Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking brake question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I'm in Park, the parking brake is applied. When I then push the end of the stalk and hold it in, another icon shows on the screen and I hear something else actuating. Does anyone know the difference between regular park and the one with the extra icon?

When I'm in Park, the parking brake is applied. When I then push the end of the stalk and hold it in, another icon shows on the screen and I hear something else actuating. Does anyone know the difference between regular park and the one with the extra icon?

What icon is that?

See below, it explains what you are actuating.
Screenshot_20200719-175722_Drive.jpg

Think of it like a regular shifter. Pushing in on the stalk "park" button puts it into Park. Pushing and holding it in engages the E-brake. The sound you hear is the rear brakes actuating.

If you ever get into a situation where the brakes aren't working, the manual says to push and hold the park button. That's akin to applying the emergency brake.

Think of it like a regular shifter. Pushing in on the stalk "park" button puts it into Park. Pushing and holding it in engages the E-brake. The sound you hear is the rear brakes actuating.

If you ever get into a situation where the brakes aren't working, the manual says to push and hold the park button. That's akin to applying the emergency brake.
I agree, probably actuating the E-brake system, as opposed to the parking brake which is always applied in "Park" in the Y.

Reactions: captanzuelo
After reading the screen shot above I have a quick question.

If I have the car set to max regen (hold mode I believe it is called) and auto lock when walking away, can I just exit the vehicle when I arrive at my destination? I'm coming from an i3, when I would reach my destination I would pull the e-brake, exit the vehicle and press the lines on the door to lock the car (comfort access). I'm hoping the Model Y is similar if not even more convenient. I drove manual transmission cars until I went electric and I never liked my i3 slamming into the parking pin which is why I always used the e-brake.

From the screen shot above it sounds like I can just exit the vehicle, the vehicle will park itself and put on the parking brake. Does it roll any before this happens?

Thanks in advance, picking it up Saturday, crazy excited!

After reading the screen shot above I have a quick question.

If I have the car set to max regen (hold mode I believe it is called) and auto lock when walking away, can I just exit the vehicle when I arrive at my destination? I'm coming from an i3, when I would reach my destination I would pull the e-brake, exit the vehicle and press the lines on the door to lock the car (comfort access). I'm hoping the Model Y is similar if not even more convenient. I drove manual transmission cars until I went electric and I never liked my i3 slamming into the parking pin which is why I always used the e-brake.

From the screen shot above it sounds like I can just exit the vehicle, the vehicle will park itself and put on the parking brake.

Thanks in advance, picking it up Saturday, crazy excited!
Yes, it automatically locks up... When you get about 15' away, it will beep and fold mirrors indicating it has locked up...assuming you use your phone. Using the card, swipe it over the driver access port and it will lock up when departing or unlock when getting into the car.

Reactions: imola.zhp
Yes, it automatically locks up... When you get about 15' away, it will beep and fold mirrors indicating it has locked up...assuming you use your phone. Using the card, swipe it over the driver access port and it will lock up when departing or unlock when getting into the car.

Thanks, do you know if the car will roll before it puts itself into park and applies the parking brake? I'll find out soon enough, but just curious while waiting.

Thanks, do you know if the car will roll before it puts itself into park and applies the parking brake? I'll find out soon enough, but just curious while waiting.
When you stop, the automatic "hold" prevents much if any roll. Pressing in on the stick to go into park (or opening the door it will yell at you that it put it into park for you), it applies the parking brake and again, no roll that I've felt.

Reactions: imola.zhp