Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passing Porsche and Lambo at Laguna Seca

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honest question:

The Porsche driver wasn’t very good. He attempted to pass on the outside and on a straightaway, which is what you’re supposed to do. It looked like (to me) the Porsche driver moved to the outside without checking and that’s why he went in the dirt to avoid the collision.

My question is was that a track specific section where you’re not supposed to pass? Did he he need to wait for a wave by?

If I was that Porsche driver and saw a car on me like that I would’ve stayed on my line and slowed down to allow the driver from the rear to overtake me in that straight area, not go wide and setup for the next turn. It was clear he was overmatched.

The porsche driver should’ve been black flagged for that horrible exit out of that turn, lol. That’s what almost caused the accident.

Porsche driver had the right of way, it is the responsibility of the overtaking car to overtake safely. The Porsche was setting up for the next corner which is why he swung to the right. Aside from going off track, OP also came dangerously close to rear ending the Porsche. The GT3's brakes are much more effective. This is not a race and every driver is required to attend a drivers meeting where they explain track rules before the sessions start. It looks like OP saw a Porsche and the lambo and went 10/10 to try to overtake them for bragging rights.

I am not sure what the exact overtaking rules were for the exact event OP attended but here is an example from Porsche club America:

PCA CLUB RACING PASSING RULES 1. The driver attempting a pass has the responsibility to complete a clean pass. 2. The car ahead at turn in has the corner but does not “own” the corner. 3. Everyone must leave racing room.

Last edited:
...PCA CLUB RACING PASSING RULES 1. The driver attempting a pass has the responsibility to complete a clean pass. 2. The car ahead at turn in has the corner but does not “own” the corner. 3. Everyone must leave racing room.

Those rules apply at every level of racing, and yet, there's always conflict, as Rule 1 and Rule 3 constantly conflict with one another.

In the OP's video, the Tesla is making a pass on the Porsche. According to Rule 1, it's obviously the overtaker's responsibility to make a clean pass, but Rule 3 also says everyone must leave racing room. When the Tesla was alongside, the pass isn't complete, but the Porsche also needs to leave racing room. The Tesla had taken the racing line, because the Porsche had left the line, upon turn exit. That could easily have been interpreted as letting the Tesla by.

The Porsche driver was off the racing line all the way thru the Corkscrew, never once hitting an apex or running over the kerbing. A driver that much lower in experience needs to watch their mirrors and let the faster cars by as quickly as possible. If I were the Tesla, I would just assume the Porsche driver was waving me by. That's what going to the opposite side of the racing line means.

Reactions: DrtyJrze
I saw a 30-40 yr old guy driving a Lamborghini Aventador, who looked like he truly loved cars, and was def driving it hard.

I challenged him and the Tesla Model 3 Dual motor was able to keep up. Not beat him, but I kept up with him, and he said hi to me. I was surprised a normal luxury car was able to take on a $300-500k car.

I have rented a Lamborghini Huracan before. It's a monster, it's not forgiving, I feel its a car that can kill stupid people. It feels like carrying a heavy duty machine gun out in public.

If I were the Tesla, I would just assume the Porsche driver was waving me by. That's what going to the opposite side of the racing line means.

Making an assumption like that would get your car damaged fairly quickly. You either get a signal to pass or you don't. Using the 'body language' of a car in front to work out what they're going to do next is not advisable with a novice driver.

If you're on track in a group of mixed abilities you have to be prepared to be patient with some drivers. Did you take the perfect line the very first lap you drove at every track? Or the second, or the third?

Neither car was on the 'racing' line thru that corner. In those cases the sensible thing to do is hang back for 5 more seconds to see what the car in front is up to and line up a pass for the next proper straight. If you plan it ahead far enough, you minimise your time loss and also the chances of something unpredictable happening.

It's not actual racing. It really doesn't matter if you take a couple of corners to pass. Other than the damage to your own ego of course.

I've been driving on track for many, many years and lost count of how may laps I've done. I've never had any sort of coming together. I don't even remember having a near miss of my own making. I've seen a lot of bad driving and kept my distance where appropriate. You have to drive defensively on track days. It's the opposite of race driving.

I saw a 30-40 yr old guy driving a Lamborghini Aventador, who looked like he truly loved cars, and was def driving it hard.

I challenged him and the Tesla Model 3 Dual motor was able to keep up. Not beat him, but I kept up with him, and he said hi to me. I was surprised a normal luxury car was able to take on a $300-500k car.

I have rented a Lamborghini Huracan before. It's a monster, it's not forgiving, I feel its a car that can kill stupid people. It feels like carrying a heavy duty machine gun out in public.

totally on-topic post.

The Porsche driver was off the racing line all the way thru the Corkscrew, never once hitting an apex or running over the kerbing. A driver that much lower in experience needs to watch their mirrors and let the faster cars by as quickly as possible.

If you're on track in a group of mixed abilities you have to be prepared to be patient with some drivers. Did you take the perfect line the very first lap you drove at every track? Or the second, or the third?

My thinking is similar to what Ken observed. The Porsche lines were so horrible that coming out of the turn so wide could have been interpreted as letting the Tesla pass.

BUT electric dream made the real point that you have to be more patient than that when an obvious noob is on the track. The Porsche driver was clearly overwhelmed by the experience and wasn’t able to fully process their surroundings. IMO, the Porsche move to the outside when the Tesla had already established that line was the black flag offense.

Reactions: KenC
Given how slow they were driving, this had to be a point by group or limited passing group. The Porsche guy was obviously driving slow, you don’t need to buzz him like that. He was lapping like I was lapping my leaf.

Is it me or the car seems awfully quiet? With the stock tires, you should hear the tires scream.