Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking in my garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a great big window in the front of the car that lets you see what is in front of you, hence no need for a camera to duplicate that view. If you can't tell where you are by looking, get out and see where you are and what it looks like from inside. After a while you will be able to correlate what you see out the window with where the car is relative to nearby objects. It's a very useful skill to develop.

Have to admit this is my first car that has cameras and sensors of any kind. I have a lot of trouble remembering to look at the screen.
Funny, but in all seriousness, the view out of the windshield is not great on my Model Y.
Because of the seating position (far away from the windshield) I can barely see the hood of the car, let alone where the hood ends in the bumper.

On some of my previous vehicles it was much easier to guesstimate the distance between my bumper and objects due to the seating position and shape of the hood/bumper. You could mostly see the "horizon" of the hood and that was where it went vertical from there into the bumper. Now it's round and out of view.

Yes, this is not only the case with Tesla's but with many newer vehicles, but most have sensors nowadays.

Having to estimate how far you are from objects is indeed a useful skill to develop, but leads to minor bumps along the way (for example when reverse S-parking and deciding when the nose of the car is clear of the rear-left corner of the vehicle you are parking behind).

So yeah, I want parking assist on my Model Y. Great car otherwise, but not happy about this aspect.