Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger door handle does not present itself

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi I have a 2018 Model S 75D, all the other door handles present themselves when unlocked except the front passenger. Car is currently out of warranty. I put in a service request and they quoted me $873.
1. How close are Tesla's estimates to actual costs?
2. Can anyone recommend a cheaper alternative?
Thank you!

There are links to replacing door handles on YouTube or this link may help.

I just wanted to share my door handle issue. I had my passenger front door get stuck 'presented' and would not open and not go back in. My daughter had yanked on it when it was frozen forced it open.

Being a DIY and not have a warranty (2018 P100D) removed the door handle and replaced it with a used ebay handle.

Door now works but it will not present itself. you just push lightly on the handle and the door pops open.

After some research I realized the new handle may just need recalibrating to tell the car when it is open or closed.

Tesla service estimate was worsed case $8XX (that is for a new handle plus install etc) but the tech was able to get everything working correctly for $20 (very nice guy). He recalibrated all doors and the charge port with the service computer. No issues since.

There is also a solution for this “un-operational” door handle on your own. It’s known that after the handle change you need to redeploy firmware so that the car will recognise it. Recently it’s widely known that users can get to the “service” functions on their car’s and this allows them to choose this redeployment.