Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parrot Asteroid SMART 2DIN Head Unit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to update the thread. I finally decided to have a "pro" install the system as I wanted to make sure it was done correctly and I didnt want to destroy my Carbon Fiber interior. I did write up an extensive set of notes thanks to all the advice on this thread and the installer did a wonderful job. He completely removed the Alpine system (except the rearview camera) and then ran multiple USB connections out of the parrot to my required areas. Some notes: I had the installer tie directly into the 12v off the cig adapter in order to make sure it would not "wake" the roadster with minor vibrations. Since the roadster will be garaged for the better part of the winter, I wanted to ensure no extra energy was being wasted by cycling the car. I also had the "ipod/iphone" usb cable replaced with a straight thru micro usb since I dont use apple for my phone. Finally, I routed a usb cable into the area next to the door by the steering wheel where the trunk release is. I installed a MIFI for all time Internet usage. It fits perfectly and I will remove it when the car gets store. (i use the sim to swap with the mifi and my tablet)

If you are looking for an upgrade to the roadster, I would highly recommend this unit. While it is not perfect, it sure beats the Alpine and almost all other units I looked at. Just having OVMS available on the dash makes the roadster feel more like the technology beast that is known as the Model S. And man is it fun watching Sunday NFL ticket while charging! Thanks to everyone, especially Markwj for hints tips, and the inspiration to upgrade the HUD!

J

Could you post your notes maybe and other advice from the install? Thanks.

A comment on 'volume control'.

As those who use it know, the volume control in the Parrot Asteroid is demanding in the Roadster. Trying to slide your finger on the volume slider while the car bounces about, and continually having to adjust the volume as ambient noise changes with speed, is a hassle. External HID keyboards are better, but generally ugly.

The solution I finally ended up with is to (a) install Asteroid Tweaker, (b) re-map the volume button to be volume-down, (c) re-map the running-apps button to be volume-up, (d) setup speed-aware volume adjustment as +1 for each 10kph above 20kph. With (b) through (d) all done through Asteroid Tweaker.

You can get Asteroid Tweaker here: Parrot Asteroid Customisation

It is side-loaded and has several very very good features.

All you lose is the ability to call up the recent apps with one button, but you can get that by just holding down the second button from the top (home). With this approach, volume up and down adjustment is just a single press, and the need to adjust volume reduced anyway because it does it for you as the car speeds up and slows down.

I'm done with this now. It is as perfect as it can be.

Regards, Mark.

I posted somewhere else but Pioneer may support Carplay for Apple iOS devices so that might be one other option. The Parrot is the best there is right now at least.

Not to mention this thing is running on some old hardware. What kind of CPU and how many cores is it running? RAM? That's why it's appealing to some to mount an Android tablet in the dash, more power.

I've read that the parrot has a 7 band equalizer (like the Classic) with a crossover on the sub. That's it. Most $150 head units will have some sort treble and bass adjustment. I had a cheap JVC that allowed a 3 band parametric equalizer.

I would say this unit would beat all other Android units in the same category as far as sound quality and telephony integration. However, for $600, you could have had a pioneer, or a kenwood DD with crossovers and a little less internets and stuffs. Heck, forget DD, get a pioneer deh 80prs, which has some phone integration, to get a top notch audio system with some change left over for an amp for your sub. You gotta pick your battles

For $500, and change, you get a 2DIN unit with fantastic telephony, great sound, google maps navigation, built-in navigation, waze, pandora, spotify, tunein, podcasts, etc, etc, etc. And the unit is open to add whatever other apps you need. Nothing else I've seen comes close.

The Parrot is not perfect, but it is the best I've seen.

Sticking a 7" android tablet onto the dash, running audio from a 3.5mm headphone jack, just doesn't do it for me.

For $500, and change, you get a 2DIN unit with fantastic telephony, great sound, google maps navigation, built-in navigation, waze, pandora, spotify, tunein, podcasts, etc, etc, etc. And the unit is open to add whatever other apps you need. Nothing else I've seen comes close.

The Parrot is not perfect, but it is the best I've seen.

Sticking a 7" android tablet onto the dash, running audio from a 3.5mm headphone jack, just doesn't do it for me.

Maybe not, but you would have way more functionality not to mention power.

After alot of digging, it looks like the Parrot runs on a 800mhz processor. Couple that with Android 2.3 and this head unit was outdated the minute it was released...

After alot of digging, it looks like the Parrot runs on a 800mhz processor. Couple that with Android 2.3 and this head unit was outdated the minute it was released...

Outdated for what? As an Android tablet, sure. But, not as a car head unit. For that purpose, it is way ahead of anything else I've seen from the major suppliers.

Sure, I'd much prefer it if it ran Android 4.x, lots of ram, and had a quad core processor - in the Tesla I'm not worried about power usage.

But, bottom line is that it works fine for what it was intended for - a head unit. The processor and screen is a hell of a lot more responsive than the US$3,000 Alpine head unit it replaced. Let's not even talk about the Alpine Windows CE navigation module...

Reactions: driver_EV
+1 for sure...far more flexible and enjoyable to use than the stock Alpine... upgrade the speakers and add a couple of amps, the sound is great!

Outdated for what? As an Android tablet, sure. But, not as a car head unit. For that purpose, it is way ahead of anything else I've seen from the major suppliers.

Sure, I'd much prefer it if it ran Android 4.x, lots of ram, and had a quad core processor - in the Tesla I'm not worried about power usage.

But, bottom line is that it works fine for what it was intended for - a head unit. The processor and screen is a hell of a lot more responsive than the US$3,000 Alpine head unit it replaced. Let's not even talk about the Alpine Windows CE navigation module...

Well, I finally got home from my long overseas trip, and picked up my wonderfully renovated Roadster, with an elegantly installed Parrot Asteroid Smart. The team at Vancouver Tesla Service did an outstanding job, and I am super pleased. After having played with the unit on the way home and for the past two days in the garage, I am really glad I made this investment in the modernization of my Roadster, and grateful to markwj for pioneering this whole thing :biggrin:.

I will have more pictures to post soon, as well as more observations and adventures in the software customization arena. For now, here is one photo communicative of how thorough Tesla Vancouver was in doing the upgrade:

DDIN 4.jpg

Also, one quick issue and a question for Mark: I have rooted and installed the Google Play store, as well as a number of useful unofficial apps. However, the Play Store on the car will not show Google Maps, and the store on the web explicitly says Google Maps is "Incompatible with your device." Perhaps Google has upgraded it beyond what will run on the flavour of Android on the Asteroid? Mark, or others, any insights?

Reactions: driver_EV
Also, one quick issue and a question for Mark: I have rooted and installed the Google Play store, as well as a number of useful unofficial apps. However, the Play Store on the car will not show Google Maps, and the store on the web explicitly says Google Maps is "Incompatible with your device." Perhaps Google has upgraded it beyond what will run on the flavour of Android on the Asteroid? Mark, or others, any insights?

It definitely runs (I use it daily).

You do need the correct version of play services. It has been a while since I did it, but this (long) thread is helpful and contains some pointers to sites with the correct versions:

(car audio) Parrot ASTEROID Smart - xda-developers

It definitely runs (I use it daily).

You do need the correct version of play services. It has been a while since I did it, but this (long) thread is helpful and contains some pointers to sites with the correct versions:

(car audio) Parrot ASTEROID Smart - xda-developers

I think I figured it out. It is not about the store version, but about the version of Google Maps itself.

Recently, Google did a major rewrite from V6.x to V7.x. It seems that V7.x is not compatible with the old Gingerbread-derived version of Android that comes with the Asteroid Smart. That is why even the web store on my laptop will not provide the current version. I found a forum thread where someone had developed a spoofing tool that allows installation of incompatible apps, but that sounded like a deal with the devil, so I did not go that way.

Since apparently, a lot of people do not like the substantial UI changes in the new Maps V7.x, a number have taken it upon themselves to post side-loadable apk's based on Google Maps V6.x. I found a reasonable one here: Good Old Google Maps. I got it installed, and it seems to work fine, with a very adequate set of features, including the ability to login to my account and pick up My Places, etc.

This might not be the only approach to work, but it is fine for me.

Vger, have you tried Waze (from the Asteroid store) yet...I have been using it based on Mark's testimonial...finding it very good and entertaining...when travelling to Toronto from Niagara this morning, the notifications of "locations of Police vehicles", and of "debris on the roads" have been very accurate and helpful indeed!

Vger, have you tried Waze (from the Asteroid store) yet...I have been using it based on Mark's testimonial...finding it very good and entertaining...when travelling to Toronto from Niagara this morning, the notifications of "locations of Police vehicles", and of "debris on the roads" have been very accurate and helpful indeed!

I have had a glance at it, but not used it yet. I do plan to check it out. Thanks.