Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passed by Tesla factory this morning and saw lots of 3s being loaded onto carriers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I pass by the southern lot of Tesla everyday on the way to work. For the last half of November and early December, there were probably a thousand white 3's in the lot. Last week the lot had white, dark greys and a few blacks. Today there are quite a few blues and a reds. These are all getting loaded onto truck car carriers. So I would expect those of us waiting on non-white 3's to start seeing delivery dates in the next few days.

Of course they are all getting put on trucks to deliver everywhere except bay area.
Would expect nothing different from Tesla at this point:rolleyes:

Yes, expected. Because of shipping lead times, they should be sending cars across the country this week and halfway across the country next week.

Presumably production for Christmas week will be targeted for local delivery, Bay area and perhaps SoCal.

Reactions: liuping and house9
Yes, expected. Because of shipping lead times, they should be sending cars across the country this week and halfway across the country next week.

Presumably production for Christmas week will be targeted for local delivery, Bay area and perhaps SoCal.
LOL... yes, I feel it so much better that Tesla deliver's to everyone that order their cars in Nov/Dec before they deliver to customers that ordered in Oct :confused:. They must figure everyone in California won't be going out of town for Christmas/New Years Holidays:rolleyes:

I was on 101 yesterday near 85 and saw a Tesla car carrier heading southbound on 101. I did a TeslaCam capture and will look later to see what I captured. If I recall correctly the trailer didn't have any white cars on it, think there were red and darker colors. Carrier looked full.

LOL... yes, I feel it so much better that Tesla deliver's to everyone that order their cars in Nov/Dec before they deliver to customers that ordered in Oct :confused:. They must figure everyone in California won't be going out of town for Christmas/New Years Holidays:rolleyes:
Yes, I’ve never understood Tesla’s rationale for leaving the Bay Area totally last. This is especially strange when there are early October orders will waiting.

Any other quarter would work, but Christmas time is a big travel time. Tesla will get stuck with a lot of inventory cars if they aren’t on to each sale.

Tesla’s intention of booking delivery appointments at 15 minute intervals is not workable. People will drag it out longer, and it will resemble going to a 2:30 appointment at a surgeons office. You will be backed up in a long line.

I’m sorry that some people will have to endure this.

Reactions: msm859
maybe they feel with the deliveries closer to "home" that they have more control over them? after all for any place other than fremont or other delivery centers in the immediate bay area there's days-long latency in driving the cars out to the delivery center. conceivably a car could roll off the production line in the morning and be in a customer's hand that evening.

one of my friends said that last year they had engineers helping out with deliveries in fremont, so it's all hands on deck. since they can't pull stuff like that in los angeles or really any other city, it almost makes sense to leave the bay area last. if a whole bunch of cars went to texas or something right at the end of the year they risk not actually delivering them, whereas over here they can get one of the facilities maintenance people to deliver the car if need be :eek:

I live in the desert some 70 miles NNE of Los Angeles. In my last two visits to LA, I spotted one car carrier each day. Each was loaded with Teslas. One of them I happened to get next to, although two lanes to his left. I waved to the driver and got a wave back, much to my surprise. My guess is that driver is also a fanboy. It's sort of weird that on those trips I hadn't seen carriers hauling other brands. But then I recall one guy in the forums say you can't swing a dead cat in this town without hitting three Teslas. lol

• Funny
Reactions: azjohn and marco33
I think there would be two types of buyers that agree with you that Tesla is doing this as more control.
1.) Those that already got their car
2.) Those that ordered in December with a lick and promise they can get their cars ahead of others waiting.

I'm not ragging on you, just kind of get frustrated of the justifications these two types seem to have with Tesla current manufacturing/delivery .

Do you think all these last minute cars just magically appeared available out of thin air or do you think Tesla decided to make a bunch non-ordered cars for delivery before building the large backlog of Octobers orders? I am willing to bet serious $ on the later.

I apologize, I'm having another bad day.

maybe they feel with the deliveries closer to "home" that they have more control over them? after all for any place other than fremont or other delivery centers in the immediate bay area there's days-long latency in driving the cars out to the delivery center. conceivably a car could roll off the production line in the morning and be in a customer's hand that evening.

one of my friends said that last year they had engineers helping out with deliveries in fremont, so it's all hands on deck. since they can't pull stuff like that in los angeles or really any other city, it almost makes sense to leave the bay area last. if a whole bunch of cars went to texas or something right at the end of the year they risk not actually delivering them, whereas over here they can get one of the facilities maintenance people to deliver the car if need be :eek:
Not my market area, but after what I have learned and experienced with Tesla over the past few months..."it's take it or not" from Tesla! I would not be surprised if the remaining customers in a significant radius of Fremont get a "take it or not" before year's end. Like, "you can come get it, but we aren't shipping it in time for areas of California"...something like that.

I hope you all get VINs and deliveries very soon, and get what you want by when you want!

Reactions: AZjohnInCA
I think there would be two types of buyers that agree with you that Tesla is doing this as more control.
1.) Those that already got their car
2.) Those that ordered in December with a lick and promise they can get their cars ahead of others waiting.

I'm not ragging on you, just kind of get frustrated of the justifications these two types seem to have with Tesla current manufacturing/delivery .

Do you think all these last minute cars just magically appeared available out of thin air or do you think Tesla decided to make a bunch non-ordered cars for delivery before building the large backlog of Octobers orders? I am willing to bet serious $ on the later.

I apologize, I'm having another bad day.

that's all right, it's useful to have this forum to rant from time to time. makes me feel better anyway.

the thing is, whether we like it or not, tesla is a business with shareholders. they are going to do everything up to and including pissing off legitimate customers in order to make profit on a quarterly basis. i'm not really trying to justify what they are doing other than to say that if they think they can make more profit in this manner then that's why they are doing it.

i certainly don't like it either; after what i was told this morning i'm starting to think i'm not getting the car this year. and we all know from the experience of others that if you don't get it at the end of the current quarter then you'll get it at the end of the next. of course the SA told me "don't stress, it's just a car" and "hey you'll get it in january if you don't get it in december" which i don't think is true at all.

bottom line is when demand is as high as it is for any product, it's a seller's market, and fair play goes right out the window.

Reactions: AZjohnInCA

The Bay area is a large area with lots of traffic. Maybe not like LA, but Fremont is not in an easily accessible place.

I don't think Tesla "drives" cars to delivery centers for delivery. It's a waste of manpower. They put them on carriers, and transport them to delivery centers just like everyone else. So relative to So Cal, it's only a day less on the road. That little. The hard part for Tesla is likely to clean the cars up, figure out what is what, setting up appointments, and delivering them. San Francisco is likely no different that Sacramento and a day easier than LA. That's all!

All hands on deck is not a good way to deliver cars. Engineers don't know anything about delivering a car. Even SAs make a poor substitute for a DA.

I got my car early - one of those "non-scheduled" cars that were made before fulfilling lots of October orders. Everything else is just an issue of low regard for customer service.

You have to remember, Elon Musk stands to make (from what I've read) over $50B in stock options if he raises the market capitalization of the company to a certain point. This ensures that the company is all about pleasing shareholders, not buyers. Tesla raises delivery numbers, they raise analyst expectations and they raise the stock price. Thus, if the cars are sold in Dubai or in San Francisco - it is not relevant.

For a metropolitan area that hosts their HQ and factory - and probably buys more cars than any other place - Tesla doesn't treat the Bay Area very well.

And, as I've said before, if I didn't pick up a (non-scheduled) stealth earlier this month - I would still be waiting on my Oct 11th order for a LR AWD. I got lucky and paid $2K for the privilege. I feel badly for those who will have to endure the hordes of people rushing for cars.

i wasn't suggesting they drive the cars to the delivery centers in the immediate area, i just meant that the places on the peninsula and as far as walnut creek are 1-2h hours away. that's fundamentally different than driving 400-500miles. they can make multiple trips per day on short notice if need be.

regardless i was really talking about fremont; i am assuming that cars delivered there are some of the last to be shipped in the quarter.

i didn't say i agree with what tesla is doing, i'm just saying that profit (and elon musk's personal profit) come first. that's how our system works. i didn't invent it, i was just born here :D... either way i think we are in violent agreement.

anyway i am just caught up in this stuff - need a car near the end of next quarter, but also need the stickers in place before the end of next quarter. so i either buy some other PHEV (which i don't want) or some other EV, or i suffer the slings and arrows of being a bay area tesla customer now.

Reactions: ZappCatt
The Bay area is a large area with lots of traffic. Maybe not like LA, but Fremont is not in an easily accessible place.

LOL, you lost me at "Fremont is not in an easily accessible place" The Factory is seriously on the frontage road of a major Freeway(880), and 680(the other major Freeway) also passes through Fremont, along with 84 which is the continuation of the road which crosses one of the bridges in the Bay Area.

Tesla plans deliveries in the quarter the same way every time.

1. Early quarter, focus is on international deliveries.
2. Mid quarter, focus is on east coast then middle of country.
3. As the quarter end approaches, focus is on west coast.

It's based on the transport logistics. It's not an exact science, especially as they don't only ship cars to a region based on an existing order. So if there are 20 customer orders for a white SR+, they manufacture and allocate 30 white SR+ vehicles to that spot. This allows them to deliver cars that have just been ordered, because there is already a car in transit or sitting in that region.

Reactions: house9
Status
Not open for further replies.