Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passive Entry - Why change the ‘default’ settings?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We Tesla owners enjoy the most advanced car in the world, why on earth would anyone other than the most insecure drivers, want to cease the fabulous ease of ‘Passive Entry’ to our Teslas, by locking up our cars in such an unfriendly & complicated manner?

OK, so there are some owners who may lack the confidence of such a useful facility; or perhaps they’ve chosen to live/ park in dangerous or dodgy areas. If I felt that I’d parked in such a place, OK I’d manually switch ‘Passive’’ off, if I felt it was that necessary, but I'd always normally want, (by default) to enjoy 'Passive Entry,' such a useful & convenient way of unlocking & entering my car.

Moreover, whatever edict has motivated the Tesla engineers to change this default setting? Why on earth have these programmers produced such a clumsy software revision, that refuses to respect the individual's normal or prefered settings?

Instead of welcoming new updates, I now almost dread the prospect of attempting to get into my car, when I discover before I can depart, I’m forced to waste time resetting my normal settings, all because these engineers have interfered with my earlier presets, even to gain access to my car, in my own garage!

How could they have the temerity to change my settings, this smacks of either pure arrogance, laziness or both!

Tesla, please think again of how your advanced systems can so easily & clumsily be updated, or with which can be interfered, to the detriment of the owner. Please revise this unwieldy process.

Then Tesla need to improve their key fob coding, to ensure the security such devices promise.

Pretty sure it's not something they can update via software. It's a hardware issue, and one that basically every car suffers from.It's inherently susceptible to repeater attacks because of the way the system works.

> How could they have the temerity to change my settings, this smacks of either pure arrogance, laziness or both!

Because a lot of cars are being stolen due to people being unaware of the setting. Forcing it to be off by default instantly secures all cars, and if you want to enable it, you can take 2 seconds and do so. Small price to pay for securing cars.

> Moreover, whatever edict has motivated the Tesla engineers to change this default setting? Why on earth have these programmers produced such a clumsy software revision, that refuses to respect the individual's normal or prefered settings?

Like above, because cars are being stolen. It's impossible for them to check if you prefer this setting, or just didn't know it was there. Disabling it by default is the safest option for everyone.

Reactions: Ande
I think the motivation is probably tied to warranty claims over anything else. Changing the default will mean less open and close cycles from owners walking into their garage or by their Tesla when they don't intend to get into it.