Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Part 2 reveal (post Q1 results CC)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have they? Do you have some reference to a place where they mentioned it before?
Here are three references:
Uber CEO To Tesla: Sell Me Half A Million Autonomous Electric Cars In 2020
Elon Musk teases a new autonomous ‘Tesla Mobility’ service

There's another reference I remember where someone else asked Elon directly about it last year but I forget which talk. It's also been talked about in the news as a serious potential route for Tesla (or other companies) for the past three years.

That is a bit different. Yes, they talked about making Model 3 for Uber / Taxi type services, but I don't think the idea that private owners could temporarily send their car off to make some money then come back was mentioned.

Interesting email conversation I had with inside sales person stated that part 2 of the reveal won't be until next year sometime. Take it for what it's worth I guess, but was bit bummed to hear that and not hear it would be sometime this year if it really is true.

Total speculation on my part, but I'd think that Tesla will probably make a decision on when to do the Part 2 reveal depending on how well the Bolt is received. The Bolt is supposed to start being delivered ~October this year. If Tesla gets any sense that some Model 3 reservation holders are heading to the Bolt camp (or the Bolt is just getting more press than Tesla wants it to), I'd think Part 2 will happen before the end of the year (most likely sometime after the election and before Thanksgiving). Otherwise, Part 2 probably won't happen until 2017.

Total speculation on my part, but I'd think that Tesla will probably make a decision on when to do the Part 2 reveal depending on how well the Bolt is received.

Don't think they play this way. Tesla will control the initiative and work to control as much customer money as possible. Right now the dialog is between Tesla and the customers. Tesla will work to keep it a dialog, pre-empting any Bolt infringement on the relationship. As long as the 3 brings value and stays in a price range that can support production goals, a series of reveals should let them ignore the Bolt.

Tesla will keep the Bolt off the stage.