Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have heard that our current North American Model S cars have the wiring in place for parking sensors and the retrofit is possible. Has anyone else confirmed this? It wouldn't be the first time Tesla has hidden/preinstalled features in place to allow upgrade functionality (supercharger hardware, 40->60 KwH batteries, etc), so I'm not surprised.

I thought I read somewhere that at Teslive, Tesla said it would be too difficult to install, but since others have had 3rd party sensors done, I can't imagine this is beyond Tesla. The Euro option is "only" around 500 Euros at time of order, but I expect a retrofit to be quite a bit more. I'm still willing to bite.

I heard this from the shop foreman and service manager at the Fremont factory. During my delivery tour, I saw bumpers with pre-scored markings for the sensors at both the front and rear. I also saw car build sheets with options including parking sensors, active cruise control, blind spot monitoring, and one or two other options. All indicated "NO" and the tour guide was unwilling to say whether these things were coming - and when.

During a follow up visit to get my driver side door panel replaced and a knocking sound fixed in my driver side B-pillar, both the foreman and SM pretty much confirmed it's 'coming' at some point.

Based on their words, and my prior experience retrofitting stuff like this on German cars, it'll probably consist of 8 sensors, wiring harnesses, and a control module that sits on the CAN bus. Wiring into the CAN bus will require some kind of jumper into the main control module, likely 2 wires - CAN hi and CAN lo, plus 12V power and ground. The car would then need a software update to enable the functionality.

I retrofitted active park assist to a Volkswagen CC several years ago. At that time, it was as simple as getting the parts, installing them, and coding the car. Everything else was in the software already. Pretty cool watching your car park itself.

That's really great info! Now that you mention it, I wonder if Model S's software can be sophisticated enough to take over driving functions -- my mind would be totally blown away if someday Tesla unveiled an automated self parking function! I have this on my Ford Explorer and its a nice feature to have for large vehicles especially.

If we shoot for the moon on this feature, I'd imagine its quite possible (and maybe we can rally for) to enable these features once the sensors are in (in order of difficulty/priority):
1. Parking sensors w/ audio video feedback on the screen
2. Adaptive cruise control
3. Blind spot and cross traffic indicators (these help detect cars approaching in the parking lot perpendicular to you before you pull out)
4. Self parallel parking. Would need the car to be able to turn its own steering wheel, something I'd be surprised if the MS has.

All of these are present I the Ford Explorer and many other vehicles and I'd love to see these on the MS. I'm getting greedy, so I'd just be happy with the front and rear park aids ... for now!

I'm enjoying the Easter eggs Tesla seems to have shown so far, and I hope they continue to surprise and delight us (Elon hinted more to come at Teslive). If they do these and other things, it will prove again how flexible the MS is and how much of a threat Tesla is to traditional automakers! On my M3 I could never upgrade to the latest iDrive without buying a new car or pay for a 3rd party retrofit in the thousands $. Even on the Ford Explorer, the system software upgrades often require a visit to the dealer.

I still think the 2014 Model S (to roll out this fall?) will offer a US package or packages that include parking sensors, blind spot detection, and adaptive cruise control. And prolly the Cold Weather package since Europe already has that. I'm right on the fence in delaying my MS order in order to get these features; I depend on parking sensors (fronts are just as important as those in the rear) in my current Audi, for the crowded parking conditions I'm in every day. Given the extra width of the Model S, I'm a bit hesitant to park such a beast without sensors. (Often things are fine when you park, but the bad stuff happens when you come back to the car and find some joker right up against your bumper in front or back ... or both!).

I am hoping, based on the roadster track record, that they will offer a retrofit option. BTW, the service mgr at Menlo was recommending a couple of after market shops that are currently doing installs. I personally, would like to go OEM even for more dollars.

Not what I wanted to hear! Really hate to have after market on such a sick car. My 2001 Benz had them, what year are we in?

Wait, let's see:

...the Model S probably isn't the car for you. It's the car of the future, not the past.

But of course, according to mnx, I am still living in 1999, so what do I know? Is it 2000 already? ;-)
(Sorry couldn't let this opportunity pass.)

By the way, my 2004 BMW has them too...

The user Cirion on the Norwegian Electric Vehicle Associations web forum has taken some pictures of the parking sensor displays in the EU spec Model S. Hope they're of interest.
Cirion - Front Parking Sensors.jpg

Cirion - Rear Parking Sensors.jpg

EDIT: Ah, seems like he's now posted his pictures on TMC as well. See his thread here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/19133-Firmware-5-5-in-EU-Spec-Cars
This post also includes information about firmware 5.5 and Wifi support.

I want to address what I think are uninformed postings, resulting in disbelief and emotions.

There is a good reason why Model S doesn't incorporate a lot of "common luxury" features right from the start.

Tesla got pulled over the table negotiating prices with the 3rd party suppliers. Some didn't even start to negotiate with a new, inexperienced, small volume manufacturer. Others gauged the prices. Tesla had no other choice than to start without features like parking sensors, ACC, folding mirrors, etc. Another issue was reducing complexity, coming early to market with a -mostly- solid car.
Tesla will add these features one by one. For most features, a retrofit will be cost-prohibitive if done by Tesla. If you find any of these things crucial, just wait.