Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enjoyed Model Y 3 years now, going to be out of warranty soon, and issues are starting to happen left and right. How is everyone else's experience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some of your postings seem to be construed to meet your specific point of view
Well sure, I mean most of what we’re talking about here is perspective and opinions. :)

As for other opportunities available - of course. We all have to decide what we want to do with our money and how we want to spend it. Maybe we want a nice espresso machine instead of that sweet ultra red paint! We’ve all gotta make those decisions.

I apologize if anything I’ve said has come off harsh or needlessly contrary. Welcome to the club and I’m certain you’ll love your Model Y!

It’s gotta be against TMC rules somewhere. Better get @jjrandorin to ban these two respectful members immediately.

ban hammer.png

(lol)

Kidding aside,its extremely refreshing to see a difference of opinion expressed with politeness and respect.

I keep @jjrandorin plenty busy with my antics, he’s in no danger of being out of work any time soon. 😂

Real talk for a second.....

TBH, most of the time, you are like that voice of all the stuff I "want" to say, but cant, for various reasons. Not 100% of the time, but, like 97-98% of the time (rofl).

• Love
Reactions: ucmndd
Did some googling, and I think I solved 2 out of 3 issues. Doesnt seem like I can edit my original post so here is some info for anyone else that comes across this.

I came across a few posts on reddit and on these forums where people's fold seat buttons stopped working after getting their power port serviced, and in all cases the tech forgot to plug in the cable that goes to those buttons. Well, I didnt have power port serviced, but had that quarter window I mentioned replaced. So I decided to check.. and YUP! Back in December tech never plugged in the wire, I just never noticed since I never use them. Super easy to access the challenging part was fishing out the wire that was now dangling down deep in the side panel cavity. I wonder if this will also get rid of myserious rattling sound that appeared within last few months (maybe cable banging about inside).

Here is how you access it:

View attachment 1029527

View attachment 1029528

The cable clips into the slot, so no way it fell out of its own. It was definitely tech forgetting to plug it back in after removing the panel to put in the window.

So that issue is resolved.

Then I looked under the seat and found the sensor wires, they look like this:

View attachment 1029531

The sensor is in the seat's foam and is the ribbon cable (red) coming out of the hole (green). It then goes into a little box and gets converted to standard wire (orange), which then goes into a clip (purple), the other side of the clip (blue) connects to the main thick wire harness seen in the center of the image.

I didnt want to unclip the clip or mess with any of that, so instead I pushed the clip together with my fingers, and also stuck my finger into the hole (green) to feel the sensor inside (ive read reports of them being displaced although they are supposed to be glued to the foam). I moved it around a bit.

After doing that the sensor seems to be working flawlessly.

View attachment 1029533

So for now I cancelled the appointment. Although I am still not sure what that APP_w303_imulrational error means. Ive read that its caused by sensors in various parts of the car not agreeing and can be triggered by wild driving (acceleation/stopping). While I didnt do any wild driving, the car did as I describe suddenly throw car into Park, essentially slamming on the brakes due to the faulty seat weight sensor when I was backing out of the garage.

That error is not present outside of service screen and Autopilot works no problem. Ill drive around for a bit to see if it clears. If not maybe then schedule the appointment. Will also allow me to test out reliability of the seat sensor.

For reference, the seat has sort of like 3 sections, the sensor is in the middle one. I am able to trigger it by pressing with my hand on that middle section

View attachment 1029535

Nice work on the troubleshooting for the seats

I got mine 11/21 but I have 91k miles on it so taking into account that normal mileage is 15k a year, I have 6 years of use on it. Well what I have had fail is the AC Compressor and Supermanifold (I bet the supermanifold was fine but it is Tesla's go to to replace everything) at 70k miles. That was $2500 to repair. My drivers side mirror has a mind of its own and will move all around when changing seat positions (Easy Entry/Drivers Profile). Tesla wants over $1k to fix. I just don't use Easy Entry anymore and it doesn't move as much, but still sometimes moves and I have to adjust it via the screen. I didn't realize my seat sensor was bad until I read this forum. Mine wasn't as easy as a fix as the original poster and seeing I am way to impatient to order a part, I borrowed the sensor from the middle rear seat and put it in the drivers seat. I plugged in the defective sensor in the middle rear seat and just left it underneath the seat since it doesn't work but this way I don't have an errors/warnings. My car originally had 326 miles of range and I'm down to 293, so a 10% loss. I am hoping to keeps it a few more years. (another 70k miles). I have been debating on purchasing a 3rd party warranty for the battery and motors...I am leaning towards not doing that though.

Picked up my Y June 2020. I’m in the last week or two of the warranty. Only have ~25k miles on the car, and IIRC 3-4 visits from mobile service/SC.All minor issues.. I’ve also been back and forth on the extended warranty the last two months. I’ve had two extended warranties on two vehicles. On one, I came out ahead due to a $2k repair on a 2014 Avalon, the other I didnt on a 2006 Lexus LS. For the Y, I’ll self insure, and park the 2-4K in a high yield savings account. Just my nickel opinion.

Reactions: Daekwan and flixden