Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Add-on aftermarket parking sensor packages aren't that expensive, and the labor to install them not terribly bad. And this is for the case where there is no pre-wiring for it at all in the car.

I would expect if nothing else I could buy the Tesla sensors and pay a third party to drill the holes in the bumpers and install them. If I have wiring harnesses, great. The labor will be less than normal for aftermarket install. If not, it's no worse that normal.

The key thing I want is integration with the UI in the car, something I can't get with any aftermarket sensor package.

Add-on aftermarket parking sensor packages aren't that expensive, and the labor to install them not terribly bad. And this is for the case where there is no pre-wiring for it at all in the car.

I would expect if nothing else I could buy the Tesla sensors and pay a third party to drill the holes in the bumpers and install them. If I have wiring harnesses, great. The labor will be less than normal for aftermarket install. If not, it's no worse that normal.

The key thing I want is integration with the UI in the car, something I can't get with any aftermarket sensor package.

Well, yes, but if our cars don't have the electrical connections to allow the integration that will be difficult, no?

the 'eu fw 5.5' thread pics of parking assist ui and sensors inspired me to ask ownership again, but:

"Currently there are no updates regarding the ability to retrofit parking assist to US Model S. I will email you an update as soon as I have more information.

Best,"...

this owner adv had also previously quoted me re ios in the car:

"Thank you for your email. Currently, we do not have any plan or timeline to integrate iOS into Model S. We will most likely send out a newsletter if we do announce any future plans with iOS."....

and, re: perf + retro:

"Thank you for your email. I looked into it a bit more and found that there will be a Performance Plus Retrofit option for about $13,000.00 coming at the end of summer 2013."...

not the most inspiring set of emails.... but fwiw.

I just got off the phone with a senior manager at the factory. I asked point blanks about the sensors and his response was "I can't comment, but I'd recommend waiting a few weeks to order. " Here's hoping! Sensors are the only thing holding me back.

I just got off the phone with a senior manager at the factory. I asked point blanks about the sensors and his response was "I can't comment, but I'd recommend waiting a few weeks to order. " Here's hoping! Sensors are the only thing holding me back.

Wow! it REALLY surprises me that a Tesla manager would actively encourage someone to wait on their order... cuz we all know that "a few weeks" can quickly turn into "a few months".

I was surprised as well in all honesty. Since he's at the factory I'm hoping he knows something. Of course until they show up in the order page, it's all just fun speculation.

Speculation aside, I have more than a few contacts within Tesla all the way up the food chain. We're all connected through our various SV entrepreneur circles. Current company I work with was cofounded by one of the PayPal Mafia. I've had the pleasure of meeting Elon on many occasions.

While I'm relatively new to the MS owner's circle I'm not new to Tesla. I've consulted for them in the past. As for my history, I had 2 Signature reservations I sold last year before we relocated from DC to the Bay Area. This was partly due to me being told that the Performance Plus package was coming.

When it came time to add Model S to our personal fleet I was severely time-limited. We bought a condo in SF and it has a limited number of parking stalls equipped with charging stations. To guarantee a spot before the Leafs and Volts took over I moved on the car and had my colleagues get it for me in under 2 weeks. They all recommended waiting to get the options I wanted, but knew I couldn't. Depending on what 2014 brings and what is retrofittable, this car may or may not be in the family long.

Back on topic... In short, they know people want this. I've even been asked as to *how* they should offer it as a retrofit.

The beauty of this car (and most other modern automobiles) is that they're completely modular. Everything sits on a data bus. The parking sensors would require a control module, harnesses, the sensors, and switching a bit in the software. The bumpers are pre-scored with markings for the sensor locations. Cars built after a certain date (not sure when) have the wiring in place already. I've confirmed this with people on the line.

Tesla is smart in this regard. Rather than manufacturing multiple versions of a wiring harness, there's just one. This reduces inventory complexity and cost.

I only wish other manufacturers did this. I retrofitted a number of European-only options to the BMW, VW, and Audi cars I've owned over the years. It was extremely expensive, partly due to the wiring involved and the fact that I needed Euro-specific parts that could only be obtained in Europe.

If what I'm told is true (and having seen it with my own eyes, it is) the retrofit should be relatively straightforward and simple. Just like the twin charger retrofit, you'll buy a kit and have service install it. You'll get sensors that have been factory painted and guaranteed to fully match 100%.

I can't say when it will happen though. They're preoccupied with other things right now, but have been told it should be here before the end of the year.

Speculation aside, I have more than a few contacts within Tesla all the way up the food chain. We're all connected through our various SV entrepreneur circles. Current company I work with was cofounded by one of the PayPal Mafia. I've had the pleasure of meeting Elon on many occasions.

While I'm relatively new to the MS owner's circle I'm not new to Tesla. I've consulted for them in the past. As for my history, I had 2 Signature reservations I sold last year before we relocated from DC to the Bay Area. This was partly due to me being told that the Performance Plus package was coming.

When it came time to add Model S to our personal fleet I was severely time-limited. We bought a condo in SF and it has a limited number of parking stalls equipped with charging stations. To guarantee a spot before the Leafs and Volts took over I moved on the car and had my colleagues get it for me in under 2 weeks. They all recommended waiting to get the options I wanted, but knew I couldn't. Depending on what 2014 brings and what is retrofittable, this car may or may not be in the family long.

Back on topic... In short, they know people want this. I've even been asked as to *how* they should offer it as a retrofit.

The beauty of this car (and most other modern automobiles) is that they're completely modular. Everything sits on a data bus. The parking sensors would require a control module, harnesses, the sensors, and switching a bit in the software. The bumpers are pre-scored with markings for the sensor locations. Cars built after a certain date (not sure when) have the wiring in place already. I've confirmed this with people on the line.

Tesla is smart in this regard. Rather than manufacturing multiple versions of a wiring harness, there's just one. This reduces inventory complexity and cost.

I only wish other manufacturers did this. I retrofitted a number of European-only options to the BMW, VW, and Audi cars I've owned over the years. It was extremely expensive, partly due to the wiring involved and the fact that I needed Euro-specific parts that could only be obtained in Europe.

If what I'm told is true (and having seen it with my own eyes, it is) the retrofit should be relatively straightforward and simple. Just like the twin charger retrofit, you'll buy a kit and have service install it. You'll get sensors that have been factory painted and guaranteed to fully match 100%.

I can't say when it will happen though. They're preoccupied with other things right now, but have been told it should be here before the end of the year.

Wow that's great insight. Seriously, thank you!

Sounds awesome! I watched a video about a guy who had water inside his trunk and it shows pigtail NOT connected....Very interesting to say the least.....

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQcKYHhcSUc

Pic of pigtail:

inside_trunk_plug.jpg

Sounds awesome! I watched a video about a guy who had water inside his trunk and it shows pigtail NOT connected....Very interesting to say the least.....

That pigtail was on the trunk lid so I don't think it would be for parking sensors -- they'd probably be located in the bumper.

BUT! It does mean something else could eventually be added to the trunk lid... not sure what it could be though -- a wiper?

That pigtail was on the trunk lid so I don't think it would be for parking sensors -- they'd probably be located in the bumper.

BUT! It does mean something else could eventually be added to the trunk lid... not sure what it could be though -- a wiper?

Try a recirculation fan for 3rd row seats, which has become a big problem in warm to hot climates. This looks like part of a solution that's in the works.

Sorry, but I think you've guessed wrong.

The video MS appears to be an MS withOUT the Tech Pkg. Thus, it has no autoclose feature on the hatch. My guess: the wiring harness connector shown is simply supposed to plug into a switch for the autoclose function on the bottom of the hatch--no switch, so no place to plug the connector into. (And Tesla should be securing the unused plug to something to prevent rattles!)

Plus, placing distance sensors in the hatch area would be silly.

Just my take, especially since I still want/need the sensors ASAP!

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQcKYHhcSUc

Pic of pigtail:

View attachment 26601

These discoveries I think reinforce what I've seen and heard. While production is steadily ramping up, we're still in the early stages. Volume is low and adding additional variances would only complicate things. It makes perfect sense for them to build the car with a single wiring harness that is revised as new features come online. The cost to add additional wires and connectors is negligible given the overall price of the vehicle. I'd estimate it probably adds another few dollars.

I'm going to bring my car to a tuning shop I use for my BMW cars this weekend. We're going to put it in the air and remove some pieces to go digging.

I'm also curious about the "Fog" button I saw in the 5.5 software from the Norwegian car. I'm wondering if that's a rear fog function, something I'd like to find out how to enable for use here in the city. I'll talk to my service guy.

EDIT: I should also add that I'm going to see if there are any wiring harnesses that exist in the rear seat area of the car, either for the cold weather package or for the seat belt monitoring that was shown in some of the screenshots from 5.5. It's a law in Europe that rear seats have an indicator visible to the driver that shows seatbelt status. My car, since it was built concurrently with the first heading to Europe, might just have some wiring there.

Last edited: