Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passing Lane Mirror Signal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Radlaw

Charles
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2018
San Diego California
One of the features I miss on my Tesla 3 is the signal in the mirror when the is a vehicle in my passing lane. I realize there is a signal on the screen when there is a vehicle to close for me to change lanes. However, to see it I must take my eyes off the road and look at the screen. It's nice to be able to quickly look at the side mirror and immediately note whether it's save to changes lanes or not. Are there any aftermarket devices that do this?

A few options to mitigate:
  • How To Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots (though the small mirrors and shape of the C pillar and rear window may mean just moving the blind spot back so that it does not overlap your car).
  • With recent software, using the turn signal shows a camera view to the rear quarter. But this works better for the passenger side than the driver side.
  • Stick on convex mirrors are readily available.

Don’t know about you but when I was taught to drive I was told to turn my head and look over my shoulder.
Yes, I was taught that also when I got my 1st liscense in 1955. I do that all the time. That's not the point! The mirror signal is just an added safety feature, particularity with all the electronic features now days.

One of the features I miss on my Tesla 3 is the signal in the mirror when the is a vehicle in my passing lane. I realize there is a signal on the screen when there is a vehicle to close for me to change lanes. However, to see it I must take my eyes off the road and look at the screen.

I agree - "the look at the center screen while changing lanes" is a terrible, unsafe idea.

It's nice to be able to quickly look at the side mirror and immediately note whether it's save to changes lanes or not. Are there any aftermarket devices that do this?

If you mirrors are properly adjusted, you need neither the "additional blind spot" attachments, nor the yellow fleshing lights on the mirror housing.
"3sr+buyer" has posted excellent written instructions. Follow them, they REALLY work.
If you are a visual personal, here is a YouTube video that illustrates the same process:

I agree - "the look at the center screen while changing lanes" is a terrible, unsafe idea.

If you mirrors are properly adjusted, you need neither the "additional blind spot" attachments, nor the yellow fleshing lights on the mirror housing.
"3sr+buyer" has posted excellent written instructions. Follow them, they REALLY work.
If you are a visual personal, here is a YouTube video that illustrates the same process:

This worked for me on all my other cars for the last 20 years except for the Model 3, there's just not enough adjustment on the driver's side for me to completely eliminate the blind spot in this car unfortunately.

@Radlaw I tried stick on blind spot mirrors but they're very difficult to see at night with multiple dots of lights reflected in the tiny mirror and also the bigger wing mirror, I ended up with blue tinted wide angle mirror replacements for both outside mirrors. Now there's truly no blind spot.

Last edited:
This worked for me on all my other cars for the last 20 years except for the Model 3, there's just not enough adjustment on the driver's side for me to completely eliminate the blind spot in this car unfortunately.
YES! Every time this blindspot issue comes up, several posters respond with "learn how to adjust your mirrors to eliminate the blindspot." The problem is that is not possible with the Model 3. The mirrors do not have enough horizontal range of motion to move them out away from the car enough to eliminate the blindspot. I suppose it works for some people based on where their seat position is, but for me, I would need to tilt the driver's mirror much further left than it can possibly move.

I’ve always thought that since the car knows when it can’t change lanes when using auto pilot, that at least we can be sure the cameras see the blind spot. So in addition to visually showing the camera, Tesla should have a distinct audible chime as well. This way no eyes off the road. Simple software update would do the trick.

I’ve always thought that since the car knows when it can’t change lanes when using auto pilot, that at least we can be sure the cameras see the blind spot. So in addition to visually showing the camera, Tesla should have a distinct audible chime as well. This way no eyes off the road. Simple software update would do the trick.
It does beep at you, but only when you 1. signal and 2. try to change lanes and is about to crash into a car

Only if using Auto Pilot. I'm Suggesting it does that if we are driving our cars, not on autopilot.
Absolutely untrue. It will beep at you under manual control, I know cuz I've almost merged into a car on my left and the Model 3 was like "beep! You idiot!". Was definitely not on AP, but with signal on.

Attachments

• 2022-12-08 18_50_48-Lane Assist.png
    2022-12-08 18_50_48-Lane Assist.png
    33.9 KB · Views: 132
Not sure, if you're in someone's Blindspot then they should be ahead or slightly ahead of you.

It's unlikely someone will merge into your car in your Blindspot, but anything is possible on the road i guess!
On 2 occasions someone to the left of and slightly adhead of me verred to their right causing me to serve toward the right. It would have been nice to have been alerted quickly when the car began to drift as opposed to me eventually noticing the car.

Absolutely untrue. It will beep at you under manual control, I know cuz I've almost merged into a car on my left and the Model 3 was like "beep! You idiot!". Was definitely not on AP, but with signal on.
This is under autopilot and I have had it checked on. It would be nice if this occurred when not on autopilot is what I'm suggesting since im not always on autopilot.

• Disagree
Reactions: XPsionic and Radlaw