Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking Tesla Snowbird [any issues garage parking a tesla for 6 months?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Set the charge level to 50% and leave plugged in. A 120V will provide enough juice. The car will do cabin overheat protection if the battery is above 20% charge. If you want to do storage the right way, put the car on jacks, so the tires don't get flat spots, but that is not a huge deal.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Upvote 0
Long term parking/storage of any vehicle in Florida or any Gulf Coast location is problematic due to the heat, humidity promoting mold and mildew. Unless the garage is climate controlled mold and mildew are a very real concern. Lesser concern is that ants, other insects will move into the vehicle because it is dry.

Leaving the Tesla vehicle plugged in and set to charge to a maximum of 50% is a good practice. Due to frequent electrical storms and power outages leaving the Tesla plugged in increases the risk of a lightning strike damaging the vehicle. (Recently there was a case of multiple vehicles being damaged by lightning. 2 out of 3 of the damaged vehicles were not even plugged in, just parked outside.)

Last edited:
Reactions: morbidz
Upvote 0
Make sure you add fuel treatment, and change the oil (joking).

I second the jacks for the tire protection, I have this issue with my other house where I keep my motorcycles, FJ and some trailers and the damn flat spots on the tires is so annoying for the first 20 miles or so...

Upvote 0
If it was me, I would periodically (maybe weekly?) remotely activate the HVAC system for a few hours. Before I left, I would make sure the HVAC system was using external air source because you cannot change re-circ setting remotely.

Is the garage connected to the house? Is it climate controlled? I'd leave the windows open a bit.

If it is in a garage that has a high humidity, I would leave a dehumidifier in the garage at a reasonable setting and connect a hose that runs outside under the garage door so the dehumidifier can run while you're gone.

Upvote 0
If it was me, I would periodically (maybe weekly?) remotely activate the HVAC system for a few hours. Before I left, I would make sure the HVAC system was using external air source because you cannot change re-circ setting remotely.

Is the garage connected to the house? Is it climate controlled? I'd leave the windows open a bit.

If it is in a garage that has a high humidity, I would leave a dehumidifier in the garage at a reasonable setting and connect a hose that runs outside under the garage door so the dehumidifier can run while you're gone.
Thanks

Upvote 0
Maybe get something like these "flatstoppers" to keep tires from getting flat spots:

Upvote 0