear. This solves the immediate problem, but it occurs again. Paid for replacement in 2019 ( out of warranty), but this week the parking brake apparently did not release fully. After driving 2 min the car blocked and I was stuck in the middle of the road! Phoned Tesla "wait to cool down brake pads and try toggle". Could drive to servicecenter 2 km away. Tesla diagnose "faulty parking brake calipers. Furthermore the rear drivers side rotor is cracked due
to excessive heat caused by a seized parking brake caliper. All affected components replaced.
BUT Tesla insists I have to pay. I paid in protest.